Florida-North Florida

Tacky or Ok?

Hello everyone!  Hope the wedding planning is going ok!  I need help deciding if something is tacky or ok...  We are having a pretty low budget wedding in St. Augustine - the actual wedding is on the beach and then afterwards we are going to the Officer's Club for the reception.  We are having Sonny's BBQ cater our food, so my question is, is it ok for the glasses, tableware and silverware to be plastic if I get the nice, clear plastic stuff?  Even though my wedding is low budget, I still want it to look nice, so I'm on the fence about this.  It'll save me TONS of money, but I don't want someone thinking that it's tacky and such.  What's your opinion?  Thanks!

Re: Tacky or Ok?

• pag4989pag4989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I know you can go to some party supply stores and get plastic plates etc. that almost look like real china.
  • toblave13toblave13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't think it's tacky. We had Sonny's BBQ our wedding and that was the original plan. I will tell you though that we ended up renting China (on my dad's insistence, and his buck) because of concern over the "messiness" issue. I have to admit that even on china BBQ was messy and I was glad we'd done it. I think if you get sturdy enough stuff you should be okay but it's just something to consider. FYI: We paid a little over $2pp for a dinner plate, fork, knife, and water goblet. We stuck with the plastic stuff for the cake.

Oh, and they may have already told you this but make sure you tell Sonny's you don't need their plastic stuff that they provide. They took some of the cost off for us because we didn't need it.

imageDaisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!  I appreciate your thoughts and ideas!  I think I'll stick with the sturdy plastic Cool
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the wedding biz, and I see TONS of weddings with plasticware, and it totally doesn't end up looking tacky or low budget.  In fact, I think if you are doing bbq, it's definitely all a go!  Good luck! 
  • prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not tacky I went to a wedding about two years ago the family fixed the food but we ate off of clear plasticware. It didn't matter to me the food was still good :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think plasticware is fine. We used heavy plastic from Sams and it really held up.
  • nmh3878nmh3878 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can go to Sam's/Costcos/BJ's and buy the nice clear plasticware in bulk; which would be cheaper than a party store!
  • edited December 2011
    I think plastic is fine they even have the silver ware that is silver and plastic it looks sooo real!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards