Catholic Weddings

I'm a reader in a wedding this weekend....

This is a "duh" question, but I'm having a brain fart. I'm doing the 2nd reading (from John) in my friend's wedding this weekend and I can't remember if I say:
"A reading according to John"
"A reading from the Book of John"
"A reading from the Gospel according to John" (this might just be for the Gospel reading right?)
or neither?
My friend gave me the text of the reading and I'm sure it might be in the book from which I'm reading, but he also said that it might not be the exact wording--all which cause me anxiety!
TIA ladies!

Re: I'm a reader in a wedding this weekend....

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lay people NEVER read the gospel. The priest or deacon does that. Do not say "gospel"

You are reading one of the John Letters, right? It will say in the lectionary what you are supposed to say.

"A reading from the first (or 2nd) letter of John"

Before the wedding, look over the lectionary that you're reading from to get familiar with it. It will be fine.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you can always ask at the rehearsal as well.....
  • amylulichamylulich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I did some searching and I just feel silly that I couldn't really remember. I'm not going to the rehersal....my friend said I didn't have to.
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I volunteer at church and we always ask that they bring the readers so that they can practice reading.  Normally the lectionary has the wording in there already, but in most cases it does read like carrie said above...

When we have a reader that doesn't come, we make them rehearse it before the ceremony (hopefully they arrive early).  That way they know where the microphone needs to be and how loud to speak.  Don't forget to bow when you reach the step before the altar and we usually remind the reader to not walk between the altar and the podium, always around the outside of it (depending on the set up of the church).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards