California-Bay Area
Options

Newly Engaged and Looking for Reception Venues in Monterey, CA

Hello!

My fiance and I just got engaged and I've started the search for reception venues in Monterey or Pacific Grove, California. My family lives there and we're planning to have our ceremony at Lover's Point Park in Pacific Grove, CA. I've found a few reception venues that I like (e.g., The Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Asilomar Conference Center, Memory Garden, etc.) but am looking for additional potential reception venues at a reasonable price. 

Also - has anyone booked with a caterer that they would recommend from Monterey, CA? I've looked at Grapes of Wrath and Classic Catering. Are there any others?

Thank you!

Re: Newly Engaged and Looking for Reception Venues in Monterey, CA

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello!

My fiance and I just got engaged and I've started the search for reception venues in Monterey or Pacific Grove, California. My family lives there and we're planning to have our ceremony at Lover's Point Park in Pacific Grove, CA. I've found a few reception venues that I like (e.g., The Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Asilomar Conference Center, Memory Garden, etc.) but am looking for additional potential reception venues at a reasonable price. 

Also - has anyone booked with a caterer that they would recommend from Monterey, CA? I've looked at Grapes of Wrath and Classic Catering. Are there any others?

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is an amazing aquarium.  I do not know how the reception area is but it is a great aquarium in general.  I had a wonderful time at a family reunion at Asiomar.  Nice thing there is that OOT guests could stay there and enjoy the coast.  Also, have you considered any of the wineries in the area.  Not sure who have appropriate venues, but it is another option.  Here is a link. http://monterey.winecountry.com/eventplanning/weddings.html

If you end up bringing in your own wine.  I strongly consider trying out Hahn wines.  They are honestly the best value wines I have ever had.  I am serving their wine at my wedding.

Good luck and enjoy the planning process.  Sorry I do not have more advice.
    September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    imageimage
  • Options
    KeelsmarksKeelsmarks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I worked in the area( in weddings for about a year) and I would consider moving your wedding inland to Carmel Valley. Monterey is notoriously foggy and it's not unusual for it to be 54 and misting when it's 85 degrees 2 miles inland. 

Good spots in Carmel Valley- Mission Inn, Holly Farm, Carmel Valley Ranch, Bernardus, Tehama, Holman Ranch. In Monterey, Monterey Plaza is nice. 

Vendors that I LOVED to work with- 
    Cake- Bechlers
    Flowers- Mid Valley Florist (Nancy)
    Photographer- Carlie Statsky
    Officiant- Brian Lyke 

Grapes of Wrath ALMOST catered my wedding a few years ago and we called off the wedding. They were wonderful to deal with and the tasting was great. Good luck!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! These are most helpful.

Our plan is to have the wedding in PG (we know the weather is completely unpredictable...but I've wanted to get married at Lover's Point Park since I was little ;)) with close family and friends, and then possibly have the reception a little farther away with a larger group. I'm definitely going to check out the recommendations for Carmel that were listed above. Any other suggestions in either Big Sur, Pebble Beach, or Monterey?

Thank you!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got married at Berwick Park, which is down the street from Lovers Point and we had our venue at East of Eden. I highly recommend this place! It is a huge venue for very inexpensive!!! It is in the Monterey Elks Lodge facility. Here, Grapes of Wrath does the catering and they are amazing. The food was excellent for prices that you can't beat. I would reccommend giong with them for the catering even if you don't do the reception at the hall. They do a ton of weddings at other venues too, so you can ask them for suggestions too. I would highly recommend our dj and photographer too. Both ours were excellent and affordable. Hope all goes well!
    Photographer- tgray photography tgrayphotography.com
    dj- portable party (he is the owner and does all the events HIMSELF) portablepartydj.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our reception is at The Old Whaling Station in Monterey.
    ~*~11.11.11, i'm marrying my best friend~*~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know I'm late for this post but just wanted to give you my 2 cents.

All of the places Keels said and also check out The Perry house & Gatherings they are owned by the same company, really nice people, adorable and affordable.

What time of the year are you planning on getting married, that would really determine where to go as well. I live in Monterey and have grown up here, the weather is so unpredictable. The best time for weather is *usually* August-October.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards