Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do I need favors?

My FMIL keeps asking me what I'm doing for wedding favors. FI and I have already discussed it and we think it's a stupid expense and know for a fact no one wants another shot glass or matchbook with our name and anniversary on it. It's a place where we can save money as well. We're having a photo booth and think that it's more than ok to have the guests just keep the photos of themselves as a "favor" if we MUST have something by that name. It just gets so annoying when you have to explain choices YOU make for YOUR own wedding. 
158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I need favors?

• Options
    no.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We aren't doing favors. Most of the weddings I've been to have a little candy dish in front of everyone's plate, and that's the favor. The other weddings all gave little gifts with the couple's name/date on it. Why would I want that in my house? It wasn't my wedding.

Anyway, food always goes over well. If we do decide to do something, we'll probably get little jars of apple butter or caramel apples and put those near everyone's plate.
  • Options
    Well, first of all I don't agree that favors are a "stupid" expense. Un-necessary expense is a better term. And you are right, cutesy favors such as shot glasses are generally left behind. However, edible favors are very popular. 

So no, you don't need favors. Obviously your FMIL feels strongly on the subject. Bean dip her. "Oh, well, we decided that the photo booth photos will be the favors. Have you tried this bean dip?"

• Options

We had a candy buffet and no other favors.

btw, I have more 2" photo frames than I can use in a lifetime

• Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Just tell her the pictures from the photo booth are your favors.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    While you don't need to have them, they are another nice way to thank your guests, so I don't think they are stupid.  We are simply doing a candy bar so they can choose what candy or nuts they would like to take home.  Overall, I think it will end up costing us about $3 a person, and less once I sell the candy jars.  I agree that the little charms or shot glasses or something that a person really can't use is more wasteful.  I think your photo booth idea is fine though and people love them!

• Options
    Our candy buffet is our favour.

Do you need them, no? And if you're not going to do something edible it's a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I have never, ever kept a favour longer than 48 hours.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:2a627233-1313-458e-bea0-84c649e65dbb">Re: Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just tell her the pictures from the photo booth are your favors.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly my thought.  I am not doing favors but am having a photo booth.  The photos that they guests can take will be their "favor" and I think it is a more personalized item that they might enjoy keeping around.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing a photobooth and using the prints as our favors.

We went to a wedding about 2 years ago and still have the photobooth picture on our fridge. Everything else I have gotten as a favor has gone unused.
  • Options
    Her problem is her daughter had a photo booth AND personalized wine bottles for a favor. (well la dee da) They also paid for her entire wedding, which will end up being about twice as much as ours. Some people just don't get that others have to forego certain expenses because, well, they can't afford them. 

Also apologize for wording them as "stupid," I'm just more caught up on this argument with her as being stupid. She's already asked twice, so it's like, how much more of a hint do I need to give? lol sheesh
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:feff8056-943b-4fc2-a384-1c559f9caffa">Re: Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't doing favors. Most of the weddings I've been to have a little candy dish in front of everyone's plate, and that's the favor. The other weddings all gave little gifts with the couple's name/date on it. Why would I want that in my house? It wasn't my wedding. Anyway, food always goes over well. If we do decide to do something, we'll probably get little jars of apple butter or caramel apples and put those near everyone's plate.
    Posted by wrigleyville[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I just gotta ask, is that your pug? I'm in love!!

</div>

• Options
    I didn't originally want to do favors. Like you, I viewed it as a waste of money. But my parents and ILs, who split the majority of the wedding costs, wanted favors. Like they say, those who pay get to have opinions. So we decided to do little boxes of M&Ms at each place. It went over really well, and there were hardly any left because we let the kids collect any "abandoned" favors. Oh, and cost roughly $1 per person.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:d67b09f7-1ad9-428c-92c4-226a68d72217">Re: Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Her problem is her daughter had a photo booth AND personalized wine bottles for a favor. (well la dee da) They also paid for her entire wedding, which will end up being about twice as much as ours. Some people just don't get that others have to forego certain expenses because, well, they can't afford them.  Also apologize for wording them as "stupid," I'm just more caught up on this argument with her as being stupid. She's already asked twice, so it's like, how much more of a hint do I need to give? lol sheesh
    Posted by allychase[/QUOTE]

I would just do something easy to appease her then.  Personalize wine bottles sound really nice, but I would look at that and think it was too much.  And what about those who don't drink?  Anyway, I think you should just order some of those little candy bars with your names on the wrappers or a candy dish like PP said.  That way the parents will be happy and it's minimal work and costs for you.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:64fae5f0-8864-4d34-a0fa-d25f118dce9f">Re: Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do I need favors? : I just gotta ask, is that your pug? I'm in love!!
    Unfortunately, no. I'm allergic to dogs. I just really like pugs. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:cd862287-a407-42a4-b872-d3ffa7306f6e">Re: Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do I need favors? : I would just do something easy to appease her then.  Personalize wine bottles sound really nice, but I would look at that and think it was too much.  And what about those who don't drink?  Anyway, I think you should just order some of those little candy bars with your names on the wrappers or a candy dish like PP said.  That way the parents will be happy and it's minimal work and costs for you.
    Posted by lwoehlk[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This may work, thank you :) on an unrelated note, I see you're going to Thailand for your honeymoon. I've been considering it but was wondering if it was safe or not-looking into Phuket maybe? Where are you staying? It looks beautiful!

</div>

• Options
    We did a favor that wasn't super expensive but it was definitely time consuming, and well, we wanted to. 

If you don't wanna do em, don't. No one will miss them. 
  • Options
    We did a photobooth and called that our favor. Bam. Done. Just tell your FMIL that's everyone's favor.

Side note: I thought we'd be all money saving, but because of the photobooth we went with, we actually spent more than had we done more "traditional" favors. Ah well.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We made chocolate covered pretzel rods.  They were all taken home by the guests.  We had 100 people and spent about $80 for the entire thing.  We bought chocolate from Michaels on sale and with a coupon and also bought the pretzel rods on sale at the supermarket.  And we bought food grade plastic bags off ebay to put them in. 
  • Options
    pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    We're also doing a candy bar.  We both like candy, and I don't think I've ever used a wedding favor, apart from a candle.
  • Options
    We are doing a photobooth with photo strips as favors.  We also have these little plastics sleeves with tassels that guests can slip their photo strip into to make it into a bookmark.  We are both English teachers, and we are doing book-themed centerpieces, so this fits with our personalities and our wedding.  I think we spent less than $70 for 150 sleeves and tassels. Maybe something like this would be a compromise that could still fit with your idea of favors, but appease your FMIL as well.
  • Options
    You don't NEED them, but they can be fun. We are doing something edible. Popcorn cones from Popcornopolis.com.....yum!

Laura 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You don't need favours. And if you FMIL isn't helping pay, she has no right to ask you to do things you don't want to. 
    My fiance and I didn't want to do favours either, but then I had an idea of making hot sauce because we both like it, so we're doing that. They're also doubling as the place settings for our tables, so it's actually proving to be quite economical.

My point is, if you really don't want to do it, don't- and don't let anyone tell you otherwise- but if something occurs to you as being a good idea (beyond the photo booth) and you can keep the cost within your range, shouldn't be too painful to do.
  • Options
    We are donating to a wounded warrior as our "favor". You could also do a donation to your favorite charity. I personally think that's better than a picture frame or bottle of personalized wine.
  • Options
    Kdancy0805Kdancy0805 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We are donating to a wounded warrior as our "favor". You could also do a donation to your favorite charity. I personally think that's better than a picture frame or bottle of personalized wine.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    starrynight84starrynight84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:b9006bbf-e832-426a-9230-b50a025fd9ab">Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FMIL keeps asking me what I'm doing for wedding favors. FI and I have already discussed it and we think it's a stupid expense and know for a fact no one wants another shot glass or matchbook with our name and anniversary on it. It's a place where we can save money as well. We're having a photo booth and think that it's more than ok to have the guests just keep the photos of themselves as a "favor" if we MUST have something by that name. I<strong>t just gets so annoying when you have to explain choices YOU make for YOUR own wedding.</strong> 

<div>
    </div><div>But you DON'T have to explain the choices you've made for your wedding.  Just smile and say, "We've decided ____________." or "We haven't made a decision yet. Thanks for your suggestion." Rinse and repeat (with a smile, of course). Don't explain, don't engage. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: And no, favors are not necessary.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:c53cc590-d776-472e-99a1-820e6eb46fcd">Re: Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't NEED them, but they can be fun. We are doing something edible. Popcorn cones from Popcornopolis.com.....yum! Laura 
    Posted by Laurmi[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of this before, but I love it!  The perfect food to munch on during the ride home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are having a photo booth & that is our favor.
    The guests can take unlimited pictures and they will get free copies of their pictures & we also get a copy in a scrapbook.

Perfect.
  • Options
    My vote is no and that the photo booth is more than enough.  However, in saying that I will also say the FI and I have decided to provide a simple inexpensive favor.  We are getting married at a zoo and will be providing small bags of animal crackers (both plain and chocolate covered).  Some family members feel it is silly and cheap but we think it is great and practical.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_do-i-need-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c8c36745-dbaf-4b90-95bc-b627ee0af02cPost:b9006bbf-e832-426a-9230-b50a025fd9ab">Do I need favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FMIL keeps asking me what I'm doing for wedding favors. FI and I have already discussed it and we think it's a stupid expense and know for a fact no one wants another shot glass or matchbook with our name and anniversary on it. It's a place where we can save money as well. We're having a photo booth and think that it's more than ok to have the guests just keep the photos of themselves as a "favor" if we MUST have something by that name. It just gets so annoying when you have to explain choices YOU make for YOUR own wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards