Honeymoon Discussions

Where should we go?

My fiancé and I really can't decide where to go on our honeymoon. Our budget is around $3k. Below is a list of features we would like: -Warm climate in late May -English speaking (neither of us know enough of any other languages) -A beach -Shopping -Privacy! We would really like our own little house/cabin/cabana -Spa -No cruises (we both get motion sick) Can anyone give us some good idea of where to go? Anyone been on a great honeymoon they'd like to share? Many thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Re: Where should we go?

• We just came back from our honeymoon in Maui, but that is a bit out of the budget. We were tight on our spending when we were there, but it was so worth it. For you on the 3k budget I would recommend the St. Maartin. I loved it there when I went on vacation. OR Provicianles in Turks and Caicos. Both places have amazing beaches. They are both very serene and relaxing. T&C - I was there maybe 5 years ago and it was very much a honeymooners island when I was at club med with my girls :) I thought it was a nice place to go back to once I was married.  This is a great place for snorkeling and diving... a relaxing vacation. It has more of a hang out with the locals feel to it. St. Maartin has a lot to do, shops (touristy as well as fine jewerly), restaurants, shows, etc. You won't get bored there. I suppose it depends on what you like as a couple. Whatever you choose, enjoy!
  • With your budget I'd suggest the Canadian east coast (New Brunswick or Nova Scotia). The weather is pretty nice by late may. There are lots of cute B&B's right on the ocean and there's plenty of shopping, dining, entertainment, etc...and it's English (and French) speaking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd suggest Cancun, Mexico.  It's safe to leave the resort to go shopping, clubbing or sight seeing.  The weather is great, the beach is great.  Obviously their first language is Spanish, but everyone speaks English.  We went to the Sun Palace and it was awesome.  It's an AI.  They have a great spa.  They don't have private cabanas as far as I saw, but I don't really see the necessity for that.  Once you're in your hotel room, it's private.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-we-go?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:15b10abe-6b74-4bfc-b36d-eb6c75fc6184Post:541ee74b-ff37-467c-b1bb-84b26bead1c3">Re: Where should we go?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd suggest Cancun, Mexico.  It's safe to leave the resort to go shopping, clubbing or sight seeing.  The weather is great, the beach is great.  Obviously their first language is Spanish, but everyone speaks English.  We went to the Sun Palace and it was awesome.  It's an AI.  They have a great spa.  They don't have private cabanas as far as I saw, but I don't really see the necessity for that.  Once you're in your hotel room, it's private.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<div>We stayed at the Palace Resort on Isla Mujeres, which is just a ferry ride away from Cancun. Our entire 7 day honeymoon cost 3100 when it was all said and done (flights, tips, souveniers). It is a pretty quiet island, worlds away from the party scene of Mexico.</div>
  • We went to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico (an hour south of Cancun, not even close to party central!) and we loved it. I think the only spanish we ever spoke was "Gracias" to say thank you. Everyone we encountered spoke English and we were all over the place and went off of the tourist track.

The reason I am suggesting Mexico again is because with your budget I think you  have higher expectations then what are realistic. I don't think you would be able to find a resort or anything under 3k that would have your requirement of "Privacy! We would really like our own little house/cabin/cabana". I am not sure why you are looking for something super private but this is a pretty deluxe accomodation and your price point would have to match that. Mexico is extremely affordable and with your budget you would have room to do many excursions and buy lots of souveneirs if you wanted too. The beaches are gorgeous and really it is not extremely busy like you would expect.

• on most islands/countries in the caribbean english is widely spoken.

a private house/cabin/cabana will probably be more than your budget. i think your budget is not realistic for that type of accomodation.

since you'll be traveling next may you can price places out online.

• edited March 2013
    I like the Nova Scotia idea. Do you think late Sept would be a good time to go? I've found a few great places on homeaway but I'm just not sure about that site. I'm always afraid its a scam or something. It is beautiful there. I hadn't even considered that as an option but it is gorgeous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards