Honeymoon Discussions

For those who have done a Mediterranean Cruise

We are going on a 12 night Mediterranean Cruise on Royal's Brilliance of the Seas. For those of you who have done a similar cruise, do you recommend booking excursions through the Cruise company or doing them yourself. We were concerned with getting transportation from the port into the various places. What do you think?

Re: For those who have done a Mediterranean Cruise

• I think it depends on your ports.

We did a 12 day out of Venice.  We booked all our excursions ourselves and saved a TON of money, yet saw everything we wanted and more.

www.cruisecritic.com has a wealth of information about both the cruise lines and the specific ports with tour company recommendations.  I highly recommend spending some time there doing your research.
  • we only did 2 of the ship excursions (as in trips to places) but in3 cities we did the 'transportation to and from' only which was great and then did our own thing.

• I've been on 2 Mediterranean cruises...a Royal Caribbean one this past June (and Celebrity in 05). It depends which port you are in. If you can get off the boat and walk around (like in Rhodes or Venice) then that's a great way to see things. However if you are in Rome or Florence where it's an hour-ish from the port to the city then you need to take some type of excursion. I agree with alithebride - the transportation to and from excursions are good because you get to the city and then can still do what you want. Our cruise this past summer went to Ephesus and Egypt and we used shoretrips.com and did private tours for the same price as the ship tours and they were WONDERFUL. My mom is a travel agent and she highly recommends shoretrips.com - we use them pretty much every cruise we take (europe, alaska, caribbean). In Ephesus there were only 6 of us on our tour and Egypt there were 8. You just need to research each port and find out what you want to do there and if it's worth the money for the ship's excursion..and if it's even what you want to do while you're there. If you're using a travel agent then utilize them for this - they will/should help you!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards