California-San Diego

Bali Hai venue? Too much airport noise? Pros/Cons?

Hey everyone!

I am elated because I think I FINALLY found the perfect venue, which is the Bali Hai in Shelter Island, San Diego. I have 5 days to make a decision. Does anyone have experience at this venue? 
  • The airport is right accross the bay -- is there too much noise?
  • Service? 
  • General thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

Re: Bali Hai venue? Too much airport noise? Pros/Cons?

• AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on Harbor Island which isn't too far from your venue, and even closer to the airport.  I didn't notice too much noise when I went there and sat during when my ceremony would be, but I wouldn't be surprised if some planes flew by.  Either way, the ceremony doesn't last too long anyway.  Would your reception be outside, too?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • edited December 2011
    Friends of ours got married there and I don't remember there being much, if any, airplane noise (and I normally notice things like this). We had a great time--beautiful setting, good food and they had just completed their renovations. If the airport noise is your only concern, I say go for it. Happy planning!
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Excellent, thanks for the advice guys!
  • edited December 2011
    It's not too much airport noise (I grew up 5 miles from there) since the planes usually go on a different path. And it is a lovely place.

Go on a walk there during a few times of the day. If North Island is rocking and rolling (military sporadically flies) or Coast Guard is doing a drill you'll see a bit more noise but it's nothing too distracting.
  • edited December 2011
    Any ideas from any of you on where I should have my pictures taken? The marina is nice, but I think all the shots start to look exactly the same after a few. I'm not familiar with the area, so any suggestions on nearby beautiful beaches (with perhaps interesting architectual pieces, or cute-sy vintage-y looking shops and streets) would be great! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_bali-hai-venue-much-airport-noise-proscons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:7b5840d9-771b-42a5-90cf-28d5b4e1d4a9Post:10fa1421-218f-4339-b60f-b4e753096e2a">Re: Bali Hai venue? Too much airport noise? Pros/Cons?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any ideas from any of you on where I should have my pictures taken? The marina is nice, but I think all the shots start to look exactly the same after a few. I'm not familiar with the area, so any suggestions on nearby beautiful beaches (with perhaps interesting architectual pieces, or cute-sy vintage-y looking shops and streets) would be great! 
    Posted by shadiahs[/QUOTE]

<div>I am also getting married at the Bali Hai. We are having some family photos done just around the marina right there. But, the majority of our photos will be taken downtown. We are staying at the US Grant and taking pictures around there. I like beach photos but sometimes I feel like they are over done which is why we wanted the majority near all the cool stuff downtown! :) We are just hitching a ride to the bali hai with wedding party or our photgrapher then grabbing a cab back at the end of the night! :)</div>
  • golfergirl08golfergirl08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Bali Hai next April! Love the location- I have spent a lot of time down there and I don't remember too much airport noise. If anything, the woman that showed me around said that boats like to honk their horns at weddings... which I will probably laugh at if it happens:-)
    Amanda C.
  • edited December 2011
    I just booked the Bali Hai for May and have heard nothing but great things from all my coworkers who have been to weddings their.  Not a negative thing has been said about noise or anything else. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_bali-hai-venue-much-airport-noise-proscons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:64Discussion:7b5840d9-771b-42a5-90cf-28d5b4e1d4a9Post:f0a5cccf-eeb0-4fa5-94ba-4673ab3e8085">Re: Bali Hai venue? Too much airport noise? Pros/Cons?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not too much airport noise (I grew up 5 miles from there) since the planes usually go on a different path. And it is a lovely place. Go on a walk there during a few times of the day. If North Island is rocking and rolling (military sporadically flies) or Coast Guard is doing a drill you'll see a bit more noise but it's nothing too distracting.
    Posted by COSmitty[/QUOTE]

That's what I was going to say, the noise wouldn't be from the International Airport, it would be from NASNI...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards