Catholic Weddings
Options

Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably)

So my hubby and I are using Creighton right now and are in TTA mode.  Due to cycle craziness since the wedding... we had to abstain for the wedding night and entire honeymoon and are now on charting the second cycle since the wedding.  We've of course been able to consummate our marriage several times since, but now we're dealing with another crazy cycle!  CM buildup began only two days after the end of my period... and the only thing I can find in my Creighton booklet is that it's early ovulation, typical of pre-menopause.  Pretty sure that I'm not pre-menopausal since I'm only 26!  Do you ladies have any insight as to what other conditions or hormonal defficiences might be causing this?  I already know I have PCOS and am planning on going in to an appointment with an NFP physician soon... but thought I'd check with you ladies in case Sympto-thermal or other Creighton users may have more insight on or experience with this.  TIA!!

Re: Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably)

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I do the sympto-thermal method. I have noted CM a couple days after my period ended. Granted, it wasn't "fertile" CM, but CM nonetheless. I just had my annual obgyn appt and everything is perfectly normal (and has been for a while), so I don't think in my case it means anything.

I do not know anything about Creighton though!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    not famliar with Creighton either.

but maybe its somethign in the air?  i had extremely fertile CM on day 8 of my cycle (yesterday) that i wasnt expecting (usually comes around day 12).

were you on the pill before?  if so, how many cycles have you been off of it?  if it was fairly recent, you could still be flushing the hormones which is causing things to be off.
  • Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-question-nfp-ers-tmi-probably?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7d106443-8852-4e89-9d80-7215b3ffa7b9Post:07a175a8-edd4-414f-b924-c8748e0aa799">Re: Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably)</a>:
    [QUOTE] but maybe its somethign in the air?  i had extremely fertile CM on day 8 of my cycle (yesterday) that i wasnt expecting (usually comes around day 12). Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Hey, if real-life friends can jump cycles to get on the same calendar, surely internet friends can too ;).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, there are several explanations for it. One of the ones I had when I first started charting was a condition called "cervical eversion". (scar tissue on the cervix). This creates a type of mucous, which may have some similar qualities to fertile mucous, but not necessarily all. This is the extra category of "gummy" comes in. Like airplaine glue. It was over an inch.

Creighton is standardized teaching, so the teacher is required to have you chart it as fertile for the first 3 months. Then you get to use yellow stickers. When you have this extra mucous, you look for a "point of change" in order to see when the real fertile mucous comes. Eventually, when confident, the yellow days are treated the same as green days.

When my doc saw that I was getting this pretty much every day, he did a procedure called a cryo (freezing cervix). It was uncomfortable but not painful. It pretty much stopped the extra mucous from coming.

This is why I'm such a huge advocate of charting pre-marriage. It took me a couple years to feel completely comfortable with the differences. (I was given a picture book and some extra pointers in how to decipher it). But now, 9 years later, its so easy to know whats going on.

There are other easy explanations such as dryer sheets, detergent, AND...light. Keeping a room completely dark with no computer/tv red lights or artificial lights during sleep is good. Artificial light somehow can mess with cycles as it disturbs the natural flow of the day (no pun intended).
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If this is early ovulation, perhaps it can be a deficiency in diet. There is a book called "Fertility cycles and nutrition" that might help
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto everything Agape said and...you might just be ovulating early (not because you're premenopausal, just 'cause), or have a wacky mucous day. I would just monitor things for now and make an appt. with your doc when you are able.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-question-nfp-ers-tmi-probably?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7d106443-8852-4e89-9d80-7215b3ffa7b9Post:07a175a8-edd4-414f-b924-c8748e0aa799">Re: Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably)</a>:
    [QUOTE]not famliar with Creighton either. but maybe its somethign in the air?  i had extremely fertile CM on day 8 of my cycle (yesterday) that i wasnt expecting (usually comes around day 12). were you on the pill before?  if so, how many cycles have you been off of it?  if it was fairly recent, you could still be flushing the hormones which is causing things to be off.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    I haven't been on the pill since HS when my doctor prescribed it for ammenorhea... so over 8 years.  I'm assuming it's out of my system :)  I'm on metformin right now, instead!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-question-nfp-ers-tmi-probably?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7d106443-8852-4e89-9d80-7215b3ffa7b9Post:88eaca45-5dd3-43c0-b938-c385c0c1cb05">Re: Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably) : Hey, if real-life friends can jump cycles to get on the same calendar, surely internet friends can too ;).
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]
    This would be hilarious :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_charting-question-nfp-ers-tmi-probably?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:7d106443-8852-4e89-9d80-7215b3ffa7b9Post:ae9f21cb-c94b-4a81-8aa0-ced2cebb5c73">Re: Charting question for NFP-ers... (TMI, probably)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, there are several explanations for it. One of the ones I had when I first started charting was a condition called "cervical eversion". (scar tissue on the cervix). This creates a type of mucous, which may have some similar qualities to fertile mucous, but not necessarily all. This is the extra category of "gummy" comes in. Like airplaine glue. It was over an inch. Creighton is standardized teaching, so the teacher is required to have you chart it as fertile for the first 3 months. Then you get to use yellow stickers. When you have this extra mucous, you look for a "point of change" in order to see when the real fertile mucous comes. Eventually, when confident, the yellow days are treated the same as green days. When my doc saw that I was getting this pretty much every day, he did a procedure called a cryo (freezing cervix). It was uncomfortable but not painful. It pretty much stopped the extra mucous from coming. This is why I'm such a huge advocate of charting pre-marriage. It took me a couple years to feel completely comfortable with the differences. (I was given a picture book and some extra pointers in how to decipher it). But now, 9 years later, its so easy to know whats going on. There are other easy explanations such as dryer sheets, detergent, AND...light. Keeping a room completely dark with no computer/tv red lights or artificial lights during sleep is good. Artificial light somehow can mess with cycles as it disturbs the natural flow of the day (no pun intended).
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]
    My fi and I started lessons and charting 9 months before the wedding!  My cycles were relatively steady and "normal" as far as phases and such at 35-40 days in length prior to the wedding but have gone crazy weird since then!  Since we didn't have sex until after we were married (it's also still pretty painful for me at this point) maybe that's causing some of the crazy mucous?  My younger sister had to start out on yellow stamps when she learned Creighton... so maybe I'm having similar issues post-marriage?  Mine isn't necessarily gummy though... only occasionally.  I'll definitely check out the nutrition book you recommended, though... I probably need to watch my diet a lot more since I have PCOS!
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it a possible yeast infection that may be causing your crazy mucus patterns?

I don't think just having sex would be causing your mucus to change so much, unless you're mistaking seminal residue from CM.  But, I think they teach you the difference pretty well in creighton?  Is it arousal fluid maybe? (again, I think they cover that pretty well in Creighton)

Only other thing I can think of is a yeast infection.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for posting this! Even though I have not been in the conversation, I have been using the Ovulation Method for about a year now. FI and I are waiting, but things have been crazy with the cycle for the past couple of months. Dr. told me I had a yeast infection about 2 months ago and things are SLOWLY clearing up. I have  been taking acidophilus (a vitamin that helps your digestive system) to clear out anything that may be causing it and it is starting to kick in. I have that gummy CM today and it's been about 6 days since my period. It's nice to know that others are having issues and we can talk openly about them here. Some of my family is so quick to tell me that NFP is too much work and to just get on the pill. It's nice to have some support on here.

Thank you all for your wisdom and trust in the Lord with NFP :)
    December '11 Brides September Siggy Challenge- THE SHOES
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cycle was crazy last month. 8 days shorter than normal and I still have no idea if I even ovulated or not. It's hard to tell.

If you just went off the pill and this is your second cycle, it's not atypical for your cycles to be out of wack. I was on the pill for 10 yrs, and it took me 4 cycles to finally have a definite pattern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards