Catholic Weddings

Ivory Dress

I keep having horrible nightmares...my dress is ivory, that is ok in a Catholic church right? I just want to make sure...idk why but suddenly im really paranoid about it, and I didnt even think about it when I bought it!

Re: Ivory Dress

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The Catholic Church doesn't dictate the color of your wedding gown.  Ivory is just fine
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course!  Non-issue.  You are fine....
  • PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress is ivory.  Each time I look at it, I think it looks dirty.  I think it's because I initially wanted a white dress.  I'm over it now.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wedding dresses aren't "tradtionally" white because of religion, virginity, church rules or purity.

White has become the "traditional" color because Queen Victoria was married in a white dress to show off how rich she was. Prior to that, brides wore any color they wanted because the material had to be easy to get and because the dress had to be serviceable in the future. But since she was the fashion plate of her time, brides wanted to copy her (same thing as when everyone rushed out to get that Jennifer Aniston haircut in the 1990s), and it's stuck since then. And somewhere down the line, the virginity thing got tacked onto the story.

I very much doubt that anyone could tell you in passing whether your dress was white or ivory, anyway. Tons of brides marry in a color. My grandparents were married in the Catholic church, pre-Vatican II, and wore colorful suits since they couldn't afford fancy wedding gowns (paternal grandmother was in pink, and I don't know what color maternal grandmother wore but I want to say it was blue).
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress was champagne-ivory and I never gave it a second thought ;)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore ivory. I got married. The end!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress is ivory.  You'll be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, ivory is fine. Go with whatever you like and feel the best in. A lot of the dress shops are even recommending that you stay away from pure white and you go with diamond white or something off white. They told me that all white can make you look to washed out and pale unless you have really dark skin.
  • edited December 2011
    I wore ivory for my wedding and I know that my nana wore royal blue for her ceremony.
  • Maureen LMaureen L member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress is ivory, and my mom also wore an ivory dress for her Catholic wedding mass. Not a problem!
    Photobucket
    Maureen & Jonathan - 10.09.10
    image 261 Invited so far! image 124 Are ready to party!
    image 108 Will be missing out image 29 Are MIA image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards