New Jersey

Speech for Wedding

Hello all,
Just wondering what your plans and/or etiquette is regarding the Bride and Groom doing a speech at the wedding.

We were planning on doing a speech at the rehearsal dinner for our friends and family, but do the bride and groom also do one at the wedding?

TIA

Re: Speech for Wedding

• edited December 2011
    We didn't.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do a speech.  But we did a mini speech for our video.
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My fiancee will be doing one..

• edited December 2011
    I don't think I've ever seen the Bride and Groom give a speech at the wedding. Usually parents, MOH, Bestmen, and/or officiants/preists.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to what I would consider to be a lot of weddings, and I don't remember ever hearing the bride and groom give a speech.  I have heard them give speeches at rehearsal dinners (usually in conjunction with giving gifts to everyone).

You're of course welcome to give one -- it just definitely isn't required and isn't common.
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard them - but they are are along the lines of "thank you for coming and sharing our day with you.  we really appreciate it."  I think it would be best to keep it short and simply give thanks to your friends and family for sharing in your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    We are giving a short one at the rehearsal dinner.  At the wedding it will be my fiance's sister in place of a best man (his brother passed away) and perhaps my dad....although I will probably discourage him from speaking since he'll just cry. :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are giving a quick thank you speach as people are eating their main course at which point we will do a quick happy 90th b-day to my grandma (in italian) as her birthday was this weekend.

• jrdnjjrdnj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much, I think maybe we will just do the rehearsal dinner, as my fiancee is very quite, and giving a speech is like pulling teeth, so maybe the smaller venue will be best for him, haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards