North Carolina-Outer Banks

Wedding Location - where on beach?

FI and I are still stuck as to where our wedding location should be on the beach. (Our backup location is our reception site at 108 Budleigh.) Since we're getting married on July 6, traffic is going to be nuts... the closer to 108, the better. Does anyone have suggestions? And, where do/did all of you plan to have everyone park since your wedding is on the beach? 

Re: Wedding Location - where on beach?

• Where is your beach house located at?  That is where we did our ceremony at....and it was a non-event home btw.

You could always use one of the public beach access' in S. Nags Head.  There is also the Outer Banks Fishing Pier near MP 16.5 that your guests could park at and have the ceremony on the beach there.

Are you planning to take a trip down anytime?  I would scout locations then and don't be afraid to ask your vendors these sorts of questions since they live in OBX and know all of the good wedding spots.

There is also Coquina Beach, but not sure if they allow chairs or not.

• FI's parents have a house in Duck and my parents are divorced (can't stand to be near each other), so neither of their houses will work...

How much parking is there in the public beach accesses in S. Nags Head? If I wanted to do it at the beach at the Fishing Pier, is there anyone I need to contact? Do I need a permit?
  • you don't need a permit to get married on the beach since it's a public beach.

I don't really know how much parking is at the public access', but I would guess it's at least 50-60 spots.  I would call the fishing pier and ask them, but no one specific you need to talk too.

Your vendors should really be able to help you in this department :)

• We are in the same boat. Not sure where we should get married, although we have a lot longer to figure it out. But my family is the same, parents are divored - family everywhere..

We just were down there last week and we were trying to scout a place out to have the ceremony, since we are also using Budleigh. There were plenty of accesses, but the big thing was trying to find parking for everyone..

Good luck!
  • Parking is very limited on matter where you go... 20 spaces tops.  We're using Ramp 1 of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, but we're walking to the left which is still a part of South Nags Head (so no permit needed).  We're renting the trolley to cart people around since parking is so limited.  Coquina would be great parking-wise, but no chairs (except for handcap/disabled) and it does cost $100 for the permit.  It'll probably be a little more crowded than the far south public beaches... though it depends on what time your ceremony is.  Good luck!
    image June 22, 2012
  • We are using Coquina.  We are expecting 175 guests, so this was really our only viable option.  The parking lot has enough spaces for 115 cars. 
  • I've seen Coquina on our way to Bodie Lighthouse and would recommend it as well.  Beautiful and not too crowded w/TONS of parking like "marryinga.." said.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards