Getting in Shape
Options

I think I hit a plateau.. help/advice!

Hi all, since february 24th, I have lost 11.7 lbs. I still have another 23 lbs to go, and my weddings 5 months away. I lost the first 9.5 lbs in the first 5 weeks, the last 4 weeks i've only lost 2.7 lbs..i've been calorie counting and exercising.

some adivce i've heard is changing exercises, doing exercises more, possibly going back up to my normal caloric intake??
In the confusion we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word -Walt Whitman

Rachel & Jared est. November 11, 2006

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker My Weight Ticker

Re: I think I hit a plateau.. help/advice!

• Options
    Different exercise is good.  Eating different foods is good.  If you always have fruit and oatmeal for breakfast, have some eggs instead.  If you always have a sandwich and salad for lunch, have a burger. 

But even if those things don't work, just keep trucking along.  Plateaus are totally normal (albeit frustrating!), and do keep in mind that most people lose a considerable amount more in the first few weeks for many reasons. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options

We have the same wedding date I noticed!  October 8th right? 

Do you eat the same thing every day?  Do you eat the same calorie intake everyday?  I would say to help you get over your plateau is change up your exercise a bit, use a different machine work out a little bit longer, change the resistance or speed.  Also changing up your caloric intake and the kinds of food, your body may have gotten use to the amount of burn and caloric intake thus slowing down your metabolism. 

Good luck

"Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • Options
    Try OxyElitePro. It helps curb your apetite plus boost your workout.
    I wanted to lose weight, so my Marine husband is kicking my ass bootcamp style! He makes me change up the workout every day. Like don't do 30lbs every day, do 1 rep of 50, one of 20, then one of 30. The way guys workout is much better than what girls would do. I didn't think it would make a difference (if I was working out I was burning calories right?!). But I've noticed a difference when I'm trying to keep up with him (ok so maybe a few pounds lighter than he does!), than when I was just doing 3 reps of 15 on 30lb weights the whole time.
  • Options
    Hi--I successfully lost about 40 pounds following my own plan (I wrote a book about it called "Lose Weight, Gain Money" on Amazon but I recently blew up a bit from taking birth control pills so I needed a quick way to jump start weight loss. I am not usually a believer in cleanses, but I just did David Kirsch's 48 Hour Super Charged Cleanse and got a great result--lost 6 pounds in two days and feel amazing. It's similar to the Master Cleanse but with appetite suppressants to make life easier. I will definitely be doing it again--even cheating (first day I ate a can of tuna and some gazpacho, second day, a bit of greek yogurt, a brown rice cake and some celery) I still lost six pounds. My body was telling me I medically needed to purge over a year of this toxic birth control pill out of my fatty tissues and retained water, and now I'm back on a sensible, low-carb eating plan. But I was only eating 1300 calories a day and working out an hour a day for MONTHS before doing this cleanse and could not lose a pound on that horrible pill Loestrin/Microgestin--Yasmin and Yas had never made me gain weight, but made me lose hair and my sanity, so I had switched to Loestrin, which was great except it made me gain weight like a trucker. As one woman with a similar experience had put it, "I never gained weight so effortlessly". Good luck! And carbs/eating late could be hurting your progress.
  • Options
    Hi there,

I'm just getting over a very nasty plateau myself.  The best advice I have is to keep your workout varied.  try something fun instead of the treadmill (or whatever you normally do).  Pick up a bellydance tape, go for a walk in the park, try doing yoga. 

Plateaus are normal because in order to build muscle (and burn fat) your body has to break it all down first.  it's painful mentally because you feel like you've been wasting your time; and it's the mental blocks which hurt progress the most. 

I'll throw some numbers out there.  28 Jan i was 203lbs (I'm 5'3") and started going to my gym again.  1 March I was 189 which felt great.  1 April 1 was 180 which felt disheartening because of all the work i'd been doing and I lost (relatively) less.  Right now, at the end of April, I'm at 178.  Essentially, this month, I've only lost 2 lbs but havent' stopped the exercise/healthy eating. 

It's a process we all hit, and you have to stick with it because the outcome will make you healthier and (probably) more confident. 

Your muscles only build when they're challenged - and a boring workout routine makes it even harder to hit the treadmill. 

Also, this is my biggest hurdle, I'm always preoccupied with everything else I could be doing rather than spending time at the gym.  See if your boy can help with housework/cooking (or roommates if you live with them) to help lower your list of things to do.

Best of luck, and you're not alone.

- J
    "What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined...to strengthen each other... to be one with each other in silent, unspeakable memories." -George Eliot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_think-hit-plateau-helpadvice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4366f9ae-1ddb-40f1-9842-87b7f977e36fPost:fcdf14ee-d4b2-4dd2-80b2-ca043d1f96f9">Re: I think I hit a plateau.. help/advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try OxyElitePro. It helps curb your apetite plus boost your workout. I wanted to lose weight, so my Marine husband is kicking my ass bootcamp style! He makes me change up the workout every day. Like don't do 30lbs every day, do 1 rep of 50, one of 20, then one of 30. The way guys workout is much better than what girls would do. I didn't think it would make a difference (if I was working out I was burning calories right?!). But I've noticed a difference when I'm trying to keep up with him (ok so maybe a few pounds lighter than he does!), than when I was just doing 3 reps of 15 on 30lb weights the whole time.
    Posted by iluvmy0341[/QUOTE]

Don't take stupid diet pills.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options

thanks everyone!

In the confusion we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word -Walt Whitman

Rachel & Jared est. November 11, 2006

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker My Weight Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards