Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridesmaid timeline?

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find a timeline for ordering bridesmaids dresses? One as specific as possible? I have a dress picked out, and I get 10% off if I order from the same place I got my dress (Wend'y Bridal).

Do they call in their measurements and pay themselves? Or do they give me money and measurements and I place the order for them? The area of the wedding I understand the least is all the techinicalities that come with the bridesmaids!

Also, if my wedding is at the end of June, when should the dress order be placed?

Re: Bridesmaid timeline?

• Options
    I think you should call the store and ask them. It varies depending on the store. The boutique I went to required a $50 deposit in order to hold the order and wouldn't ship the dresses till all the girls paid for them. One of my bridesmaids just paid for hers, the others waiting a few months before doing so, but got them paid for by May which was when the lady said they had to in order to get the dresses in time before October (allowing extra time to get alterations). They all got their dresses really quick. They arrived in June! Less than the 3 months they said it would take. 

Of course one of my bridesmaid's orders got misplaced as I posted about, but she managed to find a dress, so we're all good now. I would just make sure when ordering that you have your order info and then call a couple months before the wedding to make sure the order processed or you end up with the wedding being a month away and no dress! 
  • Options
    We went shopping yesterday for my March wedding. The four girls who came with me ordered yesterday and the other three weren't local. They are calling in and giving their measurements and CC numbers and then the order will be placed. The consultant said that she's been getting January ship dates on recent orders (shipping time is 12-14 weeks), so even if the other three girls wait a bit, the dresses will be there with about 6 weeks to spare. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we ordered my girls dressed 3 months out they got here last week now we still have time for alterations with 1 month left until the big day
  • Options
    BM dresses typically take 3-4 months to come in but that can be shorter or longer depending on the dress/designer/etc.  And then you need time for alterations (probably figure a month) so I'd aim for 4-6 months out to have orders placed.  You pick the dress (with input from the BM's) and put it on file with the store.  The BM's are responsible for calling in their measurement and payment to the store, or going in person to be measured and pay.  It is typical that shops will not place the order with the dress manufacturers without at least a deposit from each BM.  Some stores will require payment in full before placing the order, others will require a deposit to place the order and payment in full before the BM is allowed to pick the dress up after it's arrived.  They wait to order them all together usually to make sure the fabric all comes from the same dye lot so you don't end up with one dress that is a slightly different shade or something. 

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    We ordered ours seven months out and I'm SO GLAD we did. One of the dresses came in with major problems with the zipper (the zipper stopped half way up on one side-not that it wouldn't pull up, but there was just no more zipper) and we had to send it back. It's due a month before the wedding though. Serious problems are unlikely, but it's safest to order early.

Also, if possible, I'd have your girls come in and let the shop measure them. One of my girls measured herself, claimed she had a 24 inch waist, 17 inch hips, and 26 inch boobs. I asked her to double check with the bridal shop and her measurements came out drastically different (17 inch hips-really?)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridesmaid-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:161aa7e5-ef4e-4bc8-b091-acc190a1d19cPost:1317c7f1-e9fb-4c3f-a0e4-1278cdc05412">Re: Bridesmaid timeline?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We ordered ours seven months out and I'm SO GLAD we did. One of the dresses came in with major problems with the zipper (the zipper stopped half way up on one side-not that it wouldn't pull up, but there was just no more zipper) and we had to send it back. It's due a month before the wedding though. Serious problems are unlikely, but it's safest to order early. Also, if possible, I'd have your girls come in and let the shop measure them. One of my girls measured herself, claimed she had a 24 inch waist, 17 inch hips, and 26 inch boobs. I asked her to double check with the bridal shop and her measurements came out drastically different (17 inch hips-really?)
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree that you should ask them to get their measurements done by someone else, rather than doing them themselves, but they don't have to go to the shop you're buying from if they're out of town.  Any seamstress  should be able to do it, maybe for a small fee (DH just got measured for a tux rental for an out of town wedding by the seamstress at our dry cleaners, it was $5).   </div>
  • Options
    I got my wedding dress from Wendy's in Columbus and my wedding is middle June...they suggested ordering them no later than the week before Thanksgiving.  I have never ordered a dress this soon for any other wedding I have been a part of but that is what they told me (I am not getting my BM dresses there anymore though).  also, they will not order ANY dress until all girls have sizes and paid (they require 100% at time of order).  After you talk to your girls, I would call Wendy's to ask all these questions - they answered them all for me.  but I have 2 OOT girls...they can get measurements and call them in.  The dresses can be shipped directly to them once they arrive but it's an extra $20 so it is cheaper for you to pick them up and mail them but that is up to you.  good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards