April 2013 Weddings

Have you booked your honeymoon yet?

I feel like I should get on that... .Speaking of which... Where are you going?  We are thinkking about Alaska.  We'll do a cruise from Vancouver (we live in NY).  Thinking one-way to Anchorage, then spend a few days traveling, then fly home.   Basically, I want something adventureous, and that I'll probably not be able to do for a long time, if we have kids in the next few years.  Yay!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

Re: Have you booked your honeymoon yet?

• I have! We're staying at Ti Kaye village in St Lucia for a week after the wedding. We upgraded to one of the cottages with a plunge pool overlooking the ocean and has beautiful sunsets. I am SOOOO excited!! It's a very rustic, secluded hotel but has terrific reviews and we always wanted to try an island feel instead of the more touristy type places. We went to Aruba last year which was GORGEOUS and Cayman Islands the year before but we wanted to try something new. My dream HM was Bora Bora but that's just not in the budget right now lol.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What cruise line are you thinking about?  I used to drive a ship in AK(gov't research ship) and I've stopped in most of the ports so I might be able to give you a few pointers about ports/shore exursions etc.  My parents and I did a Holland America cruise in 2004.  A week and a half on land and a week and a half at sea.  It was waaaay better cruising than it was driving the ship :-P

We booked our honeymoon to Costa Rica as soon as we could book tickets via Delta for our travel dates and nights with Marriott.  FFIL gifted us his skymiles and FI racked up so many nights with Marriott in 3 years(he's stayed in a Marriott hotel room for over a year...not kidding) that we earned 10 free nights at the resort down there.  I didn't wait to do this because this is the part of the wedding festivities I'm the most excited about :-D
  • CryssteenCryssteen member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_have-you-booked-your-honeymoon-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:2962aa63-8d5e-4b7c-a240-bb74c2260ab5Post:c1ed1acb-c6ce-4a8b-b013-c23d579233c3">Re: Have you booked your honeymoon yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What cruise line are you thinking about?  I used to drive a ship in AK(gov't research ship) and I've stopped in most of the ports so I might be able to give you a few pointers about ports/shore exursions etc.  My parents and I did a Holland America cruise in 2004.  A week and a half on land and a week and a half at sea.  It was waaaay better cruising than it was driving the ship :-P We booked our honeymoon to Costa Rica as soon as we could book tickets via Delta for our travel dates and nights with Marriott.  FFIL gifted us his skymiles and FI racked up so many nights with Marriott in 3 years(he's stayed in a Marriott hotel room for over a year...not kidding) that we earned 10 free nights at the resort down there.  I didn't wait to do this because this is the part of the wedding festivities I'm the most excited about :-D
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh Sweet!  I have no idea what cruise line.  We have never been on a cruise, so we're kinda starting from scratch.  Most of the one that are one-way are 7 or 14 days on the ship.  We'd go for 7, then spend a few (3-4) days on land.  I'd love to do more, but I don't have enough vacay.  He's a teacher so he can take off whatever he wants - jerk ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>As for Costa Rica, I went a couple of years ago and LOVED it.   At the time I said I'd wished I'd saved it for a honeymoon trip.  But, it was still fantastic as a girlfriends' trip.   What part of the country are you going to?  What time of year?  We are waiting until July (teacher thing).</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Yep, our wedding and honeymoon will be in Mexico.

Anniversary
  • Yep, we did last month. We are going to Hawaii. 

Follow Me on Pinterest

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_have-you-booked-your-honeymoon-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:2962aa63-8d5e-4b7c-a240-bb74c2260ab5Post:67758b4b-4f77-46b9-898e-29b3eea19038">Re: Have you booked your honeymoon yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you booked your honeymoon yet? : Oh Sweet!  I have no idea what cruise line.  We have never been on a cruise, so we're kinda starting from scratch.  Most of the one that are one-way are 7 or 14 days on the ship.  We'd go for 7, then spend a few (3-4) days on land.  I'd love to do more, but I don't have enough vacay.  He's a teacher so he can take off whatever he wants - jerk ;) As for Costa Rica, I went a couple of years ago and LOVED it.   At the time I said I'd wished I'd saved it for a honeymoon trip.  But, it was still fantastic as a girlfriends' trip.   What part of the country are you going to?  What time of year?  We are waiting until July (teacher thing).
    Posted by Cryssteen[/QUOTE]

July is Alaska's best month :-)

If you get time on land, definitely check out Denali National Park.  You can take a bus tour, which is super cramped and everyone is whiny unti they start seeing the wildlife.  I counted 23 grizzly bears on our trip, a caribou and even a moose.  Crazy!!!  You can take a train from Anchorage into Denali and it is SOOO worth it.

Don't go up to Nome or Kotzebue, yea it's cool and all to cross the Arctic Circle but not worth it.  Take it from somone who's crossed the Arctic Circle and International Dateline a bajillion times: the towns are really run down and some of the locals are freakin weird.

Definitely check out Seward and the Kenai Fjords Peninsula.  You can take a boat trip around the Kenai and see lots of puffins, sea lions, seals, and orcas.  The Alaska Sea Life Center in Seward is AWESOME.  It's about a two hour drive down the Seward highway from Anchorage. 

Hit up Juneau and Ketchikan for shopping. 

Anchorage isn't real Alaska, so get outta there fast.  That's where all of the government stuff goes down, so it reminds you of being in the lower 48 again, with the exception of the plug-in stations for cars to stay warm in the winter :-) 

Fairbanks is cool but pretty out of the way, I'd skip that one this trip. 

Cordova is quaint and AWESOME.  There are otters EVERYWHERE.  There are no roads to Cordova and they like it that way.  You have to take a boat or seaplane in. Stop by Copper River Fleece if you go.

Petersburg has Viking Fest in the early summer, I believe.  If you do a little googling you might be able to get info on it.  I hear it's epic but I was always in training/on leave when the ship pulled in there.  Picture lots of random people dressed up as vikings drinking copious amounts of alcohol and throwing random people into a fake jail.  Your friends(FI) has to bail you out somehow.  A unique experience that's off the beaten path for most.

If you have time to go out to Kodiak, it's magnificent.  It takes a bit to get there but totally worth it.  Lots of bears, salmon fishing, really cool locals.  It's also home to the largest Coast Guard Air Station and is the site that all of those Coast Guard shows on the Weather Channel are filmed.  Amazing scenery and great bed and breakfasts :-)  I highly recommend the Smiling Bear Bed and Breakfast :-)  Darlene is great!

Glacier Bay National Park-FREAKING INCREDIBLE.  It's up there with Denali.  Lots of whales.  Definitely get on a cruise ship that will go in there and send a little thank you my way.  My ship surveyed the whole park so that cruise ships got updated charts and stopped running aground when they tried getting too close the the glaciers(true story).  :-)

Hope that helps!!

We're staying at Los Suenos Marriott in Herradurra April 28-May 8!!  Yay!!
  • We booked our plane tickets and apartment rental, and are starting on booking tours, museum tickets and train tickets. We are going to Rome, Florence and Pompeii from the 14th to the 25th.
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • For Alaska- Just make sure you get a room with a window or a balcony- not an inside room!! I just went in July- it was awesome. Rainy, but beautiful.

We are going to St. Lucia in January- planned before we were engaged. So we are just taking a "mini-moon" after the wedding. Driving down the day after to Anaheim- doing Downtown Disney that night, Disneyland and CA Adventure the next 2 days, and beaches another day, then home! We are taking a week trip to the big island of Hawaii for our 1 yr wedding anniversary though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Orange-good point.  Definitely make sure you have at least a window!!! The Inside Passage is awesome and you'll be surprised how close they'll put the ship to shore(10 feet from the trees if you're on my ship, hehehe) :-)
  • Orange-good point.  Definitely make sure you have at least a window!!! The Inside Passage is awesome and you'll be surprised how close they'll put the ship to shore(10 feet from the trees if you're on my ship, hehehe) :-)
  • We're in the process of booking it, neither of us have ever flown on a plane before or left the Midwest so planning a trip is new to us.  We're planning on going to the Bahamas the Monday after our wedding until Saturday.  I think we're going to book Breezes, but we haven't fully decided yet, but we'll book for sure by the end of November.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We are going to London and Paris.... Airfare booked (first class.... Thank you miles!) and apartments booked. Need to get Chunnel tickets once it gets closer to the date. It will be nice to have the trip paid for already so it'll feel like a free vacation when there is no bill after it ;)
  • After a lot of debating between an AI and a cruise, we decided a cruise. For AIs, we were undecided between Couples Swept Away and Couples Negril, both in Jamaica.
    We finally decided on a Princess cruise, going through the bahamas, St Maarten, St Thomas and Grand Turk.

We decided cruise vs the AI only because we could visit more places than being at the AI.

• We're booked on a week long Eastern Caribbean cruise. We just booked our flights yesterday and all we have left to decide is which excursions we want to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We've not booked ours yet, but we're looking to go to Sicily (from England where we live and are getting married), so it shouldn't be too expensive. I hope to get things booked around Christmas or in January.

Cryssteen, I am originally from nearby Vancouver, so if you set off for your Alaskan cruise from there it might be worth it to stay in Vancouver a couple of days, as it's lovely (or maybe you were planning to already). I can also say that if you take a route up through the Strait of Georgia (between Vancouver Island and mainland BC), if that's possible, the scenery is gorgeous. :)
  • Yes, Vancouver is awesome!  I loved all of the seaplanes :-)  The Strait of Georgia is always so calm and beautiful :-)
  • We are booked for the Maledives!  In an overwater bungalow.  We wanted originally to go to the Canary Islands but the weather won't be warm enough for laying on the beach.  I had enough hotel points to apply to our dates so that half of the trip is free and FI had enough miles that we are flying first class!  All we wanted was a place that didn't have great cell service, warm, and secluded.  Considering that you can only get to the resort by boat... mission accomplished.  I can't freakin wait.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • We booked a week in a resort in Colombia (free to us 'cause it's FI's parent's timeshare program). We'll spend a couple more weeks wandering in Venezuela & Colombia for 2.5-3 weeks total. We haven't bought plane tickets yet but will soon. Colombia turned out to be a lot less expensive than the other S. American countries we looked at. That extra cash is paying for SCUBA diving classes & gear so we can dive on the trip. :-) SO excited.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_have-you-booked-your-honeymoon-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:2962aa63-8d5e-4b7c-a240-bb74c2260ab5Post:66a7b3ee-5242-40d3-a6d1-f9842b0b8348">Re: Have you booked your honeymoon yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've not booked ours yet, but we're looking to go to Sicily (from England where we live and are getting married), so it shouldn't be too expensive. I hope to get things booked around Christmas or in January. Cryssteen , I am originally from nearby Vancouver, so if you set off for your Alaskan cruise from there it might be worth it to stay in Vancouver a couple of days, as it's lovely (or maybe you were planning to already). I can also say that if you take a route up through the Strait of Georgia (between Vancouver Island and mainland BC), if that's possible, the scenery is gorgeous. :)
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes! We plan on flying in the day before we leave on the cruise.  That way we at least get a night in Vancouver to explore.  Maybe we'll extend that an extra day. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards