Texas-Houston

University of Houston Chapel

Hey folks,
We are planning our wedding for 11/4/12 with the ceremony at UH Chapel and the reception at the Alden. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for either the ceremony or reception places? we are in NY, so don't have a lot of access to either, and need as much info as possible.

For UH - we are planning on the 4:30 pm ceremony slot. Our date is daylight savings time (sunset around 5:15 pm), and we are worried that the late afternoon sun will blind or fry our guests. Has anyone had this slot in the fall? Is the sun generally a problem? 

Also, for the Alden, what sorts of decorations are recommended? We are not sure how much the space needs sprucing up or if its better left with the natural exposed brick look. 
TIA!

Re: University of Houston Chapel

• edited December 2011
    I just attended a 2:00 wedding at UH a few weekends ago. There was not a problem with the sun at all, and it is actually quite nice inside.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KAnde818KAnde818 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at the alden too. I like that it doesn't need a lot of extra decorations. We are doing a candle wall in front of the ivy wall. It gives it dimension. We are going to do uplighting and a gobo monogram for the dance floor. But the majority of our decorations will be with linens and florals. I'm renting chairs because I HATE the white garden chairs. But thats just my personal preference.
    PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_university-of-houston-chapel-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:121Discussion:efb48edf-039d-476b-b7e7-998c548cf0c7Post:dee706ca-c5a8-4e02-866a-e0d1a1c8b565">Re: University of Houston Chapel</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just attended a 2:00 wedding at UH a few weekends ago. There was not a problem with the sun at all, and it is actually quite nice inside.
    Posted by mtsookasem[/QUOTE]

I just attended a wedding there at 4:30 a couple weeks ago...and the sunset is MUCH later right now that it will be for original poster's wedding.

4oclock your date will be fine.

4:30 right now...was... well, the bride and groom had different lighting on their faces. and come time for formal portraits the sun was blaring down on the ceremony area hard.

It's a gorgeous chapel that no, does not need much additional decorating.
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• mpwdpwmpwdpw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married there as well. :)  Gorgeous place and the Organist was AWESOME!!!  No need to hire an orchestra unless you want one.  I did silk flower arangements at the front and bows on every other row.  My wedding was late in the evening so unfortunately I don't know about the Sun. 

The Chapel is much better in person and all of our pictures turned out great!!

• edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding last April and the ceremony took place at the UH Chapel.  The chapel itself is beautiful with lots of rich colors and dark wood.  The wedding was midday on a sunday and it actually rained the entire time. But, the friday afternoon before was the rehearsal - and it was very sunny.  But, I never remember thinking it was too bright.  I agree with Mustang, that time of year it will be perfect that time of day.
    My suggestions based on our experience are:  Do not plan to dress in the building the chapel is in.  We were giving a "dresssing room" which was actually a classroom with vertical blinds that did not shut entirely.  It was so hot in that dang room we were all sweating trying to get into our dresses, including the bride. 
    Be prepared to share the building with random people coming in and out.  Have an usher stand at the back doors to ensure no one uninvited crashes the chapel during your ceremony. 
    In case of rain, don't be shy, drive your vehicle all the way up to the chapel doors.  You may have to drive reaaallllly slow to avoid pedestrians, but at least you will stay dry. 
    Be aware of church service times and other wedding start/end times. 

Below is a picture of the 4-ish friday in April reharsal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards