Gay Weddings

My dad won't attend my wedding

I came out to my parents years ago. My dad is against gay relationships. He is a deacon at a Baptist church and believes only a man and woman should belong together. As much as it hurts I had a feeling for a long time that he wouldn't attend my wedding. When I told my mom I was getting married she was excited, but not sure if she would celebrate with me. When I asked her why she said because of my dad, it could ruin their relationship. I was really surprised finding out this news. The past few weeks I have been praying and trying to stay positive that my mom will go with her own decision. The other day I talked with her and she said she will go wedding dress shopping with me! As happy that made me my mom still doesn't know what she will do on my wedding. Her heart says go, but my parents believe being gay is a sin. I hope time and prayers will guide my mom to be by my side.
Has anyone had this happen or going through it?

Re: My dad won't attend my wedding

• My FI's best friend was married in September and his husbands family wasn't supportive. His mom came to the wedding but his father stayed home and prayed for their sins. 
    I can't imagine how hard this is on you but I wouldn't let it ruin your day. At least your mom is being supportive and that's nice. Try not to focus on it, focus on you looking AWESOME in your dress and that it's about you and your lady not your mom and dad. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • You might want to consider having your wedding filmed on video (or whatever the proper term is when one hires a videographer). There is a chance that one day your father wiill come around, regret his actions and rue what he missed. With the video, you, your spouse and your father just might be able to share -- in a very slight way -- what will be/was the most important day in your life.

You, your spouse and your families are in my thoughts and prayers
  • I am right there with you, my parents and my sister probably will not be there on my wedding day, I was raised as knowing gay relationships are a sin and now I go to a church that accepts us as for us, so I am having my church wedding and all, I have come to terms with the fact that they dont accept my fiance but it will still hurt for them not to be there, it will be hard and they will regret it i am sure, let us know how it goes, I am getting married at the end of may and I hope by then they realize what they will be missing
    Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://gay.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_my-dad-wont-attend-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:f11e9770-07aa-48fe-8ff0-1582ddbec584Post:ffb2771c-9c50-4034-84a7-9a5d29eef19b">Re: My dad won't attend my wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am right there with you, my parents and my sister probably will not be there on my wedding day, I was raised as knowing gay relationships are a sin and now I go to a church that accepts us as for us, so I am having my church wedding and all, I have come to terms with the fact that they dont accept my fiance but it will still hurt for them not to be there, it will be hard and they will regret it i am sure, let us know how it goes, I am getting married at the end of may and I hope by then they realize what they will be missing Good luck!
    Posted by JENAMANDA[/QUOTE]

My Mom isn't attending my ceremony either.Her husband would not approve so i wont be seeing her there.Its sad and it does hurt but in the end you have to accept it and don't let it ruin your amazingly special day.There will be lots of other people there to share in your joy and happiness.Remember that it is a step forward for your life,your partner,and for change in the positive direction as far as LGBT even if you are not living in a state when it is recoginzed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards