Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal shower thank you cards - does the groom sign?

Hi all,

Just had my shower from my fiance's family and can't find anything online about this. Should he sign the thank you cards? Also, some of the cards are signed by just the woman who was present at the shower, and others were signed by both husband and wife. Do I address to both? Or do I address however they signed it? Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Bridal shower thank you cards - does the groom sign?

• I signed all my thank yous from my FI and I...don't know if it was right, but we were both at the bridal shower, and we both opened the gifts together, so it seemed appropriate.  And I'm a terrible procrastinator, so I just wanted to write the thank-yous while they were fresh on my mind!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I signed all thank you's from DH and I.

If just the woman signed the card, that's the only person I thanked.

(Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Thank you so much for your thoughts! Did you so both names or did you have your fiance sign his own?
  • No, not unless it was a coed shower,
  • I signed both names.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • According to Crains, Thank You's may be written on behalf of more than one person, but only one person is to sign them.

Example: aMr and I greatly appreciate...
    Love
    aMrs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with aMrs.  Technically the thank you writer is the only person to sign his or her name.  The FI/spouse should be mentioned in the body.

Also, I would address the thank you to whoever signed the card for the shower present.
  • I did it exactly like aMrs described.  In the note, I told them how much FI and I appreciated the gift, etc, but I signed it with just my name because he wasn't there.
  • I like that format aMrs.  I'll be using that for an upcoming wedding shower! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it was a couple's shower, I'd sign both names (but then again, I'd also assume that he was writing at least half of them to his own friends and family). Technically, only one person is ever supposed to sign, but I personally think that's silly. But if the shower was thrown in just your honor, even if he was there, just sign your own name and mention him in the thank you. 

I addressed the thank you to whoever had signed the card, so sometimes just the woman, sometimes the couple, sometimes the whole family.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-thank-cards-groom-sign?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ce85374b-d3a1-4448-9b14-d67303d96e20Post:3a21efc5-e68b-42d4-ba9c-9ce8969fb222">Re: Bridal shower thank you cards - does the groom sign?</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to Crains, Thank You's may be written on behalf of more than one person, but only one person is to sign them. Example: aMr and I greatly appreciate... Love aMrs.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I did.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would probably sign both of our names on the thank-you cards.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since it was MY shower but OUR gifts, I'm going to write the cards from me but also mention FI's appreciation, then sign from me. 

For the wedding, we will probably try to write them together and cosign them. I'd like to split them up by writing them to who we invited, but I don't think FI would do that... Oh boys.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I signed the thank you's with both of our names.  The gifts were for both of us, and we're both thankful for having received them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • Thanks guys- this isnt even something I thought about but my shower was last weekend and I need to write my cards. Good heads up!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards