New Jersey

Be careful about vendor reviews

I was googling vendor reviews and came across this:
http://offbeatbride.com/2012/09/negative-vendor-reviews
Did not know writing a negative review about a vendor could result in a lawsuit against a bride. So much for freedom of speech I guess. Scary! Surprised

Re: Be careful about vendor reviews

• There are some good tips in this article.  I think the most important is that negative reviews, if written the right way, are helpful to other brides/grooms and not likely to result in a lawsuit.  As long as it is factual and objective - and not written in anger as the bride in the article admits she did - it's hard for a vendor to dispute documented facts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• agu101agu101 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    This almost happened to me.  One of my vendors was awful and I wanted others to know how terrible my experience was by posting it on Wedding Channel.  Because my vendor loves to Google herself, she came across the review and called my parents asking them to take it down.  Since these posts are annonymous, it was pretty interesting she was able to pick out who wrote the post.  Anyway, my parents have no idea what The Knot is and honestly had no idea what she was talking about.  This woman then reached out to the Knot/Wedding Channel asking them to take it down, but they said it wasn't fair to the bride who wanted to share their opinion, good or bad.  They did, however, make me do some editing to make my post less "defamatory".  I happily did it since it meant my post could stay up.  She then responded to my post, which makes her look even worse.  Fortunately I haven't heard anything from her, so I hope that means she's gotten over it.  I also wasn't the only one who posted a negative review and also saw the others had to get edited as well.  I just couldn't believe this woman had nothing better to do with her time than to bully her former clients.  That does her reputation and PR no good and I tell everyone by word of mouth who I meet to stay away from this woman.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_be-careful-about-vendor-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:e549de8f-4609-40a5-80bb-df1f938e8648Post:237d7f13-2fb7-4094-8c71-a79bb2edfd34">Re: Be careful about vendor reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are some good tips in this article.  I think the most important is that negative reviews, if written the right way, are helpful to other brides/grooms and not likely to result in a lawsuit.  As long as it is factual and objective - and not written in anger as the bride in the article admits she did - it's hard for a vendor to dispute documented facts.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

I think that's an excellent point. As hard as it is, you can't let emotion get in the way. Stick with the documented facts of how the contract was violated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards