Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Brownie cake?

FI has weird issues with normal cake. He hates frosting with a passion, and said that he really wants to have a brownie cake. I am fine with this, but my friends were mortified when I told them. Has anyone considered a brownie wedding cake?
Anniversary

Re: Brownie cake?

• Options
    make it the groomsmen cake! have it at the rehearsal dinner or have it alongside the cake at the reception.
  • Options

It's your wedding day and the cake should reflect what you and your fiance like. If you're really worried about what people will think though you should definitely do it as a groom's cake like the previous girl said. Your fiance doesn't have to eat the wedding cake if he doesn't want to (aside from when you cut it).

I'm married!
  • Options
    My husband doesn't like cake so we had cheesecake instead of a traditional wedding cake.  People seemed to love it, it was all gone by the end of the night. Pics in married bio.

I don't know about a brownie cake, I'm not sure how that works, but you could have brownies and cake or just brownies for dessert.  Do what you guys love, most people like brownies.

One thing about wedding planning to learn right away is that people will always have opinions about what you're planning.  You don't have to listen to them all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I have seen it before and it was beautiful!  If you have a quality baker who knows what they are doing, it can be done.

ETA: I just google imaged "Brownie Wedding Cake" and there are a ton of pics
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    all i have to say is YUMM! haha, sounds like a great idea. You definately dont want to be feeding your FI something that he can't stand eating. I dont see anything wrong with a brownie cake. Some of the options above were great too, cheesecake, cookie cake. Whatever you want, make it your own.
  • Options
    We're doing a cake buffet. FI doesn't care much for cake but loves brownies like a girl on PMS. We're going to have a smaller traditional wedding cake and then several others including brownies and cheesecake.
  • Options

the cake buffett sounds great! :) do what you and your FI love :)

• Options
    It sounds good to me.  I think people expect traditional wedding things at weddings like a standard cake but that doesn't mean going out of the box is bad.  I think it would be an innovative new idea and I bet when it comes time to cut the brownie (or pass them out) some of those guests aren't going to mind so much anymore!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_brownie-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e1e670f3-17fa-4f54-8bf1-186298a28a10Post:c086cbf1-5d40-4fb9-9cbb-69f2680484db">Re: Brownie cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We're doing a cake buffet. FI doesn't care much for cake but loves brownies like a girl on PMS. </strong>We're going to have a smaller traditional wedding cake and then several others including brownies and cheesecake.
    Posted by kmjarvey[/QUOTE]
    That actually made me giggle.

If you look under google images they have some pretty neat brownie cakes, however if it were up to me I'd also serve a real cake. Another alternative i've seen is a rice krispie cake!
  • Options

I think you are fine to do a brownie cake.  Like a PP said, you have to accept early on in your wedding planning  whether you are going to do what makes you happy for your wedding, or plan your wedding to please everyone else.  We are trying to plan ours so that everyone likes it, but when it comes down to it, its OUR wedding and should reflect us.  We are doing a funfetti cake because it is still my favorite cake since I was a little girl and FI loves it too.  At first my mom was really upset about it because she said it will look ridiculous, and wanted us to do only one layer of that, then she realized it is just a white cake with sprinkles in it and tastes the same so she is fine with it.  I'm sure we will have some people who will be appalled when they see it, but we love the idea, and so do the few people we've told. 
    The only thing that would scare me with a brownie cake is just be very careful when you do your cake cutting. since chocolate frosting or even just brownie can leave quite a mark on a white dress!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A brownie cake sounds awesome!! You could set it up the same way bakers do the cupcake cakes.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options

I am not a big cake fan either- I am doing a traditional cake but I am also having a "dessert buffet" with cookies, brownies, mini canolis, etc.  I don't plan on eating an actual piece of the cake- I will be going for the brownies !!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My FI doesn't like cake, so I'm planning on having a cookie cake (his fave) in addition to our wedding cake.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Martha Stewart has one that is really pretty and no frosting!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    crzy919crzy919 member
    First Comment
    My fiance doesn't like normal cake either, so we are doing ice cream cake as an option.  I think a brownie cake is a good idea.  Maybe have both options if you can.
  • Options
    ejoyce8ejoyce8 member
    First Comment
    ditto on FI not liking cake. We are going to do a dessert bar with mini cupcakes, brownies and cookies and FI for is having mini keylime tarts as his grooms "pie".  I think the browine cake will be a gerat idea, if you are affraid that some people dont like brownies, just have an alternative dessert to pick from.

good luck!
    Anniversary bethandanthony.weebly.com
  • Options
    alli52ualli52u member
    First Comment
    We have considered it for the exact same reason! No final decisions have been made but were considering doing a traditional cake and then a  grooms cake made of brownie.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That sounds exactly like my FI; except I wanted a wedding cake so he relented. His opinion on cake was, "I would rather just have brownies, so pick whatever cake you like." I decided to get a grooms "brownie"/cake to surprise him on the wedding day. :)

Just a heads up that a brownie cake might be a little more expensive per slice than a regular cake; at least my baker charged about $1 more per slice.

Enjoy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards