California-Napa

Napa Valley Wedding Under $15K--suggestions?

Hi--we want to get married in the Napa Valley in September or early October 2010.  We've been talking to a few locations (Sylvan Lake Estate and Pelkan Ranch)...and one caterer (Piper Johnson).  A friend suggested Claudia K for flowers--but when I called, they answered St. Helena Florist--what's going on?  Would love any suggestions on locale, caterers, florists, photographers, etc. that would help make the $15K possible!  thanks!!

Re: Napa Valley Wedding Under $15K--suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    Any luck with sylvan estate??  I've heard of that place!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what your take on Piper Johnson was...we did meet with them and werent very impressed.  We went with DK Catering (we got a lot more for our money than Piper Johnson was offering).  We almost went with Sonoma Valley Caterer...they are very awesome...but again DK gave us more bang for our buck.
  • edited December 2011
    $4,500 site fee, but includes lodging in the house for up to 8 people for 2 nights and a week in the italian Alps at his home there.  Heading out in February to Angwin to see in person!
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the reco--I'll check them out!!
  • opy2705opy2705 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I am a wedding photographer. I have been shooting wedding out in AZ for about 5 years and I am moving back home to the bay area on July 1st. I'll be out in march from the 22nd til the 29th if you are interested inmeeting. In order to get my clientel base started out there I am offering 50% off my wedding packages for the first year. Please keep me in mind, I am at http://opalmomentsphotography.com/

Thanks!
    Opal

Prices,
    Bronze $1100One Photographer (Opal)
    6 hours of coverage
    All images on CD with a copyright release
    All images retouched when neededCreative photo shopping (black and whites, black and whites with a little color ect.)
    Password protected online gallery   

Silver $1500
    Two Photographers
    7 hours of coverage
    8x10  Wedding Photo Book
    All wedding and engagement images on CD with a copyright release Cd and Copyright releases for parents of the Bride and Groom.  (2 additional cd's)
    All images retouched when neededCreative photo shopping (black and whites, black and whites with a little color ect.)
    Password protected online gallery   

Gold $1800
    Two Photographers
    8 hours of coverage
    Engagement session5x7 photo book of engagement photosAll wedding and engagement images on CD with a copyright release Cd and Copyright releases for parents of the Bride and Groom.  (2 additional cd's)Two 5x7 books for parents with 30 pages12x12 photo book with 30 pagesAll images retouched when neededCreative photo shopping (black and whites, black and whites with a little color ect.) Password protected online galler
  • opy2705opy2705 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also offer a $50 reward to anyone who refers me to a couple  that books their wedding with me.

http://opalmomentsphotography.com/
  • mcorneilmcorneil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would love to hear the suggestions you heard, we are planning a wedding with a similar budget, any help greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
  • agoldhammeragoldhammer member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Buena Vista Winery site fee is per head, which is awesome. It is saving us a lot of $$, and it was our first choice of a locale, regardless of the cost - so we lucked out. I would definetaly check 'em out. Ask for Stephanie.

The best catering for the price we found was Broadway Catering. They are taking care of everything and even staying under our budget! They throw in a "wedding planner" the week of the wedding, which is awesome.

Flowers is where you will get gauged. We decided to do our own flowers and are buying direct from the grower - Neve Brothers in Petaluma. It's a working flower farm, so don't expect anything fancy like a receptionsit - it's greenhouses and tractors, which is so cool- we're picking up buckets of flowers and arranging ourselves, but we will be using roses and peonies at a fraction of the cost of what any of the florists we met with could do for price.

Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    We went with Piper Johnson and we regret it, she was the most stressful factor of my wedding planning process.

Although it is not in Napa, I would look at The Lodge in Sonoma. Although they are a hotel, they have a very nice seperate wedding location on site and packages are reasonable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    My little firecracker. Born on her due date,7/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker MarriedBio
  • edited December 2011

Check out Reel to Real Video (www.reeltorealvideo.com)....they offer ceremony til last dance coverage with two videographers and four cameras for only $1595. And their work is superb! I used them and would recommend them to anyone!

• edited December 2011
    We are marrying in Viansa Winery October this year. Gorgeous Tuscan style winery and vineyards! The staff, food and wine are awesome! We fell in love at Viansa when we first tasted their wines and so I recommend it highly!
  • peter.bernicepeter.bernice member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh! You'll Have to tell me about your experience at Viansa. It's one of our top choices as well. :) can you share some details about your wedding? Are you getting married in the courtyard? I kind of liked the lawn area better for the ceremony.  Are you using the tent? I wasn't a huge fan of it, but they said we can open up the sides, which made my decision to be at Viansa much higher. :) What type of lighting are you using? Sorry, i'm super curious since i've been talking to Laura at Viansa about all of this. :)

Good luck and Congrats! :)
  • jmlbridejmlbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where did you find information on Sylvan? I can not find any actual info or contact information.
  • lenandmelissalenandmelissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I met with Piper Johnson and was not impressed.
    We decided to do a lobster feed, we're using Sorenson Catering.
    Classic Rentals.
    Brad Kinney Productions-DJ.
    Northern Lighting.
    Choco Studio Photography
    Florist -I'm using Claudia K and she'll work with any budget!
  • mcpugglemcpuggle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone have any contact info on Pelkan ranch?

And did you call Sylvan Lake, or is there an email address?  Thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    I am also planing a $15K wedding in Napa or Sonoma and could use any and all pointers! Looking at 80 to 100 guests--is that even possibile for this budget in this area (without sacrificing quality)? Help, please!
  • opmanageropmanager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can help you guys with a small piece of your wedding, pressing or cleaning your gown before or after the ceremony.  I work for a mystery shopping company with a dry cleaning client in Napa and we are seeking mystery shoppers for them.  Basically you would take in your cleaning (it could be your gown, mother's dress, going-away rehearsal outfit) and pick it up like normal, but you fill out an online shop form about your drop off and pick up.  The form asks things like what the counter person was wearing, what they said when greeting you and in closing, if the floor was clean, if the counter top was cluttered.  After you submit your forms, we reimburse you up to $25 for the cost of your cleaning plus $5 for your time in filling out the forms.  It's not a lot of help with the cost of a wedding, but every little bit helps! 

If you are interested, please email opmanager@marketwi.com or visit our web site at www.marketwi.com and sign up to become a shopper.  MarketWise Consulting has been providing mystery shopping services since 1996 and is a member of the Mystery Shopping Providers Association. 

Congratulations everyone!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got back from my venue hunt, and we'll be getting married at Sylvan Lake Estate on July 16, 2011, woo hoo!  It's beautiful, and the grounds are so pretty that you really don't need much in the way of ceremony decor.  The only flowers we're ordering are boquets and centerpieces, which will save a lot of $.  John is great, and the phone number is (707)965-2183.
  • katiedukelowkatiedukelow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on picking a venue!  Sylvan looks amazing.  I would like to tour it when I visit next month.  On a map it looks really far away from anything...do you think the area is too far for guests to travel from Napa or are there good lodging options/restaurants in the area?  Thanks!
  • napanannynapananny member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello!
    The key to a reasonably priced wedding is simple. LESS PEOPLE.
    I had a GORGEOUS wedding 10 years ago at MEADOWOOD all for under $2,000!!  That included the dress.  Why?  Because we had 12 people.  Wonderful food!  Immediate family and a couple friends.... simple, simple simple!!
    What matters is NOT the wedding itself my friends...it's AFTER that counts.  Make it beautiful, keep it simple!

And, if your in need of nanny services, please take a look at my website at:

Take care, and much happiness to you both!
  • edited December 2011
    I love all these suggestions, let's keep it going.  I am a Sept - 2011 bride in Sonoma.  I am trying to keep it under $15K as well, so please share any "great deal" vendors.

I spoke with the man who owns Sylvan estate, and I abslutely loved him.  The place looked gorgeous, and a great deal for the area.  We chose Garden Pavilion since it was located near more hotels and we have a lot of out-of-town guests.

Right now I am trying to find a photographer and DJ that won't cost me and arm and a leg, catering is next ;-)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try CK Hwang at 39 East (www.39eastphotography.com), his pricing is all a la carte so you only pay for the things you want.  He is an incredible value for the amazing work that he does, and is super nice.  We're using him for our July wedding, can't wait to see the work he does!
  • edited December 2011
    Sylvan Lake Estate-- how much is that? I'm trying to stay under $10k I think it is a lost cause!

We have been really trying to get creative...renting an italian villa would be awesome though because that is where we want to go on our HM.

All I've found is my dress.. Alfred Angelo and my photographer Nirav Patel : http://niravphotography.com/blog/

Need more venue and catering tips!!
  • edited December 2011
    Ohh though I did find two good caterers A la Heart and Trends, not sure which one we are picking yet but I think A La Heart. What is going to kill my budget is the venue and the wine LOL
  • mapledonutsmapledonuts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We viewed the Sylvan Estates this past summer. It is perfect for an outdoor wedding. It gave us the feel of an elegant backyard wedding. Which is what we were looking for. We ended up going with something a little closer to my parents house, but we did consider it. You also have to drive a bit to get to it, so it is a little harder for guests. I would do shuttles from the hotels. And if I remember, the fee for just the location is $5k.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Any contact info for Pelkan Ranch?? I am in love with a wedding album I found there but cannot find any contact information!!! 
  • sarahgoettsarahgoett member
    First Comment
    edited September 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards