Attire & Accessories Forum

How to keep ring from spinning?

I have large knuckles but skinny fingers. If I get my ring sized down it won't go over my knuckle. So my ring moves up and down and spins because it's too big. I currently have one of those plastic "ring snuggies", but I'd like to know if there are other options?

Re: How to keep ring from spinning?

• Eat a cheeseburger =) 

Just kidding.  I wish I had skinny fingers!  I don't have advice. Sorry for posting....
  • I dont know of any other options..I have my ring sized down to a 5 3/4..which is small..I too have large knuckles but small fingers..I would size it down a smig but i left room from when my hands swell (after working out, eating too much salt, the heat)..so sometimes it fits perfect, and sometimes it twirls..I would go back to the jeweler and ask if there is anything more that can be done..my ring is 2 cts so just as long as it cant slip off my finger, im okay..lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Oh my goodness can I relate, I have the same.exact.problem!!! It's infuriating! I did have 2 sizing beads put on the inside of the band when I first got it. That helped a bit, but its still a problem. For my wedding band I am going to get an enhancer which I heard solves the spinning problem, but I more like the way it looks than its practicality. It's the kind where you put your e-ring in the middle and have bands on both sides of the ring. I like the bulky/symmetrical look of those way better than a single wedding band. Not sure if you're interested in it, they cost more than a regular band, but it may solve your problems!

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11791638&kpc=1

• One of my friends has the same problem - she has a ring that clips on the bottom. She can unhinge it so it fits her finger perfectly.

Maybe look into getting a hinge on the bottom, its not very noticable and works perfect! 

I think she opens it with a toothpick (you have to push a tiny button to make it pop open)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding website soon to come!
  • This is a really random old article but it might be helpful.
    http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1998/nov98/1198fys1.html 

One of my friends has the sizer beads and she says they work great.

I have the opposite problem, I'm all cheeseburger fingers and no knuckles.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_keep-ring-spinning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5eac565b-0c8d-430e-b614-34f4d38c4ed7Post:d13e5604-686b-453e-b632-3e31cd7fb9d4">Re: How to keep ring from spinning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eat a cheeseburger =)  Just kidding.  I wish I had skinny fingers!  I don't have advice. Sorry for posting....
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>haha I joke with my fiance this is the ONLY thing small about me. I'm 6ft tall, size 11 shoe, usually a L in clothes and then I randomly wear a size 5.5 in rings? I</div>
  • My ring is a three piece set (with the two bands/enhancers)...but I cant wear the bands until the big day..Im sure that will stop the problem..so until then..gotta keep spinning..lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • I have the same issue- but with the other band it helps a lot- I also have to wait till the big day for that though.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My E-ring constantly spins, even though the salesperson said getting a "European" shank would stop this.  Liar!!!!  I need to get it sized down again. Right now it's a 4.5

Anniversary
  • I have the same issue. I cannot get my ring over my knuckle without using windex first. Then once its on it spins constantly.

• I've honestly debated wearing my ring on a necklace because it spins and literally hurst the inside of my other fingers. I've had it resized twice, now it's to the point i have to use soap to get it off my knuckle, i'm a skinny fingered, big knuckled freak as well.

my fiance tells me that we should downsize "the rock" and i wouldn't have this problem. that usually shuts me up for a few days haha.
    It's for sure I'm gonna love you all the way. Frank Sinatra
  • Honestly I think the ring snuggie that you already have is the best bet because you can remove it as needed.  I wore one for about 6 months until I had my ring sized properly. Even then it still spins occasionally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the same problem.  I the smallest size I could squeeze over my knuckle was a 4.25 but I should be wearing a a size 4 on the finger.  The jeweler suggested the European shank to prevent it from turning.  It STILL turns, espcially when my hands are cold, but maybe not as bad as it would have without. 
  • I have the same issue.  My engagement ring is sized at 4 but still spins....but when I put the other ring with it (the actual wedding ring) that seems to help prevent it a little bit. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My ring spun a lot when I first got it.  It's a solitaire, so the ring is pretty top heavy, which causes the problem.  I have a ring guard on it too, to make it fit better for the time being. As was already mentioned by a PP, I chose a wedding band that is an enhancer, it prevents almost all of the spinning.  I think that no matter what you do, most rings will spin a tiny bit if your hands get really cold. . . . . once in a while is liveable, it's when it happens all the time that is really annoying.  I have heard a lot of the beads that het sodered into the bottom of the ring (here they call them knuckle beads).  They are suppose to work wonders too.  I'm just going to suck it up and deal with the ring guard until September when the wedding band fixes the issue.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_keep-ring-spinning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5eac565b-0c8d-430e-b614-34f4d38c4ed7Post:8542639f-8643-47c7-b747-bf1c2d3d6a98">Re: How to keep ring from spinning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My ring spun a lot when I first got it.  It's a solitaire, so the ring is pretty top heavy, which causes the problem.  I have a ring guard on it too, to make it fit better for the time being. As was already mentioned by a PP, I chose a wedding band that is an enhancer, it prevents almost all of the spinning.  I think that no matter what you do, most rings will spin a tiny bit if your hands get really cold. . . . . once in a while is liveable, it's when it happens all the time that is really annoying.  I have heard a lot of the beads that het sodered into the bottom of the ring (here they call them knuckle beads).  They are suppose to work wonders too.  I'm just going to suck it up and deal with the ring guard until September when the wedding band fixes the issue.
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm meeting with a jeweler next week to get a band made to fit my ring. I think I'm going to look into getting an enhancer instead. thanks!

</div>
  • I have the same problem! My knuckles are a size 5 1/2 and the portion of my finger where the ring sits is a 5. Crazy.

Before you have anything changed to your e-ring, see how it fits when the wedding band is with it. Mine is slightly more snug with the wedding band right next to it, so I'm taking that into account when having my ring sized.

That said, my jeweler is going to put a "bar" along the bottom of the ring. Basically it will make the very bottom of the ring thicker, so the ring will not be in a perfect circle, it will be more oblong, wider across the sides than up and down. This will allow me to get it on and off (with a bit of struggle, let's be honest), but it won't slip around anymore.

• I have the same problem, my diamond is 1.25 car. and it does spin. If I get it sized down (it's a 5 now) I am afraid it will not go  over my knuckles, I don't know what to do               

• I just got engaged and I'm having this problem. My ring is 7 carats so it's on the heavier size and spins constantly! It's a size 4.25 and the ring sound towards my pinky finger and is annoying. Will adding a band hopefully stop this? Does anybody know or should I get it resized? I have to push it a bit over my knuckle. Any advice helpful! <3
  • @Eosgood it's much better practice to start a new thread if you have a question, rather than bumping one that's 3 years old.

• Eosgood said:
    I just got engaged and I'm having this problem. My ring is 7 carats so it's on the heavier size and spins constantly! It's a size 4.25 and the ring sound towards my pinky finger and is annoying. Will adding a band hopefully stop this? Does anybody know or should I get it resized? I have to push it a bit over my knuckle. Any advice helpful! <3
    @Eosgood - What lolo said, but also remember that the ring is top heavy, regardless of the size diamond, but even more so if you have a large diamond.  Because it is top heavy it will spin to one side or the other.  I have not soldered my e-ring to my wedding band so my e ring still spins, especially if my hands are cold and so in turn my fingers are smaller.  I am not sure if adding a band or getting it sized smaller is really going to help.  Keep in mind that your fingers will swell when it is warm so sizing it smaller may end up making it really difficult to take off at the end of the day.

• I have the same issues with my ring spinning around. A friend just informed me about having the two weights/beads/whatever they are called inside the ring to keep it from spinning. I also am hoping that once I have the wedding bands (I am doing an enhancer style, as others have mentioned) and get it all soldered together, it will help. 
  • I have two wedding bands. I had one soldered on each side of my e-ring. It still spins.
  • Helzberg Diamond offered to put two tiny little "beads" on the inside of my band to help keep it from spinning. I was able to go down a size and that helped, I will likely get the "beads" at some point in the future. 
  • My groom-to-be had the knuckle problem and our jeweker recommended a SuperFit, the ring that has the hidden hinge. They said it can be add it to my e-ring, too! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKKRkwVmNI
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards