Second Weddings

Trying to find the right "Board"

I've never been married before, but I'm 50 yrs old, so I was  hoping to find a board with other older brides.  This one seems the most likely, but again, it's my first marriage, so ... is anyone aware of a board (either on TheKnot or another site) where I can share concerns and get ideas from other first-time brides who are older?  Thanks very much.  Terri

Re: Trying to find the right "Board"

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know of any sites that cater to those of us that are not in our 20s, but you're welcome here!  I'm 50, too.  I got married in March of 2008.  Although it was my second marriage, my first one was in 1985, and many of the things that were sort of standard in those days are not done today. 

So, we'll be happy to answer any questions that we can.
    Stacy
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Stacy.  :-)  BTW, a friend of mine had a HandFast a few years ago.  I couldln't attend, but it sounded like a really neat thing.  Thanks again for the nice Reply.
  • edited December 2011

I would also recommend you stick around.  I am 48, and got married in July of 2006.  Some of the same wrinkled noses that second timers face also show up when the first time bride is planning a wedding and she's not straight out of college.  We've wrangled all those issues, and would be happy to offer our insight.  ~Donna

• edited December 2011
    I think this is a great place to come. I agree with the previous posts. The women on this board have a lot of life experience and are quite welcoming. We also aren't 20 somethings that complain about their families not letting them have their way.  I believe the focus on this board is a little more centered on what we really want. The importance of what we are doing not that we don't love the details to! Welcome!       
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe it's time for me to say "hi" too.  I'm in my mid-forties and getting married next November.  It's my second wedding too.  So, hi all.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are a few boards for older brides, but none of them are terribly active: Bridal Elders on Offbeat Bride Tribe, http://offbeatbride.ning.com/group/changeoflifebrides Thread on WeddingBee for brides over 40, http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/any-over-the-hill-brides-out-there-any-over-40s Thread on WeddingBee for brides over 35, http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/any-over-35-brides-out-there
  • jeannigirljeannigirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes I understand about trying to really connect with ladies on these boards. I would have to say that this is the one that I feel the most connected with. I am on several boards but I find alot of very young brides on them and just can't really seem to connect with them.

This board has been great and seen me thought some crazy moments and such. I hope that you can find that connection that your looking for. I think the majority of these women are around the 30-50 range and have been through their tough times and are very helpful and supportive.
  • edited December 2011

Hi,

I am sure that a lot of us second timers were married so long ago that things have changed anyway. I had a JP wedding myself 23 years ago and have never planned a wedding. So I think I'm in about the same boat as you are.

CC

• edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! I'm a youngster here at 46...lol. But like the others, my first wedding was 23 years ago, and enjoyed every moment of planning this one.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow, now I feel like the idiot! This is my first wedding, but I'm also in my 50's. I've been posting away on the DIY, budget and local board (Detroit) because those all apply. But it's nice to know that "girls" of a "certain age" can still have wedding dreams!

I've asked several friends and family if I'm over-reaching with wanting the whole big wedding thing. They've all said "no", but now I know I'm REALLY not alone!

And I totally agree with finding the right fit, on the right board......so far, reading this one has made me feel like I fit in.

So, hello!

• LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed.  I'm 47 and my first marriage was in 1983 (jop).  So this was my first time to plan a wedding, although it was my second marriage.  This is a great board - always good, sound advice and camaraderie with us 'older' brides.  Welcome!
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I too have been looking for a board that is better suited to my situation.  I am 41 and will be marrying for the second time on May 7, 2010.  My first marriage was 23 years ago.  I am excited to have found a group of second time brides who are just as excited to plan a wedding at this stage in life as me.  I started a wedding blog to keep me organized and share the plans I have made with my family and friends.  Feel free to take a look.  I would love to see what you ladies have going on in your plans too! Here is my blog:  http://smoonsecondwedding.blogspot.com/
  • vli1127vli1127 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am 50 and marrying the 2nd time in August. My first marriage was in 81, so things have changed. I sure as heck don't plan to do the big shabang this time and neither does fiance.

Just for fun, I went to a bridal shop yesteday to try on dresses, primarily mother-of-the-bride and bridesmaid dresses since I don't want the long white gown etc. No vanity sizing there, I couldn't even zip the dress shut to see what it would look like. The label said it was a 10 and I wear a 10, go figure. I was only there 15 minutes and walked out.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm 56, and my first wedding was in 1977.  I remember back then being told to avoid strapless gowns, because they were far too sexy for a wedding.  Now, of course, it's hard to find a wedding dress that isn't strapless!

I was also in an unusual situation, because it was a same-sex wedding, and it was my wife's first wedding.  It was definitely not going to work to have her in a long ivory dress with a train, and me in a business suit or something.  Thus, the style of our wedding was more like a first wedding than a second--except that both of us were more mature and less slaves to what "ought" to be done.

I have to say, the planning was much more fun this time around.  My first wedding, I was working full-time AND in law school 3/4 time.  My attitude was more or less, "Wake me when it's over!"  This time around, the wedding was much more personalized.
  • tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Terri and everyone else--I looked here for the same reason Terri did.  I just turned 48 and will be getting married for the first time in May 2011.  It's a little hard to identify with some of the concerns that a person in their twenties has marrying for the first time when you already have established a career and a home, so I think I'll check in with you all.  Barbara
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards