South Asian Weddings

Crowd pleasers/big hits--help!

Hi all,

I know that this has been addressed a bit before, but it was in the context of "entrance music". 
We will have some time to play SA music in between the band's sets, and I'd love to play something that will get the uncles and aunties up and dancing.  Unfortunately, my knowledge of popular SA music is pretty limited.
Can anyone help me out with some sure-crowd-pleasers and big hits?  Oldies, new songs, whatever!
I already have "Beware the Boys," "Desi Girl," and "Jimmy". 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Crowd pleasers/big hits--help!

• Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi vindaloo

Not sure if you are a punjabi...but I know that there are some really old school punjabi songs that everyone likes...such as "dhai jamaa lo"

gluck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_crowd-pleasersbig-hits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:3aec5347-aa92-45be-808c-160c9ea384a5Post:2c691d4d-a83a-4688-8fa4-90057fe6f2a9">Re: Crowd pleasers/big hits--help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi vindaloo Not sure if you are a punjabi...but I know that there are some really old school punjabi songs that everyone likes...such as "dhai jamaa lo" gluck!
    Posted by Bhanu&Anuj[/QUOTE]

Haha Bhanu&Anuj that song is soo funny sounding, ofcourse being punjabi I have heard it before, but the meaning is ridic!! :)
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_crowd-pleasersbig-hits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:3aec5347-aa92-45be-808c-160c9ea384a5Post:cc63ae8c-9556-4425-aa6b-9e1753aa74aa">Re: Crowd pleasers/big hits--help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ... ofcourse being punjabi ...Posted by jnsaini[/QUOTE]

I'm not punjabi...but I've been around punjabi people my whole life....I can understand it most of the time...unless the person speaking is straight from the pind in which case the accent and speed of the dialogue makes it too hard for me - however I'm hoping my punjabi gets better as my FI is hindu punjabi :D

yes Dhai Jamaa lo....make the yogourt.....whats is the translation of "jamaa lo"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vindaloovindaloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm South Indian (Telegu), but the songs don't have to be Telegu.  Isn't most of the fun stuff Punjabi?
  • edited December 2011
    I am listening to my ipod rignt now and although they may not be crowd pleasers, or even "new" hindi songs, I get all teary listening to:

Tere Bina from the Guru soundtrack
    Tere Ore from Singh is Kinng

Those are on my please, please play list :)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Whenever there are parties, the songs that really get everyone moving are:
    "beware of the boyz"- punjabi mc w/jay-z
    "it's the time to disco"
    "deshi girl"
    "kajra re"
    "bole chudiyan"
    "deewagni deewagni"
    anything bhangra
    and for telegu songs, the mass ones seem to make everyone go crazy.

• vindaloovindaloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the suggestions!
  • edited December 2011

Haha Bhanu, Dahi-Yoghurt as you know, Jama Lo-Means make yoghurt..like my desi mom makes yoghurt at home..lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards