Students

Undergrad class ring to wear to grad school?

I'm getting married in June right after college, and in the grad classes that I'm currently taking I notice that a lot of the students are wearing their undergrad college rings. I kind of want a class ring to wear to wherever my next destination is... honestly, I'm a little jealous of my classmates for being able to wear their Princeton rings around for at least a few years longer without having them completely dwarf an engagement/wedding ring.

What would you advise?

Re: Undergrad class ring to wear to grad school?

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_undergrad-class-ring-wear-grad-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:b7296327-678c-44e4-8210-99f7d3dc5847Post:42c5dc86-bd86-47ad-847b-8ea10880e746">Re: Undergrad class ring to wear to grad school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]so is the problem that you have one and aren't sure how to wear it, or is the problem that you don't have one?  If you have one, wear it wherever/whenever you want.  If you want one, buy it.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

This. And just wear the class ring if you have one. Wear it on a different hand or finger. It really isn't a big deal that it's going to be "dwarfed" by an e-ring or wedding band.

I guess you're only other option besides that would be to not wear the class ring and ignore it, or not wear the e-ring and wedding band. But I doubt you want to do that.
  • I'm also confused about the question.  If you have one, wear it one your right hand or on a chain around your neck if you're worried about how it looks with your engagement ring.  If you don't have one and you really want one, you can actually still buy one, but I would probably wait to get one from your current school.  Then again, I didn't get a class ring from any school I attended so I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

Honestly, I'm surprised that you see people wearing them.  I have seriously never seen a graduate student wearing a class ring.  The only adults that I've seen wearing them are older good ol' boy types who went to schools where the class ring is a huge tradition.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_undergrad-class-ring-wear-grad-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:b7296327-678c-44e4-8210-99f7d3dc5847Post:fe7eeb95-20ad-442b-a28e-6ac7d916c8bf">Re: Undergrad class ring to wear to grad school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I'm surprised that you see people wearing them.  I have seriously never seen a graduate student wearing a class ring.  The only adults that I've seen wearing them are older good ol' boy types who went to schools where the class ring is a huge tradition.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

I am surprised by this as well.
    Anniversary image
  • Hey, I went to Princeton, too! What major are you? As far as class rings go, I do have one, and I just wear that on my right hand and my engagement ring on my left hand. When I was there (graduated in 2007), most of my classmates got their rings a year or two before we graduated (mostly for Christmas junior or senior year) and started wearing it while we were still there. Do you see people wearing it on their left hand? I never really thought of it as an issue. I do have a right hand ring that my fiance got me, so I will usually alternate that and my class ring, but I would totally wear them on the same hand if they didn't clash. In fact, sometimes I do anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_undergrad-class-ring-wear-grad-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:b7296327-678c-44e4-8210-99f7d3dc5847Post:fe7eeb95-20ad-442b-a28e-6ac7d916c8bf">Re: Undergrad class ring to wear to grad school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I'm surprised that you see people wearing them.  I have seriously never seen a graduate student wearing a class ring.  The only adults that I've seen wearing them are older good ol' boy types who went to schools where the class ring is a huge tradition.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

I agree.  The only person I know who has worn their ring after they graduate is FFIL.  He graduated from a federal service academy and was a career military man.  He wears his ring on his ring finger right above his wedding ring.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • I have a class ring and so does FI.  We will wear them till the day we die.  The go on our right ring ringer and have no "interference" with my e-ring wedding band.

But we went to a school where the ring is a huge deal.  Our school distrubutes 4 times as many rings and the next closest school every year.  I don't think I would have a ring if it wasn't for the tradition of it here. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I wear mine on my right ring finger and Its a less flashy design that wont clash with my e-ring (when it happens) or any other jewelry. I am very happy that I got one, and haven't taken it off (other than to clean it or go swimming) since I got it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards