Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

What exactly does a brazilian wax entail?

Sorry if this is a little TMI, but I don't know anyone who has had one (or would talk about it). I want to be "cleaned up" for the wedding/HM so I thought I would do a test run in the next month or so to make sure my skin can handle it and that my pain tolerance can handle it. lol Sooo... what exactly does a brazilian entail? How far down do they go etc? Any help is appreciated!

Re: What exactly does a brazilian wax entail?

• Options
    It's all up to you. They can leave a strip. They can take it all. They can even wax your "back area". You'll just have to be open and vocal about what you do and don't want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    What all are you wanting to know?

I've gotten brazilians regularly for about 10yrs and I have everything removed.  It takes about 2 or 3 waxes before the hair growth gets regular.

They typically need about 1/4" of hair to have the wax grab to.  The first time hurts pretty bad, not going to lie, take some advil about 30min before and it helps.  The 2nd time isn't bad, and it doesn't really hurt me anymore, but I've built up a tolerance to it.  Some spa's use a numbing cream, but I don't have the patience.  After your first time the hair is going to grow back in a few weeks (maybe 3-4) after time this gets longer (I go 6-8wks for a wax now)
  • Options
    Do your research on the salon. I've had it done twice in the past few months and the first place was terrible, didn't even do it right.

Also, see if you can find a place that uses the hard wax, a wax you don't need the fabric for. The salons I've been to don't use it because 'its harder to work with' etc but really they're just spinning a line.

Very first time I went for a brazillian, they used the hard wax. I nearly fell asleep on the table. I was so relaxed.

When they used the strip wax on me, I was used to getting waxed. But heck, I wanted a piece of wood in my mouth. They weren't exactly careful either.

Not trying to scare you. Just really... do your research :). Again it wasn't as bad the next time they used the strip wax on me... but sometimes... when you've had steak, you don't want to go back to chuck, y'know?

Good luck!
  • Options
    Brazillan.. helllllll no.

God bless you brave, brave women lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The big thing to look for is a reputable salon. Keep your eyes open, if they are careless with their hands (touch their hair or mouth with gloves and don't immediately switch to a new set) or double dip any of the waxing product put on your pants and go. You can get an STI pretty easily from a non-hygenic place and I imagine that is not the wedding gift you were hoping to give the husband.

They will also likely refuse service if you are on your period so keep that in mind. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_exactly-brazilian-wax-entail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:36c62673-5010-4285-ace4-22a53a6d55ddPost:b9b7b3c4-fbbd-429e-b6f0-873b42f76e70">Re: What exactly does a brazilian wax entail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The big thing to look for is a reputable salon. Keep your eyes open, if they are careless with their hands (touch their hair or mouth with gloves and don't immediately switch to a new set) or<strong> double dip any of the waxing product put on your pants and go. You can get an STI pretty easily from a non-hygenic place and I imagine that is not the wedding gift you were hoping to give the husband.</strong> They will also likely refuse service if you are on your period so keep that in mind. 
    Posted by avensong[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

If you do see someone that double dips (no matter the area being waxed), report them to your state board of cosmetology. It comes with a pretty big fine, but if someone's double dipping, they deserve it. Dirty wax can really screw someone up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_exactly-brazilian-wax-entail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:36c62673-5010-4285-ace4-22a53a6d55ddPost:3e576cdc-8a95-4d97-82fc-0891498fa1c7">Re: What exactly does a brazilian wax entail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Brazillan.. helllllll no. God bless you brave, brave women lol
    Posted by Mandafly84[/QUOTE]
     <div>OMGSH... I too am petrified of this. AHHHHH</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm an esthetician at burke williams so i have given plently of brazilian waxes. Usually brazilian they wax everything so if you don't want it all gone get a bikini wax which is going to be the sides and top part. I recommend taking a pain killer before going and make sure to shower and exfoliate the area. If your hair is long i would recommend trimming most salons will do this for you but just in case they don't you might want to do it yourself. I also find it's less painful if they do it in smaller sections and be willing to help hold areas taute for them. To help prevent ingrown hairs and bumps high frequency and exfoliating will help solve that problem. First time you may bleed a little(which is why salons should not double dip sticks when waxing this area) thats completely normal and you could possibly bruise so do a trial way before your wedding so you know what to expect. Everyone is different with waxing this area and in my case I love it my hair didn't grow back for a month and it's so smooth totally worth the pain. =) 
  • Options
    you can tell your waxer what you want. and be sure to do it or they will go to town lol. you can have her leave a strip if you want. backside is totally optional. i've been getting them for a while and i love it. so much better than shaving and lasts longer. you can take a few ibuprofin ahead of time to dull the pain a little but honestly it really isn't that bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards