Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Sit down if you are making your own food

OK, so I really do not like Buffet tables but I am not sure if there is any other way to make your own food and serve people.

I am sure I can easily hire a few servers for the event to serve people their meals, but is it really worth it?

Megan =)

Re: Sit down if you are making your own food

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to say there will be between 150 and 250 people.

Megan
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you can serve family style, putting big plates of food in the center of tables, but you will still need servers to put it there, make sure it is warm and such, clear empty plates, refill the pitchers and platters and whatnot. this is one of thiose times when hiring someone is worth the money in the stress you will be saving yourself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You need servers unless you want dirty dishes and plates of cold food lying around. Even if you were having a buffet, you'd still need someone overseeing it. Seriously, with that many guests, you need some one to deal with the organization. Katieanne has some great ideas.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yes, servers.  We hired 2 at $13 an hour, but we're only having about 80 guests.  You'll need at least 4-6 servers for the number of people you're expecting to come.  Don't skimp out on the service end - that is something people will remember and it can have a serious impact on your event.
  • Options
    moozumumoozumu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are cooking food for 150-250 people? Just Curious what are you going to make?

I love a good cooking challenge, thats impressive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_sit-down-making-own-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:4cad46cc-9c07-4a26-a462-979594e0c1ccPost:a8d2694d-8b81-42fe-875d-3bd9ff2f3408">Re: Sit down if you are making your own food</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are cooking food for 150-250 people? Just Curious what are you going to make? I love a good cooking challenge, thats impressive.
    Posted by moozumu[/QUOTE]

I honestly have no idea what we will be making just yet. So any ideas would be great =)

Megan
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_sit-down-making-own-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:4cad46cc-9c07-4a26-a462-979594e0c1ccPost:c3bedeb6-6609-49f0-bfa9-570b8c19e113">Re: Sit down if you are making your own food</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sit down if you are making your own food : I honestly have no idea what we will be making just yet. So any ideas would be great =) Megan
    Posted by HisMegs878[/QUOTE]

You could do italian food, its generally easy to make in large quantities and crowd pleasing. Lasagna, carbonara, baked ziti or ravioli, roasted squash in summer or root vegetables in winter, chicken breasts baked in diced tomato pesto sauce, fresh bread, salad. you dont have to get too fancy, go to thrift stores and score unique platters and serving dishes, find some way to keep the food warm and hire a few servers, local college kids would probly be eager to make a few bucks, have them pile it on platters and set it on tables for guests to serve themselves out of.
    You could even make it part of the centerpeices, have pretty baskets with colorful napkin liners full of bread, and bowls of fruit, and a few candles scattered inbetween, theres room for platters and you have a cost effective decoration that does double duty.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know you said that you dont like the buffet tables, but have you thought about having several cocktail or round tables around the room. I dont know if you are sold on the idea of having a sit down meal with servers, but if you dont mind your guest serving themselves - this would be a good way to not have the buffet lines.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    moozumumoozumu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think both the family style Itlian dinner or the heavy apps. stations sound like great solutions. They will both still require you hire a few peeps to help out but you will not regret having help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards