Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Canary Islands?

Has anyone ever been to the Canary Islands in Spain? Our honeymoon will be the first week in January. I hear the weather is beautiful there all year long, and that they have nice beaches, but I also hear it's a European party destination. I want a little nightlife, but I also want a place with history and culture where we can relax as well. I don't wan it to feel like I'm on Spring Break. Anybody have any thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Canary Islands?

• Options
    FI's cousin and hubby went to the Canary Islands for their HM and they had a great time. Their pictures were really nice, too. I don't know where they stayed, but they never mentioned partying at night, etc. I know they definitely explored a bit and saw some of the history/culture. HTH!

Also, check out the TripAdvisor boards for the Canary Islands.  People always have great suggestions/insight. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    My landlady went to the Canary Islands on a cruise in January of this year and she hated it.  She said with the exception of 1 island it was a shady place and she never felt safe.  She also said they were the rudest people she's even encountered.  I tend to believe her because she's traveled the world numerous times.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I visited Lanzarote, one of the smaller Canary Islands, in December a few years ago. I LOVED it!! I traveled there solo to run in a half marathon, and I never felt unsafe. One of my friends had planned to go with me, but she got sick right before our trip, so I ended up going alone. I still had an amazing time! Everyone I met on the island was incredibly friendly--the people never impressed me as rude or stuck-up.

Most of the topography of the island is volcanic/desert-like (somewhat similar to Hawaii's big island, a very stark beauty), and the beaches and water are gorgeous. There were many fun outdoor activities to do as well, like hike and explore caves.
    While there is some nightlife, it isn't a major party destination. I believe the larger islands and cities (Tenerife, Gran Canaria) draw more of the spring break party crowds.

Also, one of my friends who lives in Spain honeymooned in Lanzarote--he says it's the most romantic island he's ever visited, and I can see why! I think it would be a fantastic honeymoon destination--I'd highly recommend checking it out! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards