Wedding Woes
Options

Buyer's Remorse

Hi all,

Is anyone else freaking out about seeing the bottom line on their wedding balance sheets?  I know weddings are a lot of money, and I'm willing to spend in order to have a wonderful experience with my FH.  This isn't really about the money:  We can definitely afford a bigger wedding than we're having.  It's just that I'm worried that my regret over the expense will outweigh my enjoyment of the day.

Eloping is not really an option - my very traditional parents would be crushed, and I don't want to disappoint them.

Is anyone else having the problem?  If so, how are you dealing with it?  How do I decide?

Re: Buyer's Remorse

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my parents paid for most of mine, so i didn't worry too much about it.  also, the parts we paid for were budgeted to the last penny.  dh and i don't mess around when it comes to money.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    When planning mine, I lost my damn mind completely and started doing weird things like trying to sew my own dress out of discount brown fabric (I don't sew) to save money.  I get where you're coming from.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    the only major thing i paid for was my dress. My ILs hosted/paid for about 99% of our wedding. I think we were more concerned about saving money than they were - but it was theirs to spend.

in terms of the wedding, i would just say to make sure you don't spend more than you can afford, and to think of potential other uses for the money and determine what you want more. $5K in floral arrangements or great honemoon/vacation. $20K for food or potential house downpayment/closing costs/etc.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I cut what I couldn't afford.  If the spending is making you sick, quit spending!

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hate it when there's a double post and I answer in the one that dies. Here's what I said in the dup.

If you really can afford it and really think it's worth the money, then there's nothing to stress about. If I were losing sleep over it, I'd take another look at my finances and/or readjust the number I thought I was comfortable with.
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    edited December 2011
    Did anyone else think this post was about having "buyer's remorse" for the groom you chose?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was hoping, Aunt Flo.  That'd be more interesting.

And I disagree with everyone else that stressing over spending money on one day means you can't afford it or should spend it elsewhere.  Maybe we like holding onto our money, okay?  Maybe when we save up for the wedding and see that balance in the wedding account, our pupils turn into dollar signs and we start thinking of now nice it would be to hoard it instead of spending it, okay?
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not saying stress automatically means you can't afford it, but I do think it means you should probably prioritize differently. If you look at your bank account and would honestly rather spend that money on Star Wars action figures than a party, I won't judge.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't want to spend it at all.  I want to get it cashed out into ones and put it in a kiddie pool and roll around in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With chocolate syrup.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Damn pic didn't work.

But here's the link:  imagewww.mysteryautoincome.com/Images/Girl_Money_Pool.jpg" alt="http://www.mysteryautoincome.com/Images/Girl_Money_Pool.jpg" />
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    sometimes i think that kuus wants to be a stripping cancer researcher.  "yeah, baby!  you like that agar agar!?  uhh!  i want to prep YOUR slides."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kuus - I'd like to stuff my mattress with my money. F money market accounts...I want to be able to SEE my money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know, right?

And that's stripping µbiologist to you, hmo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards