Iowa-Des Moines

Something old, new, blue, borrowed and a lucky sixpence :)

Are you ladies doing this tradition? I have a few things already. I have the sixpence, the new and the blue, I need the borrowed and old and have no idea what to do for those. What dd you do?
Anniversary

Re: Something old, new, blue, borrowed and a lucky sixpence :)

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep!!

Old - My Mother has bracelets from the Civil War I will be using as a bouquet wrap.
    New - My dress
    Blue- Haven't decided yet!
    Borrowed - Earrings from my Grandma, and a necklace charm from FI's Grandma

Haven't gotten the sixpence yet
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Yep! Totally doing this.  My something old is my grandmothers jewelry, something borrowed is probably going to be a ring or something from my mom, something new is my dress, something blue is probably going to end up being undergarments I haven't been very creative on that one).  I don't have the sixpence yet either.
    Anniversary
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Old - My engagement ring is actually my grandmother's wedding ring, so I think I'm counting that as my "old" item.
    Borrowed - I'm borrowing my mom's necklace to wear.
    New - my shoes, my dress...something along those lines. hahaha Smile
    Blue- Well my mom's necklace actually has a diamond and then a sapphire, so I guess if I could "double count" something, the necklace could be my blue item too...but I believe the garter set I bought, the lady sews a little blue ribbon on the inside band.  

Don't think I will have a sixpence...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of the sixpence portion of this tradition. can somebody explain?
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I've never heard of it either, until recently.  I've heard it's more of an English custom, a sixpence in your shoe....like the other items, is meant for "good luck".  I even saw recently a US girl bought a sixpence piece online so she could have one.  I don't believe they use sixpence in British currency anymore though...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The sixpence is an English tradition. The bride wears it in her left shoe and it is supposed to bring wealth and luck to the couple. My sixpence is actually going to be my old as well. My grandfather and great grandfather collected coins together and I inherited them when he passed and there is a sixpence in that collection :) I am very happy to wear it on my wedding day :)
    Anniversary
  • kholle13kholle13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered a sixpence online a while ago but never recieved it. It didn't cost too much so I'm not to worried about it but I may try to order another one from someone else. I was trying to order one from 1950 since that is when my grandparents were married. I thought it would be a nice way to honor them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards