Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Cairo Honeymoon Drama..

FI wanted Vietnam for our Honeymoon but, even though it's on my bucket list for a vacation, I decided I wanted a more mainstream destination for our Honeymoon. So we picked Egypt.. We had everything booked, an amazing resort on the Red Sea and side trips to the Nile, pyramids, Giza & Cairo.. Kept waiting & watching, hoping the political situation would resolve quickly & peacefully.. Finally decided yesterday we would have to cancel, it's just too violent and out of control to have a relaxing honeymoon..

Long story short we were on the phone for about 9 hours yesterday with our travel company who wouldn't refund us even though we paid $200 for a traveler protection program.. Apparently 100 dead and a descent into anarchy doesn't count as "extenuating circumstances".. After hours of begging we finally got a flight voucher and a re-booked trip to Belize but we're out an additional $1,000 that was NOT in the wedding budget.  I'm so disappointed but I'm sure Belize will be beautiful and hopefully safer.. (http://www.cocobeachbelize.com/)

Haven't researched it much yet though, does anyone have any suggestions for side trips/must-see places? I know we definitely want to see the big blue hole and some mayan ruins..

Re: Cairo Honeymoon Drama..

• Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no!  I can't believe they wouldn't refund you, whats going on over there is terrible..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    Egypt was on our list of honeymoons too... Thank God we can't book until Sept!

What a nightmare to deal with! So sorry! :(
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised they wouldn't refund you as well.  Perhaps you could inquire at other travel agencies and explain the situation.  Ask them if they are refunding their clients money.  If they are, take that info to your agency as proof that others in the business are refunding.  A few news clippings of the riots, lack of internet, curfews might also help.  If that doesn't work, threaten that you will report them to the Better Business Bureau with a complaint (and follow through if they don't do anything).
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This might help.  It states that travel agents around the world are cancelling trips:

http://tvnz.co.nz/travel-news/unrest-damages-egypt-s-tourism-industry-4010138

and this, which states the US is advising all Americans to leave the country:

http://news1.capitalbay.com/news/egypt_protests_u_s_advises.html
  • k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_cairo-honeymoon-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:4286b9fa-98cd-4fb3-b2d6-a3fd4c35c4dbPost:62e80865-1eed-436f-b2eb-b07e6d3d9405">Re: Cairo Honeymoon Drama..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm surprised they wouldn't refund you as well.  Perhaps you could inquire at other travel agencies and explain the situation.  Ask them if they are refunding their clients money.  If they are, take that info to your agency as proof that others in the business are refunding.  A few news clippings of the riots, lack of internet, curfews might also help.  If that doesn't work, threaten that you will report them to the Better Business Bureau with a complaint (and follow through if they don't do anything).
    Posted by hkiesling[/QUOTE]

This!  The fact that they are scrambling to get Americans out of the country would lead one to think they don't want more going in.

Good luck, and so sorry for the added stress and expense!
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely echo hk in trying to get more of a refund out of them. I would be very hard pressed to see how that could NOT be a extenuating circumstance. The situation there is very scary and volatile. I have a close friend who lives there and I am very worried about her right now. GL with getting more of a refund, if it is possible! Also report it to the whistleblower or travel guy at the startrib, sometimes they are willing to help out because travel agencies usually don't like bad press.
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely pursue your full refund.  heard on the radio today that the US Embassy is evacuating and flying all Americans out of the country. (and struggling to do so because of the lack of internet, unreliable phones and mass chaos!)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What does your contract say? Does it define extenuating circumstances? Your travel insurance should also outline specific details.
  • edited December 2011
    That is insane- When were you planning on going just out of curiousity? Maybe they are being jerks and having a wait and see policy if it is far enough out? Frankly, that is a scary situation over there and there should be no question of a refund!

ETA: I see now you are getting murrrrried in a couple months so probably fairly soon. So scratch that idea :)
  • edited December 2011
    It amazes me that these types of Governments still exist in this day and age. :( I pray that this ends peacefully and wish the US was doing more.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. Like PP, I can't believe political unrest and rioting doesn't count as extenuating circumstances. Sounds like the definition of it to me. Crazy. It seems like channel 5 is always interested in stories like this if you want to go the bad press route, or a BBB threat should get their attention too, like PP said.

On a positive note, I've heard Belize is gorgeous! I don't have any specific advice for you on it, but it sounds like a fantastic alternative! Maybe you can go to Egypt for a big anniversary trip at some point down the road when things have calmed down?        
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi there - sorry about the drama in Egypt.  Awful. I did want to let you know that we just took our HM in Belize in Nov.  It was beautiful and very relaxing.  We really adored a afternoon trip to Shark/Ray alley for amazing snorkelling (and cheap).  We also took the day trip to Lamanai via boat.  Our trip was a little screwy but the ruins were pretty fantastic.  Some recommendations for food are Victoria House, Rojo Lounge and Mambo at the resort MataChica  (Towards the north end of Ambergis Caye). We actually stayed at the Matachica Resort and it was amazing.  I think I remember boating past your resort.  Rojo has amazing food and during the tourist season it may be a bit more hopping as a night club than when we traveled there.

Don't get suckered into the timeshare sellers on the streets of San Pedro for Captain Morgans. Otherwise - the people are really really friendly and the beaches are pretty amazing.  Also - take the plane to the island verses the boat.  Way cooler experience, saves time and is much safer.  Good luck!

photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I emailed with my fantastic travel agent from Springboard Vacations.  They don't do Egypt trips, but she said that there was no industry standard on cancellations for political reasons.  It's on a company by company basis.  She said to read your conditions section very carefully, because sometimes they can be oddly worded.  And pay close attention to the timeframe of how close to departure penalities begin.  She wishes you the best of luck.
  • edited December 2011
    That sucks that you can't get a full refund back.  I agree with PPs, make a stink about it!  That's money you're out for absolutely no good reason.  If it were me going on the trip, I'd probably take more of a wait it out kind of stance.  2 months is quite a bit of time and things could have changed quite a bit for the better (or worse).  My uncle and cousin live there, and I haven't heard anything about them flying back.  I wonder if it's different for teachers, if they're government employees, but I'm not sure if my uncle works for a public or private school.

My uncle also lived in Belize for a time and said it was beautiful.  He's quite the globe trotter.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_cairo-honeymoon-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:4286b9fa-98cd-4fb3-b2d6-a3fd4c35c4dbPost:8bd874ea-b55c-4548-97d2-a5880339fc6e">Re: Cairo Honeymoon Drama..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there - sorry about the drama in Egypt.  Awful. I did want to let you know that we just took our HM in Belize in Nov.  It was beautiful and very relaxing.  We really adored a afternoon trip to Shark/Ray alley for amazing snorkelling (and cheap).  We also took the day trip to Lamanai via boat.  Our trip was a little screwy but the ruins were pretty fantastic.  Some recommendations for food are Victoria House, Rojo Lounge and Mambo at the resort MataChica  (Towards the north end of Ambergis Caye). We actually stayed at the Matachica Resort and it was amazing.  I think I remember boating past your resort.  Rojo has amazing food and during the tourist season it may be a bit more hopping as a night club than when we traveled there. Don't get suckered into the timeshare sellers on the streets of San Pedro for Captain Morgans. Otherwise - the people are really really friendly and the beaches are pretty amazing.  Also - take the plane to the island verses the boat.  Way cooler experience, saves time and is much safer.  Good luck!
    Posted by bellaxanthe[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for all the tips!
    Delta agreed to give us the rest of the money in one-year vouchers so that helps. We're out the $1K for now but we can use it to go visit my sister in CO this summer. Definitely recommend reading the fine print though.. Our traveler protection program was all "Cancel for any reason!" blah blah blah but in actuality it was much more complicated than just canceling. Now that it's all booked I'm getting really excited for Belize though, looks like a beautiful country with lots to see and do! Planning an Egypt trip for our 5-year anniversary now! :)
  • bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also going to mention - Belize City is not that nice or safe.  I have a couple of girlfriends who lived/live down there currently and they gave me that warning. It was fine to meet for a destination trip, but it isn't really somewhere you'll spend a lot of time in.  Also - I do have a girlfriend who is working as a masseuse and yoga instructor on the island.  She did an awesome afternoon massage for me while there.  I can get you her contact information/spa if you'd like. 

And dogs roam free there. If you are a dog person - it's pretty awesome.  Everybody seems to kind of take care of them too.  Have a great time!
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards