Missouri-St Louis

2 p.m. Catholic Wedding - Non-Catholic Family Upset

Okay, so its pretty much impossible to find a Catholic Church that will let you get married after 2 p.m. on a Saturday. According to the church where we're getting married, its an Archdiocesan rule because of the Saturday evening Masses. So anyway, our wedding is at 2 p.m. and our reception is at 6 p.m. I didn't think this would be a big issue. I have many Catholic friends who have done it this way. My mom's side of the family is Catholic and my FI's family is Catholic. So many people in St. Louis are Catholic, I feel like most of the weddings I go to are timed this way. Everyone seems to think its normal, except my dad's family. My dad converted and his family isn't Catholic. They also live outside St. Louis, where I'm guessing this is not at all common.

At a cousin's baby shower, my aunt cornered my mom recently to tell her how awful it is that we have all this time between the wedding and reception. What is she supposed to do between? We are basically just the rudest people ever. My mom tried to explain to her that we couldn't avoid it because of the church's rules. She wouldn't hear it. We're terrible and rude people according to her. I don't really know what to think of all of this or how to respond. One of my dad's other sister's was saying she'll take that time to check into the hotel and freshen up. She didn't seem upset. (But really who knows?) Should I just let it go and figure that my aunt's just not going to be happy? Or should I try to figure out some way to please her? Keep in mind, that our wedding is only a month away.

Re: 2 p.m. Catholic Wedding - Non-Catholic Family Upset

• ashleyegashleyeg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have always thought weddings were earlier and the reception more at night to  get drunk and what not unless its in the same place. I would tell them its YOUR day to shine. I think It would be nice to have a breather in between them both for you and your new hubby some free time and for guests to freshen up
  • mightyoakesmightyoakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is what it is! They will just have to suck it up!
  • edited December 2011
    It is what it is.  That is policy for St. Louis, but even as someone who was raised Catholic, it can be a PITA.  Sometimes, people do fun things (one of my friends had a trolley for the guests to tour Soulard, another hosted a happy hour for guests at a restaurant) to make sure their guests aren't just stranded all day.  That's one idea if you can build it into the budget.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • janejane43janejane43 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weddings in my family are always done this way (mine included). Its really not that unusual. We usually have an in between party with the family, where we all go to someone's house and have snacks and drinks. Especially when there is out of town family its nice to have more time together. You may want to see if someone on your Mom's side of the family can host a get together for the out of towners so they have something to do before the reception. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a place to get together.
     Its your day, don't let a few grumpy family members mess it up! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Exactly what janejane said...
    A lot of our out of towners went back to the hotel for a while but my cousin hosted a large group of out of town family and friends at her place between events.
    It will all work out. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, this is pretty standard in my circle. I'm Catholic and my wedding will be at 1:30pm and our cocktail hour starts at 5:30pm. Do you have a cocktail hour? That could help if you start that before your 6pm reception. But you know...most guests I know just go back to their hotels to relax before the reception. You could try to organize something, like light refreshments after the ceremony but ultimately its up to you. You might get flamed on some of these boards, but IMO, its just b/c people dont understand the scheduling conflict with the 5pm mass. Hopefully your family will come around and realize they should focus on celebrating your marraige and family togetherness instead of a few hours gap inbetween the ceremony and reception. 
    Photobucket Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • EmBride2011EmBride2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Almost every wedding I've gone to has been this way- big break in between ceremony and reception. Any time I've gone out of town to one with that break in between, I've taken it upon myself to find something to do in the in-between time- go back to the hotel to hang out, find something cool and tourist-y to do, whatever.
    I'm sure it's just one more stress you don't need to be dealing with so close to the wedding, but it will work itself out and they'll figure something out to do. Try to not let it get to you!

• leighinstlleighinstl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I feel much better. We'll see if we can find something or make some suggestions of things to do. But I'm not going to stress over it. I'm glad having a big gap between the wedding and reception is normal to other people too.
  • Cipolla2BeCipolla2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it....  She's the one being rude because there is nothing you can do about it, oh and the wedding is not about her.  People may fuss but at the end of the day, they will get over it.  They can go back to their hotel and nap or go down to McGurk's and enjoy a frosty brew. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    I think they're being pretty unreasonable.  Still, if you want to try to make things better with them, you can send a list of "fun things to do in the area" to your relatives or post it on your wedding website.  I wouldn't worry too much.  They're the ones being rude, and you've done your best to accommodate.
    Good luck planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards