California-Los Angeles
Options

Alterations in LA

Hey girls! I am looking for a great, yet reasonable bridal alterations shop. It can be affiliated with a bridal salon or a stand-alone shop anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area (Westside, Valley or Downtown would be ideal).  I'm debating whether to take my dress to Michigan (where the wedding will be) to have it altered. Also, how much did you pay for your basic alterations (hem, sizing, bustle) in LA? Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alterations in LA

• Options
    czarinamaeczarinamae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard lots of great reviews by Renee In Stitches.  She's in the Woodland Hills area.  I'm planning on going to her when I get my dress in.  I hear prices are rally reasonable as well. 
    Photobucket
    Sep 2011 Siggy Challenge: Flower Inspiration
    Planning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Reene (not pronounced Renee, like re-knee) in Woodland Hills and she's great.  I found her through the ladies on TK as well.  She did a lot to my dress.  Hem, removed fabric from my train, the bodice was taken in (through 3 layers of boning- she hated my dress!), cups sewn in, and she made my cathedral length drop veil for $350.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also went with Reene and loved what she did for me! The prices are great and she's adorable! Totally recommend her!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I bet alterations are alot less in Michigan.  I had 2 quotes around $300 and I knew Renee would be about the same so I just had them done at David's bridal where I bought my dress because they were the least expensive.  If I knew alterations were going to cost twice what I budgeted I would have purchased a different dress.  And I only needed a hem, cups sewn in, 1 bustle.  Too much $$ I wish they would add that into the price of the damn dress. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alright I'm going to be the odd one here....

I went to Reene as well...and I went to her thinking she was awesome.

IMHO she's just ok and her prices are ok as well. Don't get me wrong she is VERY nice and knows what she is talking about BUT I don't know there's certain things she said she was going to do to the dress that I thought they were going to help the look of the dress and I'm sorry I look @ our wedding pics and it bothers me. Like the straps...she said it would help hold the dress well in certain pics it ruined the pic cux they stick out like a sore thumb TO ME at least, and in certain pics the damn dress looks shifted to one side, so I don't think the straps held the dress.

Also she cut a bottom of the dress like the silk train so that the lace would show (which I loved) and with the leftover I asked for a bolero she said there wasn't enough material ( I know I'm a BIG girl) and she wanted to charge me like $100 to do so...which I thought was a GREAT deal. Well my mom took me to her seamstress and she charged me $25 with the extra material Reene said wasn't enough to make.

If I am correct I think I ended up spending like $500 with her. Of course it all depends on the our dress what exactly is done so every person is different. I get that! Maybe cux I had lace it was ALOT more...but I have this gut feeling if I would of gone to my moms seamstress she would of done it for half that price.

So my advice is you want to go to Reene ask her to give you a quote and also so somewhere you can trust as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards