Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Mother of the Bride Dresses

My mom spent all day today looking for a dress for my wedding and came away pretty disappointed. Apparently everything she saw was either matronly or like a bridesmaid dress. I really wish I could have been there to help, but I'm living out of town right now. She went to a few places in Northern Kentucky (I don't know which ones) and then to Nordstroms. Can I get some suggestions to pass on to her?

Re: Mother of the Bride Dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My Mom had the exact same problem.  It always takes her forever to find an outfit for anything!  She actually found her dress at a Dillards.  I live out of town also, but we decided to go shopping one weekend that I was in town and it really helped her to have someone else's opinion.  I made her try on dresses she would typically pass up on the rack- which also helped.  She tried on about 15 dresses, but we finally found one she loved. 

If it's not possible for you to go shopping with her, get one of her friends or someone she trusts- and have them do the same thing I did- try on stuff even if she doesn't think she'll like it.  HTH  GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Got mine at Macy's!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dillards, Macy's and Von Maur all have really nice dresses.  My mom was planning to get her dress at one of those stores.

She might want to wait until later in the summer to look.  You're wedding is in October, so stores should start putting out dresses more appropriate for the season.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom got her dress at Cincinnati Bridal in Reading - they had a good selection and they were nice. You can get most dresses in a variety of colors.  You do have to order at least three to four months advance, though, unless they charge you a rush fee. 

We also looked at Kotsovo's - they are super expensive. 
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mother got hers from Elder Bereman I believe. Macys, JcPenny, Kohls, Nordstroms, Elder Bereman all are great places!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom just got her dress yesterday at Fabulous Bridal! She was thrilled! And I must say it is a HOT dress...not frumpy or matronly!

Also, just a heads up they commented that she was "ahead of the game" for my November wedding. They said anymore designers won't do a "rush fee order" and that a lot of mothers are having a hard time because they wait too long. They advised ordering it at least 6 months in advance!

Good luck!
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We also found my mom's dress at Wendy's Cincinnati Bridal.  Their selection was good.  My mom is a very young mom and what she found really fit her age and style.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards