May 2011 Weddings

S/O Morning Thread

I notice that a lot of you are upset with NBC's coverage of the Olympics.  I don't have much of an opinion, but I am reading the results earlier in the day.

What follows are just some questions.  It's not a poll :-)

How can NBC make their coverage better?

How should results be handled in this day of technology when everything as at the tip of our fingertips? 

Do you think results should be blocked in certain countries until coverage to keep the magic alive (this happened with the Queen's entrance and the cauldron lighting at the Opening Ceremonies, by the way) or should everything be made available for streaming on their NBC's website?  Should there still be primetime coverage?  How can a TV schedule, which is inherently behind, keep up? 

Again, not a poll... just some things that are knocking around in my head.  I don't know what the answer is!

Re: S/O Morning Thread

• So yes, much of my discontent was with how they handled last night.  Also, did you watch the Men's 400 meter relay? One of the reporters asked Ryan Lochte something along the lines of how he felt or something and dude, we all know he blew it and/or the other dude was just faster.  Don't put him on the spot, he probably feels like garbage. I agree w/whoever said in the other thread about how they could do better at explaining rules about sports that are not normally on--like water polo.

Gosh, I wish they could delay results. I'm sure I'll find out about men's gymnastics tonight before I get to watch it :( Sure, I can DVR and not look at any news/facebook/twitter/etc. but really?  I appreciate the primetime coverage because clearly, if USA women's gymnastics coverage was on in the morning yesterday I would have missed it.

I do think they should stream everything too, since not everyone has the gazzilion channels (see below).

I will put my love out there for DirectTV. They have a special Olympic coverage menu where you can search what's on by sport. AND they have special channels for just soccer and just basketball!

I also think NBC has politicized the coverage quite a bit. There were comments about how Greece had notably fewer athletes, which "was indication of the global recession," and there were some other comments about Muslim countries, etc.

Oh, so what's the deal w/the sand volleyball players not wearing bikinis? Someone told me they were banned, but then the GB team had them on? My H was like, if women can't wear the bikinis, then the men's water polo players shouldn't wear those speedos lol!
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments
    How can NBC make their coverage better? I gave some examples in the morning post but I just feel like explaining of the sports is missing. I was watching equestrian and they are riding the horse around the rink. It took me 4 horses to realize they were doing different trots. Table tennis I had no idea it went to 11 points that would have been handy information or how the serve works. In the winter games they explain the strategise and rules better I felt. Like I know some of the rules of curling thanks to the Olympics.

How should results be handled in this day of technology when everything as at the tip of our fingertips?  I don't care how it is done. I don't look stuff up during the day because I want to watch it later. It is live to me. If someone wants to know ahead time than they will find out.

Do you think results should be blocked in certain countries until coverage to keep the magic alive (this happened with the Queen's entrance and the cauldron lighting at the Opening Ceremonies, by the way) or should everything be made available for streaming on their NBC's website? See above  Should there still be primetime coverage? Yes because I like watching when I get home.  How can a TV schedule, which is inherently behind, keep up?   I wish it didn't run to midnight on the east coast. It is really too late for me to stay up and watch. Maybe I am old school but I don't have a need to know now. I can wait till later in the evening to find out.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • 1) I wish they would talk about ALL the athletes not the token few.  I am talking about the other athletes in the same race. Lochte and Phelps aren't the only good mens swimmers in those races but there was a race that I only realized there was another American in the pool when they put the flags up on the lanes just before the start. Thats not cool.

Add signals to the screen so you know what you are watching. ie was degrea was talking about the 200mFly DURING the race.  In the long races tell us where the leaders are along the course. 

Have class when it comes to interviewing of the athletes. Oh and I just can't believe they decided to cut the tribute to the lives lost in the London terrorist attack for an interview with Phelps.  That makes us look embarrassingly cocky. And their response to that ridicule didn't help the matter.

Oh and the tape delaying is a little ridiculous. I get it but they have taken it too far.

2 I think that is the day and age we live in.  All I wish was that they wouldn't put it in the titles.  Title things like 'olympic swimming results' or 'surprises in womens gymnastics'that way those that want to know can read it thoses that want to watch it can watch it first.

3 Over all I think they do the best that can with the actual volume of coverage and what they cover. I just was looking at the wiki there is going to be over 5500hrs of coverage this olympics that is impressive.  They cant keep up with all that is going on.  Again I do wish they wouldn't tape delay so much of it but I get it.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments

Ammiers: I heard it was too cold in London to wear them. Which I can believe.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread:
    1) I wish they would talk about ALL the athletes not the token few.  I am talking about the other athletes in the same race. Lochte and Phelps aren't the only good mens swimmers in those races but there was a race that I only realized there was another American in the pool when they put the flags up on the lanes just before the start. Thats not cool.  Add signals to the screen so you know what you are watching. ie was degrea was talking about the 200mFly DURING the race.  In the long races tell us where the leaders are along the course.  Have class when it comes to interviewing of the athletes. Oh and I just can't believe they decided to cut the tribute to the lives lost in the London terrorist attack for an interview with Phelps.  That makes us look embarrassingly cocky. And their response to that ridicule didn't help the matter. Oh and the tape delaying is a little ridiculous. I get it but they have taken it too far. 2 I think that is the day and age we live in.  All I wish was that they wouldn't put it in the titles.  Title things like 'olympic swimming results' or 'surprises in womens gymnastics'that way those that want to know can read it thoses that want to watch it can watch it first. 3 Over all I think they do the best that can with the actual volume of coverage and what they cover. I just was looking at the wiki there is going to be over 5500hrs of coverage this olympics that is impressive.  They cant keep up with all that is going on.  Again I do wish they wouldn't tape delay so much of it but I get it.  
    Posted by aggiebug
    Totally agree! One of the other guys in the relay, Cullen something? was so good! He flew off the block when he dove in for his leg!
    I also think NBC has politicized the coverage quite a bit. There were comments about how Greece had notably fewer athletes, which "was indication of the global recession," and there were some other comments about Muslim countries, etc

. Oh, so what's the deal w/the sand volleyball players not wearing bikinis? Someone told me they were banned, but then the GB team had them on? My H was like, if women can't wear the bikinis, then the men's water polo players shouldn't wear those speedos lol!
    Posted by aimers1525
    OH THE POLITICS! How did I forget that? STOP INFUSING POLITICS INTO EVERYTHING

and bikinis aren't banned. This is the first olympics where bikinins aren't required presumably because it is much colder in London than typical in the summer olympics.  That is why so many teams look weird with shirts on under bikinis. They were planning on wearing the bikinis but they realized they were too cold :)   I presume the Brits are used to it
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread:
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : Totally agree! One of the other guys in the relay, Cullen something? was so good! He flew off the block when he dove in for his leg!
    Posted by aimers1525
    Ditto Aggie. Also I felt like they made such a big deal out of the fact that Phelps didn't medal in the 400 IM that they took something away from Ryan Lockete (sorry for awful spelling of names). Who cares that he lost, he said he didn't train like he should have and lost. The other guy won!!

While I was watching I kept saying to myself CBS use to be the worst channel to watch sports on but no longer. NBC takes the cake.
  • Interesting points.

I have a very random aside: I dislike beach volleyball and am glad that they aren't prancing around in their bikinis.  Let's be real - it's popular only because it's skinny girls in revealing outfits.  Let's call a spade a spade here. 
  • They should just stream it all online, that way us poor soles without cable can still watch.  :( 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Interesting points. I have a very random aside: I dislike beach volleyball and am glad that they aren't prancing around in their bikinis.  Let's be real - it's popular only because it's skinny girls in revealing outfits.  Let's call a spade a spade here. 
    Posted by Joy2611

haha I totally agree that its bikini wearing is a big draw, but I just really love watching it.  I find it much more entertaining that indoor volleyball (which I like) and I couldn't care less what they wear.  I actually find it rediculous that there was a bikini requirement. 
    Fred Rogers
  • Okay, jlq... I'm confused by this statement that you've made several times.  What do you want to watch that is only on cable?  You can certainly see the big things (as determined by NBC) on a non-cable station so what are you into?  I love when people like different sports!
    They should just stream it all online, that way us poor soles without cable can still watch.  :( 
    Posted by jlq2005
    I imagine that is in the contract with cable/ dish providers that they WON'T stream it.  
    Fred Rogers
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : haha I totally agree that its bikini wearing is a big draw, but I just really love watching it.  I find it much more entertaining that indoor volleyball (which I like) and I couldn't care less what they wear.  I actually find it rediculous that there was a bikini requirement. 
    Posted by aggiebug
    Ha!  A bikini requirement is crazy.

This just wasn't a popular sport until people realized "Ooooh... it's girls in bikinis?  YES.  PUT IT ON."  I guess I find that ...sad.  I agree that it's far more exciting than regular volleyball, but it wouldn't have the following it does if it wasn't for the outfits.

Where is NCV?  I wish she'd come share some behind the scenes Olympic knowledge with us.  Temps, weird people, can she even get on the Tube most days?

My husband knows some people who live in London and they were removed from their apartment for the duration of the Olympics.  Landlords were telling them to pack up to get higher prices from Olympian-related guests.  How weird!  Is some random Russian or Canadian sleeping in their beds and using their plates???
    Okay, jlq... I'm confused by this statement that you've made several times.  What do you want to watch that is only on cable?  You can certainly see the big things (as determined by NBC) on a non-cable station so what are you into?  I love when people like different sports!
    Posted by Joy2611
    We don't have television at all. As in, we have no provider. And my tv is so old that when they switched everything over to digital broadcast, I can't even get the basic channels you used to be able to get without paying for them. So even if I were to hook up my tv to the cable hookups, nothing shows up. Soo I can't see anything. 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : I imagine that is in the contract with cable/ dish providers that they WON'T stream it.  
    Posted by aggiebug
    Yes. On the NBC Olypmics website, you can stream it, if you have a cable ID to enter from certain cable companies.  Stupid. 
    my read shelf:
  • ooooh.. that's unfortunate.  Me and my bunny ears were good friends when I lived in Boston and early days in Philly but had no money for cable.  I was watching hi-def ABC long before anyone with cable was!

• On Saturday, we were watching the Olympics and H was on Facebook, well I was too, but I didn't see it first. We're both fans of our local NBC news station and up on the newsfeed comes BREAKING NEWS followed by a picture of Ryan Lochte then it talks about him beating Phelps in that 400 or whatever. No spoiler alert, just that. Then, not long after that, a ticker goes across the bottom of the screen with BREAKING NEWS followed by what was just posted on FB. Um, hello! We're watching the Olympics! Clearly we're interested and will be watching it later on during prime time, so thanks for ruining that for us.

There was a gigantic uproar over all this and people were writing on their wall complaining and commenting on the picture (I was one of them) about how we would have loved a spoiler alert. Someone commented that they called the station and were told it was a "management decision" to do that.

I can understand the social media and news websites and all that posting stuff. At least Yahoo gives you the option to click on the link to find out who won. Others are not so subtle. And I know not to go roaming the internet so I can stay away from results if I don't want to see them and I would hope other people would realize the same thing and not complain about seeing something on a news website that covers...news. But the ticker at the bottom of the screen was just low. They later issue a not-so-apology and said they would continue with what they were doing, but not put the ticker on the screen.

It's hard now with technology being what it is to stay away from results. I would love it if results could be blocked, but that would never happen. Not when it's a spectator sport especially. Everyone there would have to sign a confidentiality agreement so they don't spoil it for everyone else. In a perfect world, but it'll never happen.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : haha I totally agree that its bikini wearing is a big draw, but I just really love watching it.  I find it much more entertaining that indoor volleyball (which I like) and I couldn't care less what they wear.  I actually find it rediculous that there was a bikini requirement. 
    Posted by aggiebug
    Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I do really like the beach volleyball because it's a lot of action.
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : Ha!  A bikini requirement is crazy. This just wasn't a popular sport until people realized "Ooooh... it's girls in bikinis?  YES.  PUT IT ON."  I guess I find that ...sad.  I agree that it's far more exciting than regular volleyball, but it wouldn't have the following it does if it wasn't for the outfits. Where is NCV?  I wish she'd come share some behind the scenes Olympic knowledge with us.  Temps, weird people, can she even get on the Tube most days? My husband knows some people who live in London and they were removed from their apartment for the duration of the Olympics.  Landlords were telling them to pack up to get higher prices from Olympian-related guests.  How weird!  Is some random Russian or Canadian sleeping in their beds and using their plates???
    Posted by Joy2611
    Ditto this! I heard that Londoners were pissed because they've been told events are sold out, yet on tv you see tons of open seats!
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread:
    I would love it if results could be blocked, but that would never happen. Not when it's a spectator sport especially. Everyone there would have to sign a confidentiality agreement so they don't spoil it for everyone else. In a perfect world, but it'll never happen.
    Posted by kris2131
    I don't know what they did for the Opening Ceremonies, but finding the video for the Queen's entrance was hard and I couldn't find any cauldron lighting video before NBC showed it in the US.  It was very strange.  Many news outlets had their videos blocked for US IP addresses and I couldn't find one video on YouTube.  Perhaps those with advanced internet skillz could find it, but the regular shmoe (me!) could not.

I found one (ONE!) video of the Queen's entrance about an hour before NBC aired it, but it was removed very quickly.  Every site I went to even the following day said "Blocked due to Olympic Regulations."  It was crazy.

Results can be conveyed in a few words, but at least the video of things was kept highly under wraps.  It was really interesting.  And weird.

EDIT: I get a nagging feeling of censorship with it, honestly.  Why after the fact are the videos still blocked on regular sites?  And, yes, NBC has the rights, but YouTube was devoid of even homemade videos from the Opening Ceremonies until after NBC aired it.  Something doesn't sit right with me about the whole thing.
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : Ditto this! I heard that Londoners were pissed because they've been told events are sold out, yet on tv you see tons of open seats!
    Posted by aimers1525
    This happens with any sporting event. .. People buy tickets, then just don't show up. 
    my read shelf:
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : This happens with any sporting event. .. People buy tickets, then just don't show up. 
    Posted by jlq2005
    I guess, but this is the OLYMPICS! :)
  • Just FYI The jumps for the Equestrian cross country are amazing!  Some of the best I think.

beautiful :)
    Fred Rogers
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : Ditto this! I heard that Londoners were pissed because they've been told events are sold out, yet on tv you see tons of open seats!
    Posted by aimers1525
    H read that London sold a bunch of seats to corporate sponsors, which led to the inability to get seats and then you see a bunch of empty seats during events.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : We don't have television at all. As in, we have no provider. And my tv is so old that when they switched everything over to digital broadcast, I can't even get the basic channels you used to be able to get without paying for them. So even if I were to hook up my tv to the cable hookups, nothing shows up. Soo I can't see anything. 
    Posted by jlq2005
    jlq - are people not able to buy the converters anymore?  I have an old tv but we purchased one of the converters at best buy for like $25 and can use it.  Yeah the $25 sucks but it's better than buying a new TV!
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : jlq - are people not able to buy the converters anymore?  I have an old tv but we purchased one of the converters at best buy for like $25 and can use it.  Yeah the $25 sucks but it's better than buying a new TV!
    Posted by LaBellaVita23
    I don't know. I told DH to look into it, because I'm not tech savy, and he never did. He is under the impression that we're buying a new tv, when we're not. 
    my read shelf:
    In Response to Re: S/O Morning Thread : Ha!  A bikini requirement is crazy. This just wasn't a popular sport until people realized "Ooooh... it's girls in bikinis?  YES.  PUT IT ON."  I guess I find that ...sad.  I agree that it's far more exciting than regular volleyball, but it wouldn't have the following it does if it wasn't for the outfits. 
    Posted by Joy2611
    as a vballer on the court and in the sand the bakinis are so much easier to play in. Sand gets everywhere and with the sweat it gets redic.

Also usually it is outside in the hot sun so why would you want to have on a tshirt or tank top with shorts that is sandy and rubbing all over? less is definitely more when you are rolling around in sand.

I also think popularity depends on where you are at in the states. East Coast doesnt follow volleyball all that much but on the West Coast it is a really big thing. 

just my $.02
  • PS i just finished watching the USA v Brazil court vball and it was fantastic! Streamed it from Comcast without having to use a code!
  • Do you guys know that NBC edited out a 7/7 terrorist attack tribute?  This really makes me angry!  What would be said if the Brits did the same of a 9/11 tribute?  Esp for ANOTHER Phelps interview give me a break.  

Re: bikinis, It's way cold here.  I work boots, a long sleeve shirt, jeans, and a jacket to the football tonight, I was cold.  

As for blocking things, isp addresses etc, it happens all the time.  I can't get TV from the US, I am not able to get informtion, etc since I live here.  YOU are not used to it since you are in the major country.  I am laughing because you are used to being in the know and now it's me.  HAHAHAHA.

As for people in London it's empty to a degree.  People are complaining they are not making enough money.  Restaurants are losing money, tourist buses are empty, hotels are at a discount.  I'm wondering if I can get discount theatre tickets.  

Tubes have been okay for the most part.  I could walk to my first 2 days of events, I took the tube today, it was fine.  One packed train after the football match for one stop.  

Pre English Reception Pictures at H's High School
    Bio
  • yes NCV I did know the cut that out and I have read NBC's response. It is one of the major reason I am ticked at them. They make us look like cocky and arrogant people and I am truly embarrassed by their actions. No one I know who knows they did that is pleased with NBC.
    Fred Rogers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards