September 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: This annoys the crap out of me!

Outside my office is the IT department.  They sit at desks with no walls or anything in the middle of this big open room.  When I walk down the hallway from the bathroom or kitchen and turn the corner to get to my office there is this one guys desk literally RIGHT there.  So I just happen to naturally smile when I lock eyes with a stranger.  Call me crazy but I just find it a polite thing to do.  But, whenever I walk by (and I don't think it is just me I assume he does the same thing to everyone) he always looks at me and our eyes meet and I'll smile and he never smiles back.  Ever!  I have been here for 5 months and he's never looked at me with anything but a blank stare.  I've said hi in the lunch room, smiled, etc and he just looks at me.  If you aren't going to be polite and at least half-smile back, don't look at me!

Re: NWR: This annoys the crap out of me!

• Options
    Omg we have that problem here all the time! The funny part is that it is the supervisors and high-end office people who are the biggest offenders. If you see them in the hall they either stare straight ahead or stare at the ground so they do not have to say hi to you.

I never understood the staring thing either. Its like some people take time to process whats going on and can't decide how to respond. One of my bosses is like that when you have a conversation with him. You finish telling him an idea or something, and he just stares at you. I always end up saying "So.............. yeah." lol. Awkward.
  • Options
    lol it's a little funny because I'll say hi to everyone. My big thing was when I moved to Europe it was 3 months before someone smiled back or said thank you when I held the door open. I was about to explode. Looks like some of us would say hi and some of us are a little more socially akward lol.
  • Options
    CiardasullyCiardasully member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    There is a woman at my work like that. She looks so miserable all the time. Once I was tempted to ask her if her life was so bad that she had to look miserable all the time but decided against itbecause maybe her life really is that bad.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_nwr-this-annoys-the-crap-out-of-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:dca550f1-5d4a-406b-9e48-e3e730ae5cd6Post:3df9fdfb-91e1-469f-961b-c085dc8a9377">Re: NWR: This annoys the crap out of me!</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol it's a little funny because I'll say hi to everyone. My big thing was when I moved to Europe it was 3 months before someone smiled back or said thank you when I held the door open. I was about to explode. Looks like some of us would say hi and some of us are a little more socially akward lol.
    Posted by futuregabriel[/QUOTE]

One of my coworkers is from the Ukraine and she said over there, if someone walks into the room you are in, you do not have to acknowledge them until they specifically walk up to you. You can be sitting there, the only person in the whole office, and if someone walks in you do not say a single thing or even look at him/her. She also hates it when people sign something in emails at the end with their name, like "Thanks" or "sincerely." She just puts her name at the end because she says there is no reason to talk them, and it doesn't need to be a sincere email.
  • Options
    BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I would actually find that kinda creepy hahaha just the fact he stares but doesn't smile :P
  • Options
    I worked with a girl once who wouldn't smile back or acknowledge you.  I thought she was just a rude person, but turns out she has asperger's (sp?) syndrome (which is a high level functioning form of autism.)  He could have something like that or just be socially awkward. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards