Christian Weddings
Options

Sunday Question

Hey ladies!  

If you were able to attend church, or if you participated in church via TV or internet today... 

1) What kinds of messages did you hear, and did anything "hit home" for you?

2) Were you reminded of any inspiring Bible passages? 

3) Did you partake in any fellowship opportunities, and did they build your spirit today?

Just wanted to get the ball rolling... I'd love to read some of your answers on any or all of the questions above!   
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Sunday Question

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Well...my parents are out of town until tonight, and my brother (who is also home on break) and I both overslept...so we watched the service of the church that runs my university.  They're doing a "Live Like You Were Dying" series, and the message today focused on how the world thinks you get to Heaven and what the Bible says about how you actually get to Heaven. 

The pastor showed a video of sidewalk interviews asking, "How does a person get to Heaven?" and "What would be the first words out of God's mouth when He sees you in Heaven?"  The answers were so sad, reminding me that we must be vigilant in witnessing to our family, friends, and those we come in contact with. 

I was suprised though, that the video didn't show anyone that didn't believe in Heaven.  Only one answer shown on the video was the "correct," "You must believe in Christ as your savior and repent of your sins."  Everyone else answered with, "You have to follow the rules of your God, gods, Buddah, etc," "You must follow the Golden Rule," "You get to heaven by doing good things," etc. 

John 14:6 was the key passage. "Jesus said to him, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (ESV)

3) Did you partake in any fellowship opportunities, and did they build your spirit today?
    Last night my College Sunday School class at my home church had a game night, since most of us are now home on break.  It was nice for all of us to catch up and not have to worry about school for a few hours. :)
    I've been spending time with my younger brothers today (21 & 16).  The spirit building is between my oldest brother using my arms as a Karate Action figure against my youngest brother.  Our parents should be home by 5.  Here's hoping. :)
  • Options
    kelseydjameskelseydjames member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did the last chapter or Hosea today, and will be starting Matthew next Sunday.

But more influnecial than the actual sermon today was a conversation I had with one of the older women. She is the total mother figure- I just love her! We started talking about the corruption of soceity when it comes to marriage and children these days. One girl I graduated high school with (we're both 20 and college sophmores)  in our church just had a baby, and another (only 18) is pregnant. Both live with their boyfriends and plan on getting married someday, but not right now. What?! We talked about the way that situations like these effect the church and the example that we're supposed to be setting for it. It's just sad that these situations are going on right in our own churches, and that those of us who are trying to live right and set a positive example on the way God wants us to start our families, are being outnumbered and overshadowed by people who think what they're doing is just fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We actually go to church on Saturday nights. Our church has a Worship Loud service, where the message is the same but the music is much more "rock worship". Love it!!!

The message was on Thanksgiving, naturally. Pastor outlined 4 things we should be thankful for and then applied them to real life. I guess what hit home the most for me was, based on my previous post on the hard times I'm going through, was instead of stressing on everything I need to be thankful for what I DO have...even when there is so much I could be wishing I had.

I didn't take notes and he didn't focus on a single passage.

We have "Cafe Hope" after Worship Loud, where they have bread, bagels, sweets, and cookies from Panera as well as coffee and hot chocolate. We always participate in that...! They give away the loaves of bread and we always take some to make homemade croutons and I also got bread to make stuffing on Thursday. Our young adults group went to the leaders house after service last night for a group dinner and to play Kinect. We had a blast eating together and playing Dance Central!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't make it to my church today, but I did spend the morning refreshing and reading.  I was reminded today that I have to make some changes in my life priorities through a program on TV I found (a couple of churches around me have Sunday broadcasts).  

Last week when I went, I was strongly convicted about letting go of hurt and not allowing yourself to become a slave to those who have hurt you.  I have held onto some hurt for a while pertaining to my employment.  As I allowed that to weigh on my heart, I went on Saturday (yesterday) to a School of Education "reconnect and recharge" seminar where I got my Masters, and I was able to actually talk about my experience with other teachers, professors, and the curriculum and change doctoral students... and it didn't HURT!  I was able to let go of the pain and realize some of the amazing Blessings God has given me in my current school.  

I don't have a specific Bible passage to share but I hope to find one this week to keep me inspired to LET GO of the hurt that sometimes comes back into my heart.  

I had time today to fellowship with my parents and my FI (he got back from a business trip, WOOT!) and I was inspired to be very open and honest.  I'm generally an honest person, but usually very quiet.  I have slowly become less "quiet" about things and it is really improving my relationship with my parents, and with my FI.  

On a side note, my FI and I were talking tonight about how we are so excited and I mentioned to him how "surreal" this all feels... how sometimes I think OH MY GOSH I'M PLANNING A WEDDING! and he just kind of chuckled - because he is going through that same emotion.  We've only been engaged since 9/24, and I know many others on TK have been engaged for longer, but we've been talking about marriage since probably December of last year (2009).  We both wanted to be in a good place financially to take the next step and we are both getting there.  

The surreality of all of this wedding and marriage stuff... every day I'm just like I am so blessed to have a FI who loves me like he does.  I'm so blessed to have parents who LOVE being around him and have made him feel like he's part of the family.  I'm so blessed that my FI's family has included me as if I'm part of their family.  They've considered us a "unit" since summer 2009, and probably before that... but at least made it known to me at that time.  

I know many of us could probably say this ... but God brought just the right guy into my life at just the right time and I could not have asked for anyone better than him... he's more than I deserve!

Okay, enough gushing.  God is working in my life this week and I'm going to let Him work.  I cannot do all of this (wedding, career, job potentially changing, and the holiday season) ... without God supporting me.  He's been there for so long and in ways that have made SUCH a difference.  Sometimes I look down and I know that the only way I got through something was that he carried me, much like the footprints in the sand story.

Sorry this was so long.  I just felt inspired to share.  Things aren't perfect, by any means, but I'm finding more and more ways to just be peaceful.  It feels amazing! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I need to get to bed, so this will be short. But I wanted to participate!
    1) What kinds of messages did you hear, and did anything "hit home" for you?Christ the King Sunday- how we need to remember that Jesus is king and put Him above all else. 
    2) Were you reminded of any inspiring Bible passages? Yes, but I don't remember what they were- too tired, haha. 
    3) Did you partake in any fellowship opportunities, and did they build your spirit today?We had communion which I always love. 
    Ahhh I know I didn't get into much detail, but like I said, I'm beat! Goodnight! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards