New York-Hudson Valley

F/U to my last post

Re: F/U to my last post

• edited December 2011
    Hey Jaimie! I'm so sorry about how difficult it is finding jobs out there. Not an easy task at all for recent grads - I can't imagine being in your position but something will come up for you if you keep at it.

To answer your questions, I am a Purchasing Agent for a Wine and Spirits importer/distributor. Basically I place orders with wineries on the other side of the world to import their wine. I've been in purchasing/buying since I graduated college (2004) and this is my 3rd different purchasing type of position. By far I like the wine industry the best!

Good luck in your search! I know it's exhausting but keep at it!
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm a computer programmer for a life insurance company based in the city (but I work in Westchester).
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I'm an accountant for LeCroy Corporation in Chestnut Ridge, NY.  I'm currently looking to switch jobs since it appears I am worth more money elsewhere.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • edited December 2011
    i teach special education at a middle school in Rockland. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>
  • edited December 2011
    I teach math at a Middle School in Westchester.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    college psych professor
  • MYLOVE315MYLOVE315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm an Executive Assistant In Advertising. I work for the Managing Director, Chief Creative Officer & Finance Director @ Saatchi & Saatchi in New York city. I have a 4 hour commute every day - 2 hrs each way but it's my bread and butter. Someday when I grow up I'll figure out what I wanna be -- right now its paying muh bills but I do like my job & the peeps I work for...plus I get 6 weeks vacay! That's a major perk :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    chris - I work 5 minutes from you!! I'm on Chestnut Ridge Rd in Montvale NJ :)
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KWats2011KWats2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_fu-last-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:4cb4db2b-30f6-4ae9-9141-b8a63ce4db48Post:5ecec5eb-a158-4d35-b86b-3b4bdf5f1df6">Re: F/U to my last post</a>:
    [QUOTE]chris - I work 5 minutes from you!! I'm on Chestnut Ridge Rd in Montvale NJ :)
    Posted by manda26[/QUOTE]

I'm in Wayne! However, I am between jobs right now... hopefully getting one in Parsippany soon, but keeping my fingers crossed! I used to work for msnbc
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest my read shelf:
    Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_fu-last-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:4cb4db2b-30f6-4ae9-9141-b8a63ce4db48Post:31575ec8-31bd-4ace-9262-0bd2cdf34d2b">Re: F/U to my last post</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm an Executive Assistant In Advertising. I work for the Managing Director, Chief Creative Officer & Finance Director @ Saatchi & Saatchi in New York city. I have a 4 hour commute every day - 2 hrs each way but it's my bread and butter. Someday when I grow up I'll figure out what I wanna be -- right now its paying muh bills but I do like my job & the peeps I work for...plus I get 6 weeks vacay! That's a major perk :-)
    Posted by MYLOVE315[/QUOTE]

My commute is about the same!!!! 1 1/2 on the train plus another 20 minutes or so on the subway (this is each way). 

I am a Manager of Theatrical Audit for a law firm who represents the motion picture industry.  I have worked at the same firm since I graduated college.   I love it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am an admin asst at Con Ed.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I work at a major car dealership for the hudson valley,
    we have 7 different stores so i report all of their vehicle sales and transfers to other dealerships and i report all of the warrantys to the companies.
  • edited December 2011
    I work in HR, I do staff development and training at not-for-profit company (cannot mention name). I train all of our employees, I love what I do! I also assist with our benefits as well.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_fu-last-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:4cb4db2b-30f6-4ae9-9141-b8a63ce4db48Post:5ecec5eb-a158-4d35-b86b-3b4bdf5f1df6">Re: F/U to my last post</a>:
    [QUOTE]chris - I work 5 minutes from you!! I'm on Chestnut Ridge Rd in Montvale NJ :)
    Posted by manda26[/QUOTE]

haha too funny! I used to work in Woodcliff Lake and then I moved on down the street!  Im on Chestnut Ridge Road!
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work in HR too, but I do mostly employee communications & events and not typical HR related hiring/firing/etc. I work for an electronics company now, it's a ton of work, but I get tuition assistance towards my Masters and I have a really great team & boss, so it's worth it! Down the road, I would like to do something a little more creative.

The 10 minute commute also helps! :)
  • MYLOVE315MYLOVE315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SSAGE...
     Who knew and I thought I was the only crazy one doing a 4hr commute. haha.  I love the company! ....I think one day (when I can - and when I stop paying for this wedding) I need to find something closer to home. I never realized how much commuting can age you :-(  I miss my quality of "time" ya know. No mater how much I love my job-- it's just sooooo freaking far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a nurse, and am VERY fortunate to live within 20 minutes of my hospital...I'm not very good at waking up at night and end up running late all the fleepin time.
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_fu-last-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:4cb4db2b-30f6-4ae9-9141-b8a63ce4db48Post:62e50327-803f-4e11-b396-0783b69f1fb5">Re: F/U to my last post</a>:
    [QUOTE]SSAGE...  Who knew and I thought I was the only crazy one doing a 4hr commute. haha.  I love the company! ....I think one day (when I can - and when I stop paying for this wedding) I need to find something closer to home. I never realized how much commuting can age you :-(  I miss my quality of "time" ya know. No mater how much I love my job-- it's just sooooo freaking far!
    Posted by MYLOVE315[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better, I've been doing it for 15 years!  :)  I am not a morning person so i sleep then and either do work, read or sleep at night.   I know it will be tough when i go back to work after the baby but I do love my job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am a Civil Engineer.  I do land development including residential and commercial development projects and design the roads, sewer, water, and drainage.
  • jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I teach Kindergarten in Rockland County.  Before that I taught in a middle school in NYC for 8 years.  I too was part of the 1hr and 45 min commute each way.  Now my commute is close to 40 min and it doesn't even feel like a commute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Manda, do you work for Winebow??

I worked in Montvale for 8 years ... but just last week changed jobs to one in the city.

I'm an editor, but just switched from publishing to advertising.
  • edited December 2011
    Currently, I'm a receptionist. And I love my job!

But previously had waitressed, worked in retail and in print advertising sales. All of those were stressful. I'm much happier in a standard 9-5 job!
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I handle financial paperwork at a university... my job used to have more variety so I liked it more but now it is pretty boring.  But I am hanging in there because it allows me to get my MBA for virtually free.  I've jumped around to a few different industries and types of jobs since I graduated from college in 2003.  I'm hoping to find my "dream job" type of thing once I get my MBA in June. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Im a Flight Attendant/Air Hostess...some seem to think I'm a personal assistant! So I really envy all your commutes....i work out of Canada!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards