Destination Weddings Discussions

$$ How Did YOU handle who's invited to your DW?

We wanted it to be just immediate family- all expenses paid for them (about 14 people).

But how do we handle NOT offending the rest of the family- ones you haven't seen in years. I don't mind if someone else wants to come, but I'm not willing to pay for their trip. My FI says if they come at all, we HAVE to pay for them.

Should we keep it immediate family ONLY. Or send out invites to everyone and just let immediate family know they're covered?

What did you brides do? Who pays for what in a DW wedding?

Re: $$ How Did YOU handle who's invited to your DW?

• We aren't paying for anyone to travel to our wedding.  We are lucky that my parents are paying for the bulk of it, but we are covering a lot of the more minor expenses, and FMIL is covering the dinner the night before. 

If we were paying for people, I would send the invites, not mentioning anything to anybody about payment, and then call the people you're intending to pay for to let them know.  You may also want to mention that since you can't pay for everyone, that they please not say anything to anyone about it.
    Anniversary Visit The Knot! image
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://destination.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_did-handle-whos-invited-dw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:f4b9226f-ee70-41fb-a831-12fc5a9f0c3aPost:7be13424-c424-4f49-b145-45ebdfdaaab7">Re: $$ How Did YOU handle who's invited to your DW?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't paying for anyone to travel to our wedding.  We are lucky that my parents are paying for the bulk of it, but we are covering a lot of the more minor expenses, and FMIL is covering the dinner the night before.  If we were paying for people, I would send the invites, not mentioning anything to anybody about payment, and then call the people you're intending to pay for to let them know.  You may also want to mention that since you can't pay for everyone, that they please not say anything to anyone about it.
    Posted by HappyMel[/QUOTE]

THIS!
  • We aren't paying for anyone's travel expenses, but if you're planning on paying for immediate family only, then only invite immediate family. Yes you will have some offended people but that comes with the territory of having a DW. Even if you invited everyone, there would still be people who are offended by your choice of having a DW. It's just something that you'll have to deal with. Also, you're not required to pay for anyone's travel expenses (but I'm sure your guests appreciate it).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_did-handle-whos-invited-dw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:f4b9226f-ee70-41fb-a831-12fc5a9f0c3aPost:7be13424-c424-4f49-b145-45ebdfdaaab7">Re: $$ How Did YOU handle who's invited to your DW?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If we were paying for people, I would send the invites, not mentioning anything to anybody about payment, and then call the people you're intending to pay for to let them know.  You may also want to mention that since you can't pay for everyone, that they please not say anything to anyone about it.
    Posted by HappyMel[/QUOTE]

I agree!
  • We are inviting family immediate, as well aunts uncles, cousins that I am close with and FI of course, as well as all of our close friends. I would love if everyone could come but I know that is not a reasonable expectation.  I think you should only invite the people you want to be there to share you in special day. 

As for paying for people to attend we are not doing this.  I am going to making OOT bags, we are having a RD, and a brunch the next day.  I am recommending that everyone stay at the sandals resorts so that we can all do activites during the day for their stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards