Getting in Shape

Can someone tell me...

... why people are so freaking insistent on losing 3 lbs (or 5 lbs) for their wedding?

Is it to fit in the dress better?  It is to say "Oh, I was only 130 (140, 180, whatever) lbs at my wedding"?

What the hell is the point?  I understand that if you're working towards a better you and you get "stuck" 5 lbs from your ultimate goal (which is another issue I have, using a specific weight number as a goal, but that's a rant for another post) and need a way to kick you workouts up a notch to get there, but what the hell is the point of taking pills, or doing something that will results in the weight coming back (and probably more) days later???

Can someone explain this to me???
We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can someone tell me...

• It is ridiculous.  I know for me personally I've been wanting to lose weight and get back into the shape I was 3 years ago for abotu... well 2 years and yet the BIG WHITE DRESS is what made me focus and stop eating the Ben and Jerry's.  Who knows?  I can understand want the dress to fit-it's expensive and whatever, so if it's a couple of pounds, sure put in a few extra workouts and stop drinking so much and eat better.  But really?  3 pounds to get to the magic number?  That is straight out of Mean Girls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  •   I agree with all the PPs.  I just ran my first 5k this past weekend and I've been watching what I eat, and people are constantly saying "oh yeah, you're getting in shape for the wedding, right?".  Uh no.  I'm trying to live a healthy lifestyle that will go PAST my wedding date.

BUT THEN, the minute I have some type of cookie (or something like that) people respond, "uhh better watch what you're eating.  You won't be able to fit into that dress! HA!".  Yeah, how obnoxious. 

The picture I posted below somes up the mentality!  There's nothing wrong with wanting to workout and eat healthy before your wedding, but once you get married doesn't mean "oh, phew.  The sucker married me.  Now I can gain that 5 pounds back."

• Yeah, I agree with the above. 

I've been working on getting in shape since before the fiance proposed to me. A couple months ago, I stepped on the scale and had a moment of panic when I saw how high the number had gotten.

The fact that I want to look awesome in my dress and in a bikini in my honeymoon is only further motivation. (Which my running buddy pulled for the first time last night as I was dragging on the last mile of our 4-mile run ... "Just thinking about how awesome you'll look in your wedding dress!")
  • For me, weight has been a problem my whole life.  I lost 60lbs years ago, but gained it back.  Before I got engaged on Christmas, I was already planning to start dieting/exercising after the new year.  Yes, the wedding is a push, but that I did was set a wedding goal, of losing 100lbs, and then an after wedding goal of 40lbs.  Which is completely practical of about 1-2 lbs a week. I just picked the numbers because losing 140lbs would put me in the normal weight range. The high end of normal at that. As long as you and your future hubby know you are doing it for the right reasons, let the people talk. 
  • I know for myself I'm wanting to lose weight and get awesomely toned for the HONEYMOON. I want to look smoking in whatever skimpy little bikini I feel like buying to lounge on the beaches of Fiji.

Looking awesome in my wedding dress is just a bonus.
  • I sort of understand the mentality... I want to look my absolute best on my wedding day.  But I also think a lot of people take it WAY too far.  For me, I've always been very concerned with my looks (including my weight) and so it's something that's always in the back of my mind.  That said, I'm already a pretty healthy person and I'm not doing anything specific to lose weight for my wedding.  I decided to go vegetarian about a month or so ago, and if that helps me lose 5 lbs in time for the wedding, I won't complain, but I stay the exact same weight I am today then that's fine too.
  • I think its the "everyone will be looking at me and I dont want to look fat in my dress" thoughts.  A lot of extra weight can be hidden in every day clothes.  Not so much when you have a fitted dress with big arms, back fat, etc. showing.  Plus the bride knows they will be the center of everyone's attention witch is terrifying for some people.
  • I agree that three pounds is a little silly but I think it is normal (probably because of the societal pressure) for a wedding to be the motivation people need to get in shape--and for some that really might be the difference of only a few pounds because the smaller you are to begin with, the bigger of a difference 5 or 10 pounds is going to make.  For example, if I lost 5 pounds, I might go down a full dress size.  (Regular dress, don't know about bridal gowns.)

For the past couple of years since I got out of grad school I have wanted to exercise more (I already eat a very clean diet) and get closer to my high school weight (I'm currently about 13 pounds above it) but I worked around the clock trying to build my career and barely had time for FI, much less for working out.  For some reason, now that I am engaged it feels acceptable to leave work at a reasonable hour to go to the gym, something I have never felt before.  I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I've been thinking a lot about it the past couple of days.

I guess my point is that while it sounds silly when someone says they want to lose three pounds, it's not necessarily something that they only want to do just for the wedding.  And if they do, that's their problem and we should all just move on with our lives.  :)

Oh, and incidentally, now that I've started, although I weigh myself, all of my goals are in terms of body fat percentage and measurements.  I probably won't lose 13 pounds, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up smaller than I was back then.
  • I totally understand people that use the wedding as jumpstart motivation to losing a large amount of weight, it's exactly what I did.

What I don't understand is the lose 3-5 lbs thing.  It will make NO difference in how a person looks (unless they only weigh, like 110 to start off with).  That's the part I don't get.
  • I blame socety and the We network.
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Well, to the extent your posting was motivated by the previous one, she said her dress was a little tight.  So maybe that's the answer.

• I weigh 165 and 3-5lbs makes a difference, especially if its bloat or water weight.  It could make a difference between squeezing into a dress (or pants, or whatever) and having it actually fit.
  • Raynes, I will be honest, I get irked by anyone who says that they are overweight (by medical standards) but their wedding is what is prompting them to lose weight.

I have been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle for several years (off and on, with vearying levels of sucess) and my wedding has little to do with any of it. Am I concerned about standing up in front of 120 of my closest friends and family in a white dress that might not fit well, sure. Am I concerned that my arms will look like sausages, or that I will have back fat, sure. But I am way more concerned about my high cholesterol, high chances for heart disease, and the fact that I don't want to die younger than I need to.

I haven't even nearly started to achieve my weight goals, at all. But I am exercising at least 3 times a week (for the past 4 months, consistently) and overall I am eating somewhat more healthily. If I never lose another pound, (let alone 3 - 5lbs) I know that I will continue to lead a healthy life because it is healthy, not because I will necessarily look like a model.

I have a friend who needs to lose a lot of weight and she said that she wishes she could see results faster. The reality is that we live in a world where if we don't get instant results, we don't really feel like it is worth it and we give up. I have been a victim to this when it comes to eating.  It isn't about 3 - 5lbs, it is about what is good for our bodies.

Rant done...for now at least.
  • I think getting engaged is a reality check for some women who need to get healthy. And I think it's much better motivation than just, well it's New Year's I guess I'll join a gym kind of mentality.  I know it was a reality check for me. I've done the diet and exercise thing on and off for years, but what made me really get serious about it was the realization that I am now living for someone else. It's not going to be just me anymore. I love my fiance and we want kids and I owe it to him and hopefully them to be around as long as possible.

That being said, I'm not so concerned about making a specific weight by my wedding. My friends and family love me no matter what and unless I pick a dress that's really ugly, no one is going to care if my arms are a little bigger than average. My goal is to get to a place where I am healthy and active and able to maintain that lifestyle. When it's time to get down to baby-making, I want to know that my weight will not be an issue. I want to be able to model a healthy lifestyle for my kids. A wedding is one day; a marriage is a lifetime.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wanted to be healthy before we got married. I mean, yes, I want to look good. But it was more important to start this new phase of my life being able to live a healthy lifestyle. So I get when people say "I'm in a really bad place with my weight/health and want to change that before the wedding."

But I really don't understand how 3-5 pounds makes a huge impact. It really won't make a difference in the way you look on your wedding day, or even in the way you feel. If anything you'll feel like crap because you took some nasty pills that left you hungry and pissy and you don't look ANY different.
  • Since we're on the topic of fcuked up priorities, I used to have a "friend" who decided she needed to get in shape to attend a wedding that her FI's ex was also attending. She started running three miles a day right away. I told her she shouldn't start out that fast but she wouldn't listen. Her FMIL asked her if she was only working out for the wedding (which she of course denied and she wanted to be healthy!) and told her "well you don't need to because FI's ex is a size 20." And then what happened after this wedding? She stopped working out completely, and instead started telling me I was too skinny and needed to eat more to gain weight. It was complete BS and I was NOT underweight at that time. I was going to ride it out until the end of our lease but she ended up moving out of our apartment behind my back while I was visiting my parents for the weekend. Oh and for her own wedding (I heard through mutual friends) she went on the same kind of exercise kick then stopped at the honeymoon. I'm really glad that friendship ended.
    Anniversary
  • number55, I should clarify a bit.  I didn't think "omg, I need to lose weight, NOW" once I had the sparkly on my finger.  We got engaged in February, and it wasn't until I saw pictures of my from my friends wedding the following August that I realized how big I was. 

Yeah, I'd had to resort to shopping at AdditionElle, but I was in total denial about it.

I did decide to get healthy for me, but I'd be lying if I said that the big white dress wan't a motivator.
  • I agree a lot with what everyone is saying. 

it's sad that so many of us (myself included) don't start thinking about a healthy life until you start dress shopping, get a ring, etc.  In my case, I think it was partially about being engaged but also about the huge transitions that it meant for me.  Instead of having a crazy schedule, I moved in with the FI, got laid off and started a more routine life and realized that if we didn't start making fitness and healthy eating a priority now that we might never do it.  Being in a better place for the wedding is just a side benefit of that in my case (not just being stronger or losing weight, my skin and hair are in the best shape of my life too!). 

I just hope that many of us can be inspired by the few on this board that are already married but continuing on their journeys because if anything, in our society, healthful living is a never-ending journey!  Look at how many people have said recently, "I lost 60 lbs a couple years ago but gained most of it back." 

Just as a wedding is a huge transition in life, I wonder if having kids sparks the same in women.  I know lots of people start going organic and incorporate more veggies in their diet when having a baby so that the child will hopefully grow up with innate healthy habits. 

Either way, for people that are on a serious weight loss/healthy living journey, best of luck!  For those who are looking for quick fixes, good luck in trying to continue to keep it off!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards