Flowers

Opinions about DIY Centerpieces (Pic)

I am planning on ordering my flowers online and also gathering branches from our property (manzanita and willow most likely with random others thrown in). I have these tall metal cone vases I will be using (pic below). Somewhere between 14 and 16 of them. They are tall but don't block the people on the other side of the table which was important to me. The arrangements will be natural elements with stargazer lilies, cala lilies and maybe some orchids also. They will be BIG lol I am wondering if this is going to be doable in the couple of days before the wedding. I will have help too but I am still concerned if I may need to hire a florest to help out.

Re: Opinions about DIY Centerpieces (Pic)

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing a LOT of DIY stuff for my wedding, including the centerpieces with branches and real flowers........ not as grand as yours, but still time consuming.

I'm considering getting a "Day of" coordinator to take the stress off me. It will depend on how soon your "Day of" or "Helpers" will be able to get into your venue. If it's just an hour or two, it will definitely take more than one person. If they can get in the day before, or several hours before, then it could be done.

Good luck. That look is lovely!
  • edited December 2011
    14-16 of those CP are going to A LOT of work.  I would absolutely hire a florist.  Think about all the other last minute things you will need to do before the wedding as well. 

GL. 
  • cwcottagecwcottage member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So I have been thinking of how to pull this off lol I am thinking of doing all of the non-flower parts of the centerpieces in the couple of weeks before the wedding and then adding the flowers the day before. I am thinking this might work. The non-flower parts won't need water so they will be okay with some tweaking during the final arranging. I have the venue for 3 days, the day before, the day of and the day after. I still may have a florist help. This is pretty much the biggest stress factor for me. Making sure all the tables are done the day before. Having the venue the day before is going to be sooo great. There would be no way to get everything done the same day. I wonder how everyone pulls off the DIY stuff. there's just so much to do!

• kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are planning on DIY centerpieces (at least the small ones) and our number one concern is keeping them alive.  florists keep them in refrigerated areas, so everyone we know might have flowers instead of food in their fridges the day before our wedding :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Very true. Keeping the flowers fresh is a huge concern. That's why sometimes it makes sense to use a florist. I will be ordering mine from Sam's or Costco and having them delivered the Thurs. before the Sat. wedding, then do the arrangements Fri. They should be fine being in water and food for the day before. Sometimes they even need to be delivered sooner to give them time to open. But if you think about when you just buy a regualar flower bouquet, they keep several days to a week and still look fine. I think some flowers are more hardy then others.

• Virginia VVirginia V member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those are beautiful centerpieces.  Are you the bride?  If so, please keep in mind that you need the day of your wedding for your self.  If you can get all of the arrangements done ahead of time, then maybe you can pull it off, with help.  Have you ever done any floral design before?  If not, it might help to take a few classes, where these aren't simple centerpieces.  One other thing to do ahead of time is to soak your oasis the day before you arrange.   I'm the mother of the groom, arranging all of the flowers and I'm wondering when I am going to have some time to get ready, ie a mani and pedi!  When is your rehearsal and dinner?  I don't mean to be a downer, if you have help and can get alot done ahead of time then of course follow your heart, but just make sure you have time to enjoy your special day.  One thing I have done, just as you mentioned is I have taken care of all the non-perishable.  I made the wreaths for the church doors,  I've made the registry picture with signing matte, All of my antique mason and jelly jars are washed and ready to go (country garden theme).  So you are smart to get as much done as possible ahead of time.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Virgina. You're not being a downer at all! I appreciate the reality check and advice. I am the bride. We have the venue for three days and even though it is 15 minutes from home we are staying the night there Friday and using the whole day to get things ready. I think we may even be able to start earlier in the week. We have a very small wedding party so we will rehearse but no formal dinner. Just something Friday evening at the venue. The venue is a historic logging hotel and there are not many guest rooms so we will pretty much have the place to ourselves for those three days and as mentioned possibly even a few days beforehand. I don't have any floral experiance so classes would be a neat thing. I think Michael's offers them. I will check. Good idea! Thank you! The arrangements will be casual? Not sure what word suits them but not formal or structured so there is a lot of room for error lol I definately will keep Sat. for myself. I will have my nails and toes done a few days before and my niece will be at the hotel for my hair and makeup. No bridesmaids to worry about :-) Just my 9 year old daughter. The wedding isn't until 4 so that will give me time so I don't have to rush and since I'll already be at the venue things should go smoothly? lol
  • shatrbug_2001shatrbug_2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kissamary: what kind of flowers are you using?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My main flowers are stargazer lilies, large calla lilies,  dendrobium orchids and maybe hydrangea with some green fillers like Bells of Ireland. The rest will be dried or woody fillers.
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it will be a lot of work, and logistically difficult to transport such large, cone shaped containers.  It's a pretty ambitious project for beginners. 

But, it's certainly doable.  It would help a lot if you have some experience, or the help of someone experienced.  Practice them a few times first, don't wait until the day before your wedding to try to figure it out. 

Start be "greening" the containers in advance, with well saturated oasis foam and some greenery.  If you keep up the water level, that can be done several days in advance.  Then a day or two before the wedding, add the flowers assembly line style, and keep them cool. 

But you might make sure the metal cone containers don't leak, and/or line them with a couple of layers of plastic.  OR you can make the arrangements in cheap florist cups/trays that will just fit down into the cones.  Much easier to trasport than the flower filled cones.

Can you decorate the venue the day before?  That is the time to get all the flowers there, not the morning of  your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards