Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Need some makeup advice

I just had my makeup trial run at my regular salon today and loved it. The catch is, the makeup artist is pregnant and her baby is due 11 days after my wedding (the wedding date is 9-18-10). I am terrified that she'll have the baby early and/or go on bed-rest and be unable to do my makeup. (I know, it's self-centered of me, but oh well.) I don't think the salon has another makeup artist, and I didn't know about her pregnancy or her due date until I showed up for the appointment. 

My question is this: what do I do to make sure I don't find myself without a makeup artist on the morning of the wedding? I live in a rather small area, so there aren't a lot of professional makeup artists around. We have Dillard's and Sephora, and that's about it. The makeup artist didn't mention anything about contingency plans in case she's unavailable on the day of the wedding. I want to use her if she's available, because I love what she did, but I don't want to show up to the salon on the big day and find out she went into labor the night before. Any advice? 

Re: Need some makeup advice

• Options
    Oh wow, that is so risky.  Can you book her without a deposit?  How about doing your own makeup, worse case scenario?  I think you should start practicing on yourself asap.
  • Options
    THat's scary!  I would make sure that you are not responsible for paying for makeup in the event that she is out on your wedding day.  Have you ever had your makeup done at a counter- like say MAC?  I love the way MAC does your makeup and they also provide lessons.  I think I would look into using MAC or having them teach you as your back up plan.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes, I have her booked for the wedding day without a deposit, luckily. I am going to go talk to the girls at my local MAC counter tomorrow, I think. I'll definitely practice on my own too, just in case. Thanks!
  • Options
    Oh I forgot...

Read a lot of blog and watch youtube.  Here are some great links:

This is my blog (I did a series on wedding day beauty which you can search from the label section):
    http://beautifulcanvas.blogspot.com

For youtube, search for "pixiwoo" - they are professional, love them!

Also check out
    www.makeupgeek.com

Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh wow, thank you so much! I'm feeling less terrified now. Thanks, both of you! Smile
  • Options
    Just to add late in the game:  I work at a salon, and we had a stylist do a trial for somebody's wedding, and then quit two weeks later.  We gave the girl another trial (free) with another stylist.  

I'm sure the salon understands the risky situation, and maybe you could ask them if they have a backup plan, and if it would be possible to get a trial with the other girl as well so that you can better decide what to do.  
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • Options
    Also good advice. I will give them a call on Tuesday to see if they can work with me. I love the girl who does my hair, but the staff has never been very organized. Hopefully they'll be able to work something out, though. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards