New York-New York City

Advice for DIY/Wholesale Flowers?

Hey Everyone!

I'm hoping to do all my flowers myself.  My centerpieces will not be using any flowers, mostly candles, so I'm set there, but the ceremony flowers - Bouquets, Boutonnieres and corsages - I would love to do myself by buying flowers wholesale.  Has anyone else done this before?  Any advice?  I've thought about taking a flower arranging course or two just to get the basics so the flowers don't look terrible, but I'm not sure.  Would love some advice from people who've been there!

Thanks!

Re: Advice for DIY/Wholesale Flowers?

• I've never done this but I guess you have 2 options as to where to get the flowers.  You can go to the flower district or you can order them from BJs/Costco (you can probably look online, too).  There are some really great videos if you youtube "making a bouquet"  doesn't look hard at all.  If I were you before you sign up for a class just go to the deli and get some cheap flowers and give it a try.  You might need to read up on treating the stems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNc5-axfhAo
    weddingcake-1
  • I am also tempted to DIY my bouquets.  But I am not so courageous.  Would silk flowers be tacky.  What do you think?
  • Superior Florist in the flower district on 6th Ave in the upper twenties has lots of beautiful flowers and less expensive than other florists.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards