Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Proposal @ Ground Zero

Like every little girl does, I use to dream about my wedding day, my father walking me down the aisle, and what song we would dance to for the father/daughter dance…  On 9-11-01, all the dreaming of my wedding day literally stopped when my father was tragically killed. As years passed, I knew the day would come when I would have to start planning the day I dreaded the most- my wedding. For most-ur wedding day is suppose to be the happiest day of your life, but for me, it would be a nightmare finally coming true not having my dad there to walk me down the aisle.

11 years later, I knew I found the perfect man and one that my father would be extremely proud of. After 4 years of being together with my bf and countless talks about our future together, I knew the proposal was near…yet apart of me still wasn’t ready.  

My bf & I had just had our 4 year anniversary and never got the opportunity to celebrate it because of our busy schedules. After several failed attempts of making plans, we finally just decided to take a Wednesday off from work and celebrate it late by having a fun day in the city.

We first went to go see the Broadway show Wicked. Afterwards, we decided to take a trip down to ground zero since Memorial Day was that weekend and its not to often we get an opportunity to go to the site.  When we arrived, we walked over the to the fountain of the south tower. This was the actual tower my father was killed in, but it was the first time we actually got to see it finished.  After that, we walked over to the north tower fountain, where my father’s name is engraved.

Right before we were about to leave my bf leaned in and said, “last night I had the opportunity to speak with your mom, since I couldn’t ask your dad in person, I wanted to make him apart of it…” at that point he quickly (not to make a scene) got down on one knee and asked, “will you marry me?”. And of course I said, YES!

I was blown away by how meaningful it truly was. I could have never dreamt of something like that. I had truly thought that my dreams of my father being involved would forever remain as just a dream. Unknowingly, my fiancé made my dream a reality the best way he could.  And if that wasn’t perfect enough...my engagement ring was absolutely gorgeous!  We call it the Generations Ring of Love: it has three diamonds, the one to the left (closest to my heart) is the diamond my father proposed to my mother with, the diamond to the right was the diamond that my grandfather proposed to my grandmother with, and the center diamond was the one from him. Then there are two begets on the sides in a platinum band. And to tie in his family to the ring, he had his family motto engraved on the inside of the band “Love One Another.”  

Needless to say, for me, it was absolutely perfect and I no longer have the fear of my father not being there on my wedding day because apart of him will forever be holding my hand…. I never thought it would happen but I have finally have began dreaming of my wedding day again…J

Re: Proposal @ Ground Zero

• Options
    you brought tears to my eyes. that is one of the SWEETEST proposals I've ever heard of. Congratulations and I hope you're able to plan on a happy account!!! :)
  • Options
    Thanks for making me cry this early in the morning.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is a beautiful story.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    This has to be one of the most beautiful proposals I've ever heard. Congratulations, and I'm happy your father was there in spirit Im sure he approves and is smiling over your good fortune.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Seriously, that is such a beautiful story, and like the rest it made me cry. I am so happy for you and your FI. What a thoughtful man to make your father such a part of your special day.

I think I can say for everyone we would LOVE to see a picture of this ring. It sounds gorgeous :)
  • Options
    What a beautiful story! You brought tears to my eyes as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Thanks ladies...sorry for making you all cry. Below are the only good pictures I have right now saved to my computer. They aren't the best pictures to show off the ring but they are good enough to give you a visual. :)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Words cannot express how lovely that proposal was, it was perfect......Laughing He loves you, thats all you need to know. All the best
    Daisypath Friendship tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    soleildhiversoleildhiver member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012

such a beautiful story!! congratulations!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations on your engagement!  That will be such a wonderful story to share with your children, you are a very lucky woman to have such a thoughtful FI.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposal-ground-zero?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:16e3e59c-d6a8-4910-b21c-008839117a4ePost:19596b69-d746-4440-b2ed-92c4bef6f138">Proposal @ Ground Zero</a>:
    [QUOTE]            Like every  little girl does, I use to dream about my wedding day, my father walking me down the aisle, and what song we would dance to for the father/daughter dance…   On 9-11-01, all the dreaming of my wedding day literally stopped when my father was tragically killed. As years passed, I knew the day would come when I would have to start planning the day I dreaded the most- my wedding. For most-ur wedding day is suppose to be the happiest day of your life, but for me, it would be a nightmare finally coming true not having my dad there to walk me down the aisle. 11 years later, I knew I found the perfect man and one that my father would be extremely proud of. After 4 years of being together with my bf and countless talks about our future together, I knew the proposal was near…yet apart of me still wasn’t ready.   My bf & I had just had our 4 year anniversary and never got the opportunity to celebrate it because of our busy schedules. After several failed attempts of making plans, we finally just decided to take a Wednesday off from work and celebrate it late by having a fun day in the city. We first went to go see the Broadway show Wicked. Afterwards, we decided to take a trip down to ground zero since Memorial Day was that weekend and its not to often we get an opportunity to go to the site.   When we arrived, we walked over the to the fountain of the south tower. This was the actual tower my father was killed in, but it was the first time we actually got to see it finished.   After that, we walked over to the north tower fountain, where my father’s name is engraved. Right before we were about to leave my bf leaned in and said, “last night I had the opportunity to speak with your mom, since I couldn’t ask your dad in person, I wanted to make him apart of it…” at that point he quickly (not to make a scene) got down on one knee and asked, “will you marry me?”. And of course I said, YES! I was blown away by how meaningful it truly was. I could have never dreamt of something like that. I had truly thought that my dreams of my father being involved would forever remain as just a dream. Unknowingly, my fiancé made my dream a reality the best way he could.   And if that wasn’t perfect enough...my engagement ring was absolutely gorgeous!   We call it the Generations Ring of Love: it has three diamonds, the one to the left (closest to my heart) is the diamond my father proposed to my mother with, the diamond to the right was the diamond that my grandfather proposed to my grandmother with, and the center diamond was the one from him. Then there are two begets on the sides in a platinum band. And to tie in his family to the ring, he had his family motto engraved on the inside of the band “Love One Another.”   Needless to say, for me, it was absolutely perfect and I no longer have the fear of my father not being there on my wedding day because apart of him will forever be holding my hand…. I never thought it would happen but I have finally have began dreaming of my wedding day again… J
    Posted by ManHattonPhotography[/QUOTE]

Just totally brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    such a touching story. Congratulations, your proposal and ring are absolutely beautiful.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    Beautiful and touching story! Congratulations!
  • Options
    I think this is the most beautiful thing I have read in a long time. Congrats!!!
  • Options
    Congratulations! This definitely brought tears to my eyes, what a beautiful proposal!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just finished crying. That is such a beautiful proposal. Congrats and all the best!
  • Options
    This is an amazing story. And how wonderfully thoughtful of your FI...he sounds like a keeper!!
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    pomundson0pomundson0 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    What a sweet and thoughtful and AMAZING proposal :*)  And the ring?? That part gave me chills!! :)  Sounds like you have an awesome guy there :) Best of luck to you both!! :) And Congratulations!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! Such a beautiful proposal and you made me tear up!!! He sounds like an amazing guy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards