Flowers

gerbera daisies? DIY? not sure

I'm getting married in March and my colors are mainly blue and hints of orange. My bridesmaid's dresses are a bright blue print (David's Bridal horizon blue), and originally I was thinking they would carry DIY bouquets of orange gerbera daisies. I thought I would do DIY centerpieces as well, with just orange daisies (maybe some white, too). I want the look to be really clean, modern, and young. Nothing "frilly".

I'm on a tight budget (aren't we all?) so I planned on ordering from Sam's or Costco. I am going to practice putting together the bouquets beforehand to make sure its something I'm even able to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what other flowers might complement the daisies? I'm afraid having only daisies everywhere might be too plain or boring. (I'm not deadset on daisies; I don't know the first thing about flowers so this was just a basic one that I liked the look of.) Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you :)

Re: gerbera daisies? DIY? not sure

• edited December 2011
    tulips .
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love gerbera daisies as well, but I was cautioned against using them because they may not last long enough. Take that into consideration when you do your trial.

~May 21,2011~
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I peeked at your bio and see you are getting married in March. Because you live in Florida that might be a time of year that you can get gerbera daisies, but for the rest of us they'd be flown in from somewhere.

Gerbera daisies and tulips are lovely, but both sort of wilt when placed in a vase unless there are a lot of them or your vase has a very narrow opening. I know that Gerbera daisies generally have wires in the stems for bouquets, from the flower base down to help them keep their shape.

Do you have a Costco or Sam's membership right now? I have a Costco membership and secured the name of the local "floral kiosk arranger" from their customer service desk. She does up to 18 weddings a week, ordering the flowers in bulk that you can find on their website. The floral kiosk at the store also has multiple types of flowers to purchase, and I'd recommend going into your local Costco or Sam's and buying a bunch to practice with.

I actually kind of like the longer stemmed tulips that wilt a bit when placed in a vase, but you will need a lot in order to make it look great, unless you have really short vases with smaller openings that might hold 2-3 per vase. You don't say how many tables you will have, or how many attendants you will have.

If I were you, I'd go check out the Sam's and Costco websites for their bulk flowers and wedding packages. I don't think Costco sells tulips in bulk, but they do bloom in the spring when you are having your wedding. You may be able to find them locally for less. Also check into gourmet stores in your area, many of the ones around here do bulk flowers and wedding arrangements. I'd also ask on your local Florida board where people have purchased fresh flowers in bulk locally.

Good luck.

• edited December 2011
    Gerbera daisies are very hard to work with if you have never used them in a hand tied bouquet.  Try using orange lillies, orange roses, they are easier to work with.  Bunches Bob
    Bunches Bob "Have Fun With Those Blooms"
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gerbers are fairly hardy and will last well, but they need a lot of water and the heads tend to droop if they aren't wired or propped up by those clear straws that often come already on the stems.  

I think a simple bouquet of just gerbers in a vase are fairly straightforward, simple, and modern.  

If you think it needs a little something extra, some simple greenery will help keep the heads propped up, or you can add some smaller filler flowers.  Sticking with the same color will keep it from looking to "frilly".

You might also consider using spray roses, roses, smaller pom pom daisies, carnations, or alstromeria - or adding a few gerbers to them.  For small accents, some statice, salidago, or hypericum berries would look nice.  

Gerbers, roses, and spray roses:

the vase on the right is alstromerias (they come in lots of colors):

Or you can just add a little greenery and filler to the gerbers:

• edited December 2011
    When I went for my floral consultation they told me that they have floppy heads and are hard to work with a bouquet, but she said that we could put hydrangeas underneath. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards