Florida-South Florida
Options

Good read

I, for one, wouldn't attend a wedding that didn't allow me to bring my +1, even if I were single.  Great article, (and pretty funny too) and it lets us see the other side of things.  :)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2010/06/24/in-defense-of-1.aspx?GT1=38001

Re: Good read

• Options
    sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    interesting read!!! TY
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is it bad I couldn't get through the entire article? I wanted to punch this dude in the teeth. lol Interesting, yes - but I truly think he has NO idea what goes on behind the scenes of wedding planning.  I'd love to see him explain to his FI that they were going to get married in city hall over not inviting her cousins flavor of the week.  Maybe I missed the entire point of the article, but he's in for someeeeee shock when he asks her to marry him! lol
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL!    I do understand where he's coming from regarding having a livelier party if you allow +1s and avoiding loners who will inevitably feel...lonely...if they're forced to go alone.  But I completely understand what you're saying...to go from one extreme of not allowing +1s at all to getting married in city hall is completely unrealistic and ridiculous.  :)  
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I agree with the previosu post.. the last thing I want at my wedding is a flavor of the week!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok - I could understand if that person knew NO ONE, but 9 times out of ten weddings are family and friends. People know each other by way of being family of being friends of the family or being friends of the B/G friends. It's a bloody never-ending circle. LOL Plus,  if you are inviting people that don't know anyone (which could mean you are inviting anyone and everyone?), you can probably afford to pay for those +1s! Seriously, dude is going to bite his cheeks when he finally plans a wedding. Lmao.

We are being fairly strict about +1s. Granted, I'd be pissed too if I was MOH or BM and denied a guest. Blah. I'm not in a people mood today. This guy is lucky he isn't in front of me! lol
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dude. This article seriously makes me ANGRY. It's obvious he's never planned a wedding before or been to a wedding with people of a younger crowd. His claim that only 10% of people would include a +1 is not true in a lot of cases. And just because he would apparently bring an awesome date does not mean everyone allowed a +1 is going to bring an awesome date. The only credit I give him is the fact that is was really ridiculous that a girlfriend of over a year wasn't invited to the wedding with him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And his claim of weddings being all about excess??? WTF? I've never heard that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The excess thing was ridiculous too...I have a $6000 budget, so trust me, excess for me is NOT on the agenda.  

I didn't mean to get anyone angry with this post!!! =(  Sorry if I did.  But I stand by my opinion that it was well written and funny...and that he does have a few points that are pretty much irrefutable...like how wrong it was of one bride not to allow him to bring his girlfriend of over a year to her wedding, or his brother not allowing him a +1.  Just a thought!! =)
  • Options
    Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its a tough situation.....I decided to cut back on something for my wedding in order to make room for those single friends of ours for their +1..a small sacrifice, but then again, our wedding only has about 6-7 single friends....anymore than that, we wouldn't have allowed it either.
  • Options
    bears4lifebears4life member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not you I'm angry at. It's the author of the article! =)
  • Options
    odiloveslegosodiloveslegos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I'm sensitive because I just had a close cousin and her parents un-RSVP to my wedding over her lack of plus one.  But this article is written by someone who is not only inconsiderate but rude and presumptuous.

Weddings are expensive yes, and whether or not they are lavish or not - that's not even the point.  But above all, weddings are an act of grace and love.  Not everyone is comfortable sharing their most intimate feelings with a complete stranger who is only staring down their cousins dress and critiquing the food.

Weddings are not about the guests- although some feel that they need to be waited on hand and foot.  People need to understand that they are invited to come and watch something amazing happen.  And yes you want your guests to feel welcome and have a good time- but first and foremost the day is about the couple.  Not you.

Sorry so much angst :/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Not everyone is comfortable sharing their most intimate feelings with a complete stranger who is only staring down their cousins dress and critiquing the food."  Very, very good point.
  • Options
    avee10avee10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont agree with him at all.  Although we did include +1's they were only about 5 of them since it was mostly family and few of my close friends; most of which are married.  However, had I gotten married 5 years ago when all my friends and cousins were single, I would not have allowed +1's there would simply have been too many and as we all know, wedding are very expensive. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im conflicted on this...For one I agree with most posters that a wedding is expensive and you can not just be adding a plus 1 for everyone...however i do agree with the first part of the article where the guy had been with his gf for x amount of years and just cause they were not "engaged" she did not get invited...that was rude... I think if you know that someone is dating or with someone they should be invited. Just as well if you know that they are not seriously dateing anyone than you should ask them if they wanted to bring someone or not. Some people might just say no.
  • Options
    adropadrop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this is old, but I just found it.  I got bagged for saying that the partners of our bridal party won't be sitting at the same table as us because it's all about love etc. etc., then I come across people not inviting +1s!  Ok, I do agree up to a point, weddings are expensive and most of us want to keep our numbers down, but if someone is in a relationship, they can bring their partner.  Luckily for us, we (or our parents) know everyone invited well enough to know if there is a significant other, and we usually know that SI as well, so we want them to be at the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards