Military Brides

Post 911 GI Bill

Hey ladies!
Quick?! Question (hopefully)

Does anyone know if since FI went to a Service Academy he has to wait X yrs to "cash" in his GI Bill? And if he can't, does that mean I can't either?

Back Story - I was just accepted to Graduate School and now looking for ways to pay for it. David already said he was willing to transfer his GI Bill to me (LOVE HIM) but he heard that since he went to the AF Academy he has to wait several years before he can actually use it. However, he doesn't know if that means I can't either.

I plan on calling Family Office tomorrow but wondering if any of your girls could give me a little more insight before I call.

TIA!

Re: Post 911 GI Bill

• edited December 2011
    i dont know TOO much, but i do know this... your man needs to be in the military for 10 years before he can transfer his GI bill... to ANYONE (you, kids, etc).

good luck! and congrats on grad school!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_post-911-gi-bill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:e5434cb7-43a6-4222-bc53-8f699577879fPost:b5b04b03-435d-4620-9f69-35ed975212b2">Re: Post 911 GI Bill</a>:
    [QUOTE]i dont know TOO much, but i do know this... your man needs to be in the military for 10 years before he can transfer his GI bill... to ANYONE (you, kids, etc). good luck! and congrats on grad school!
    Posted by peaceistheway[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I believe it's actually 6 with a commitment for 4 more. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Check and see if the 4 years at Springs counts (which I highly doubt, but it's worth a check).</div><div>
    </div><div>Ditto on the congrats on grad school! What are you going for?

</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011

Stan - He commissioned in 2009 before graduation and I believe none of his time prior counts :( .... I am going to check though. As for grad school, the program is Criminal Justice and his heavy on theory and research. It was my back up if I couldn't find FT employment but the program is perfect for what I am looking for, so we'll see what happens!

Peace- Thanks too! I am looking into the time part. :)

• edited December 2011
    My FI did Army ROTC, and my understanding of his situation is that since the Army paid for his school at that time, his time at school doesn't count toward the GI bill. I'm not familiar with the academies, but if he didn't have to pay for that it seem like it might be a similar situation?
    White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone know if since he is ineligible for to claim it - that means he can't transfer as well?!?
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_post-911-gi-bill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:e5434cb7-43a6-4222-bc53-8f699577879fPost:d023966a-3013-42d1-8e96-5eb6878ce7d2">Re: Post 911 GI Bill</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know if since he is ineligible for to claim it - that means he can't transfer as well?!?
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

<div>I think he can, but it's with the same 6 year with a commitment for 4 restrictions.</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Nikki!

ETA : Where did you find the scholarships/assistance for Military Wives?
  • edited December 2011
    I think he has to wait until he is eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill himself before he can transfer to you.

There are programs to help pay for school for spouses though. They only pay up to $5k (I think), but it's at least something. Try the Airman & Family Readiness Center, they should be able to give you the details on your Post 9/11 eligibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards