Michigan-Detroit

Friend as Officiant

We would really like a friend to be the officiant at our ceremony. Has anyone had experience with this in Michigan? Have read a few things online, but not clear on the rules. 

Re: Friend as Officiant

• yes I did this last February for my wedding, there really aren't too many rules in michigan for who you use. She just did one of the online ordained deals. The only thing I would suggest is making sure you understand the process post wedding. We did not and neither did she because she had never done it before. In michigan, you have a very small window for returning your signed marriage license back to be processed to the state. We did not realize this, we didn't have all the needed signatures, and I took the license (usually the officiant does) and it's because the officiant can technically get a misdemeanor if the contract is mishandled or late. since we didn't have the signatures needed we waited until after the honeymoon and I wasn't quick to check it right away. I had a slight pannick attack. Also, if they close your case because you took to long, you have to reapply and your official wedding date is null and void. Ours all ended up fine and processed. So just make sure you read the information!
  • Double check with the county you're getting married in that it's legit - some counties won't accept online ordination.

I live in Kent County on the west side of the state (bible belt of Michigan) and it's legal here....I think Wayne county has a couple more hoops you have to jump through though.

Call your county clerk, they can verify everything and let you know what to do and when.
  • I did this.  My friend is ordained in PA and in Macomb county all he had to do was fill out the paperwork correctly on the license and it was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards