June 2014 Weddings

How far would you drive?

As a guest, how far are you willing to drive to a wedding? I keep finding gorgeous venues over an hour away from my hometown (where most of our friends and family live). But I know people don't want to have to drive for too long and spend money on gas. Would an hour and a half away be too much to ask? I have been to very few weddings so I have no idea.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
*Marrying my best friend*

Re: How far would you drive?

• I think it depends on who the wedding is for and what FI's and my schedules are, what our finances are, etc. My cousin recently got married 3 hours away and I drove up with my stepmom. Some family didn't go and she was talking about how a niece/nephew's wedding is one of those things you just have to go to.

Would the timing of the wedding be such that people would have to spend the night? That could impact it. I would recommend talking to your parents about this. They will probably be most likely to know how much family is going to be willing to travel that distance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It all depends how close someone is to you and their love for you, Honestly.

I have gone to weddings with 1-3 hours drive, other states from NY to FL, and even P.R. These are Family and Close Friends and I would make a way to see them. Those how want to be with you WILL be with you.

If you have elderly people who cant really make it, other families should step up to help. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2014-weddings_how-far-would-you-drive?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd3555f8-fb3d-4290-b1fe-9de3e9d420b1Discussion:adfa0abc-c572-45c4-9af0-d75dfc9cac26Post:4916ab89-d657-4243-a087-9e74ee5764c1">Re: How far would you drive?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It all depends how close someone is to you and their love for you, Honestly.  I have gone to weddings with 1-3 hours drive, other states from NY to FL, and even P.R. These are Family and Close Friends and I would make a way to see them. Those how want to be with you WILL be with you. If you have elderly people who cant really make it, other families should step up to help. 
    Posted by jcvwedplan[/QUOTE]

2 hours tops. My landlord drove 6 hours for her son's wedding yes I know it is her son's.

• We're looking for a place around halfway for our guests. MY fiancee and I live maybe a hour away from each other, so we're looking for somewhere that is withing driving range, but not so far that it's not funny for anyone, since we have people coming out of state. 
  • Okay, we looked at a venue just a little over an hour away that we really love. The drive wasn't bad at all. And they have a hotel rooms on site for out of town guests, which is great because we will have family coming from California, Canada, and even Japan. The thing is, my date is on hold for someone else and if they decide they want to book it, then my date will change to May 31 instead of June. Not a big deal though
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    *Marrying my best friend*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards