Registry and Gift Forum

Opening Gifts in Front of People

What's your opinion on opening gifts in front of guests and family?
I have heard two outlooks on it....

In one sense people want to see your reaction to their gift and how you like it, but other people have said they would rather it be a more private thing.

What are you planning on doing?

I know some of our family/friends would like to see us open our gifts. I am sort of impartial - and understand both sides. My FI doesn't want to though. I set up a private dining room in the restaurant of the hotel - free of charge - where all of the guests that are staying in the hotel (and other people too for a charge) can all eat their breakfast with us. I am thinking we could open gifts there if we want (for all the gifts or just the people that come to breakfast).....

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Re: Opening Gifts in Front of People

• Most of my family gives cash at the wedding, so I think it would be a) boring and b) a little rude to sit there opening up envelopes with checks in them.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • You mean opening gifts at the weding? I think it's very tacky. If I were a guest I would probably leave immediately.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Not at the wedding! The morning after the wedding for breakfast/brunch.

• Yeah, I wouldn't do it at the the hotel.  The day after our wedding we opened gifts at my parents house.  It was just us and both sets of parents because they wanted to see what their friends got us.  But we did not tell them how much people wrote their checks for.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    No, I wouldn't do it in front of everyone--especially because of the monetary gifts.  The guests will hear from me how much I loved their gift in their thank you note!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Please don't do this.

As a guest, I'd find it to be in poor taste.  A guest gives a shower gift knowing it will be opened in front of others.  A wedding gift can be quite personal and is for the couple only.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_opening-gifts-front-of-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:355ed259-c67a-4969-b5d4-60423c7d3dd9Post:16a32b9a-fe87-43a3-9980-ae8745b7a13a">Re: Opening Gifts in Front of People</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please don't do this. As a guest, I'd find it to be in poor taste.  A guest gives a shower gift knowing it will be opened in front of others.  A wedding gift can be quite personal and is for the couple only.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have seen a ton of this, not in my immediate circle, but in general. Lots of people have morning after brunches and opening gifts are a part of this. I have seen this in areas where boxed gifts for the wedding are common and the gift opening in front of others is expected.

We are not doing this and especially as Brie said, I expect the majority will be cards/monetary gifts, so a gift-opening would not be fun for others.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • I have heard of this being done, not so much in my circle, we tend to give checks at the wedding, and that would be really boring to open.  I don't think it's tacky, but I personally wouldn't go just cause it would be awkward to watch, especially with a hangover :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, I find that rude.

A friend of mine attended a wedding where it was popular in the bride's culture to open gifts at the wedding. The tradition stemmed from when gifts like jewelry were given, so everyone could see who gave what. Well, they got mostly cash at their wedding, and announced to everyone there just how much each gift was for - it's so tacky, it still makes me cringe.
    imageimageimage
  • I would do physical gifts infront of family. Anything in an envelope would be opened in private.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Showers yes, weddings no. If you'd like, invite your parents over and just open gifts with them. Or you and your H can do it privately.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • The other reason why I wouldn't do this in front of people is because in some families, knowing the gift list is like finding hidden treasure - but it's treasure so you can compare.

There was no way that DH nor I would be a party to parental comparisons.
  • I agree with others who say it's in poor taste to open wedding gifts in front of your guests.  Not every guest brings a gift, or a gift that is wrapped up in a pretty bow.  Opening gifts in front of all your guests is some what like a slap in the face, sort of a "Look what <Insert Friend/Family's Name Here> got us for our wedding; I'm going to try and make you feel bad by showing you this since you didn't bring us stuff".

The gifts are a private thing, not a publis thing.  Opening them with just your new spouse, and maybe your parents (or someone to help you keep an accurate list of who gave what for thank you cards) is what most people expect.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This is one of the reasons I really am not disappointed to not have a shower. I didn't even like opening presents at my birthday parties when I was little.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'd rather do it with FI on our own. But if our parents want to come over while we open, I'm fine with that, I just don't want a huge gathering. 
    Crosswalk
  • We are leaving for the honeymoon the next morning, so we'll be opening the gifts 2 weeks after the wedding (alone).
  • For my first wedding we came back from the honeymoon 2 days early (planned it that way) and didn't tell anyone we were back in town, so we could have some private time @ home. 

We spent a relaxing day opening gifts & writing thank you notes as we did.  Your new hubby will feel included, your hand won't be cramped and, you'll have your thank you notes done before you get your dress back from the cleaners!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards