Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Not sure what to do...

I've always wanted and figured my dad would walk me down the aisle, but he passed away in April of '08...now that I'm starting to do some wedding planning, I have no idea what to do. I don't know who I want to walk me down the aisle...I kind of want to do something in memory of him but I really don't know what. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had their mother walk them down the aisle?

Re: Not sure what to do...

• Having Mom walk you down the aisle is pretty common.  You could also walk alone if you'd rather not have anyone take his place.  You may want to look into bouquet photo charms.  They're a great way to honor lost loved ones, and it would be like he's still walking down the aisle with you.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My sympathies for your loss.  My DIL walked down the aisle with her mom because her dad had passed away when she was young.  It was a lovely moment to see them coming in together.  Absolutely have your mom walk with you to this new chapter in your life's journey.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Im in the same situation, my dad passed 10 yrs ago and I just always assumed my older brother would walk me down the aisle. Then I got engaged and my mom suggested my grampa do it. I was so excited, I had never even thought about that possibility. My grampa just passed away yesturday. I really dont want my brother to anymore for several reasons including the fact that we need him as a groomsman. Im trying to make it to the alter without gettin all teary-eyed so Im definitly not trying to go it alone. I dont think I could handle that. My mom offered to do it and I think that is a great idea. Ive also come across several posts like this one where people have said that Fi walked with them. Im starting to like that idea the best.
  • My father has also passed and my mother is not around. I will be walking down the aisle myself and will lso have a bouquet charm in memory of my dad. I am so sorry for you loss and I wish you the best. I tihnk it would be wonderful if your mom can walk you down the aisle.
  • I'm really sorry for your loss... do you have an uncle, grandfather, cousin, or even a male friend who you are close with? It doesn't even have to be a family member or even a man.. it could be your mother, or a close aunt or close girlfriend. Just pick someone that you love, no matter what the relationship!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would go with your mom walking you down, with the photo charm idea as well.  Or maybe even a locket (knock out the something old)?

I know for deceased relatives, we're also having candles on the alter to represent them. 
  • edited November 2009

I am so sorry for your loss.
    I think your mom would be honored to walk you down the isle. If you have something small that in rememberence of your father, his wedding ring or charm, you could attach to your bouquet. Like a PP said, it will be like he's right there with you.

You could also light a candle at the church a few days before your wedding. You being in a church, chances are, he will be there with you :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards